Lower Grad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyclechick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grad GPA in music is a 3.5, but my undergrad in music is a 3.8. I haven't taken the science classes or the MCAT yet. What do y'all think, does having a lower grad GPA hurt me? I also heard that AMCAS considers the Grad GPA less than UG. Or will they just add it all together?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not low enough to really matter. You haven't taken the science classes--that's another year or two of classes to start doing better.

Of course everything hurts you if it's bad... the only difference is varying degrees of how much.

I would say this won't hurt you too badly as long as you show an upward trend in your science classes.

In general, your grad school GPA won't be considered by allopathic med schools. It isn't low enough to really hurt you, IMO. Undergrad GPA (which will include your postbac classes) and grad GPA are never merged on an AMCAS application. They are merged on an AACOMAS application for most DO schools.

You're in a very good position right now, having a high uGPA. If you perform similiarly in the prerequisite classes, you'll be in great shape come application time.