Lower GPA paired with RPCV status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have a cGPA3.38 sGPA3.12 undergraduate. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I worked as a nursing assistant for a year and am now in the Peace Corps as a health volunteer for the next two years. I also worked with refugees and immigrants in college. My dream school right now is Howard University as they have a huge push for serving the underserved.
Thoughts? Chances? MCAT score to shoot for?
I'll be taking inorganic 1 and 2 when I get back and taking an MCAT prep course seeing as I've been outta the game awhile.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I have a cGPA3.38 sGPA3.12 undergraduate. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I worked as a nursing assistant for a year and am now in the Peace Corps as a health volunteer for the next two years. I also worked with refugees and immigrants in college. My dream school right now is Howard University as they have a huge push for serving the underserved.
Thoughts? Chances? MCAT score to shoot for?
I'll be taking inorganic 1 and 2 when I get back and taking an MCAT prep course seeing as I've been outta the game awhile.
Howard is one of the 3 HBCU medical schools. 25% of the black physicians practicing in the US attended Howard. Not all of their students are UIM but the large majority are. They are looking for folks with a lifetime commitment of service to their target population. An MCAT of 27 (their median) or better would be a good target if you are not a representative of their target community.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I feel like I fit the bill for a lifetime of service and I don't have to fake it.
Is it worth a shot without killing myself to raise my GPA? I need to take inorganic chem anyway so that'll do something. Not much but something. I was thinking about tacking on a few extra science classes but if I can do well on the MCAT and well in inorganic too, then should I forget the extra classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I feel like I fit the bill for a lifetime of service and I don't have to fake it.
Is it worth a shot without killing myself to raise my GPA? I need to take inorganic chem anyway so that'll do something. Not much but something. I was thinking about tacking on a few extra science classes but if I can do well on the MCAT and well in inorganic too, then should I forget the extra classes?
You can absolutely become a physician with your current gpa and an MCAT of 27 or better.
Depending on your state of residence, it may be at a DO school.

Realistically, how far does Peace Corps go?

I'm not using PC as a resume booster, but since it is anyway I was just wondering.

Thanks for the input! That definitely makes me feel better.

I don't think it will rescue your GPAs, but with a killer MCAT score, you might get some love at more service-oriented MD schools. As of right now, you're fine for most DO programs. I have a LOT of respect for Peace Corp volunteers and I'd go to the wall for one at my Adcom meeting.

Realistically, how far does Peace Corps go?

I'm not using PC as a resume booster, but since it is anyway I was just wondering.

Thanks for the input! That definitely makes me feel better.

Any thoughts on other service minded schools? Specifically DOs? Howard will be my top/reach but anyone else I should look into?
I was thinking UNECOM since I'm from Maine.