Lower score on second MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxaiiree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my second MCAT score went down by ONE point: --- and good writing score, what are my chances and do I HAVE to retake it a third time?

THANX!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With that verbal reasoning, some schools are going to screen you out. Even the schools that don't screen you out because of it initially aren't going to be clamoring to get your attention unless your app is stellar in every other way. I'd definitely say retake it and figure out what went wrong on VR.

EDIT: was the 7 a fluke? Was it higher on the first go round?

With that verbal reasoning, some schools are going to screen you out. Even the schools that don't screen you out because of it initially aren't going to be clamoring to get your attention unless your app is stellar in every other way. I'd definitely say retake it and figure out what went wrong on VR.

EDIT: was the 7 a fluke? Was it higher on the first go round?

No, I got 7 on my first one too and English is my second language.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you aiming for MD? The overall score is a little low and that 7 may kill you at some schools (as in you will be screened out if any section is under an 8).

No improvement is not good. It could make an adcom question whether you've reached your peak or if you can handle the med school courseload. Unfortunately, I think that you will need to take it again if you apply MD. And you should shoot to improve by at least 3 points or so.

For DO you may be fine just moving on and working on another part of the app. I'm not as familiar with DO admissions and multiple MCAT scores, so maybe someone else could weigh in on that. The score is certainly competitive enough.

No, I got 7 on my first one too and English is my second language.

Second language doesn't seem to be a good excuse for most schools - you're going to be a doctor in an English speaking school/practice for the rest of your life so there's no reason you shouldn't have mastered it by the time you start applying.

I agree with everything Barcu said, just keep your chin up and try try again! :)

Second language doesn't seem to be a good excuse for most schools - you're going to be a doctor in an English speaking school/practice for the rest of your life so there's no reason you shouldn't have mastered it by the time you start applying.

I agree with everything Barcu said, just keep your chin up and try try again! :)

Thanks you. But I don't have time to retake it again this year. Do you think there is still a chance for me to get in this year?