General Admissions & OTCAS lower gpa? no chance of getting into OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occupationaltherapist2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my gpa is little over 3.0 (between 3.1-3.2). Do you think this will hurt my chances of getting into OT school? Should I focus on OTA schools

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, my gpa is little over 3.0 (between 3.1-3.2). Do you think this will hurt my chances of getting into OT school? Should I focus on OTA schools
hey i thought the same thing , the thing i would say is apply to schools from all across the united states if possible i personally applied to eleven and got into 1 , thank God but GRE and hours is something you want to work on and don’t give up ! you can do this

I currently have a 3.15-3.37 ish depending on schools and OTCAS but don't give up... I got extremely involved with leadership positions to help boost my application

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with a 3.18 GPA and a 3.3 pre-req. Graduating on Saturday. You got this!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got accepted into an OTD program with a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 3.5 post-bac/last 60 units GPA. You'll never know what will happen unless you try! :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just got accepted into an OTD program with a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 3.5 post-bac/last 60 units GPA. You'll never know what will happen unless you try! :)
Would you mind sharing which one?

I graduated from undergrad with a 2.95 GPA, and boosted it up to a 3.06 after taking my missing prereqs at a community college. I applied to 10 OT programs and was accepted to 2. You can absolutely get into OT school with a lower GPA. I focused on doing well on the GRE, writing an awesome personal statement, doing a lot of observation hours, and getting good letters of recommendation. You never know unless you try!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
OMG this was so inspirational! Thank you I needed this! And Im sure others will love this as well. Im currently at a 3.1, I had a rough semester and my GPA went from 3.4 to 3.1. I'm still missing abnormal and developmental psych and I'm gonna retake classes. But I really needed this!

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated from undergrad with a 2.95 GPA, and boosted it up to a 3.06 after taking my missing prereqs at a community college. I applied to 10 OT programs and was accepted to 2. You can absolutely get into OT school with a lower GPA. I focused on doing well on the GRE, writing an awesome personal statement, doing a lot of observation hours, and getting good letters of recommendation. You never know unless you try!

Wow congrats! may I ask what schools you applied to?

Should definitely apply to OT schools first before OTA! I had a 3.06 overall and a 3.7/3.8 pre req. Okay GRE scores. And I got into 3 schools out of 8! Look into job opportunities, observation hours a good personal statement and letters of reccomendation!

Reactions: 1 users
Courses can be looked at different lens. Examples which I am aware of include:
1. Overall GPA
2. Most recent 60 semester units.
3. Pre-req
4. Some school emphasizes more on science courses.

Some schools have a firm cut off while some are looser with guidelines when considering other areas. I would look at your dream schools and what their criteria are so there is a more objective anchor when assessing how competitive you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Should definitely apply to OT schools first before OTA! I had a 3.06 overall and a 3.7/3.8 pre req. Okay GRE scores. And I got into 3 schools out of 8! Look into job opportunities, observation hours a good personal statement and letters of reccomendation!
What schools did you get into?