Cyclechick

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My grad GPA in music is a 3.5, but my undergrad in music is a 3.8. I haven't taken the science classes or the MCAT yet. What do y'all think, does having a lower grad GPA hurt me? I also heard that AMCAS considers the Grad GPA less than UG. Or will they just add it all together?

Thanks!

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's not low enough to really matter. You haven't taken the science classes--that's another year or two of classes to start doing better.

Of course everything hurts you if it's bad... the only difference is varying degrees of how much.

I would say this won't hurt you too badly as long as you show an upward trend in your science classes.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In general, your grad school GPA won't be considered by allopathic med schools. It isn't low enough to really hurt you, IMO. Undergrad GPA (which will include your postbac classes) and grad GPA are never merged on an AMCAS application. They are merged on an AACOMAS application for most DO schools.

You're in a very good position right now, having a high uGPA. If you perform similiarly in the prerequisite classes, you'll be in great shape come application time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads