Lower scores with more retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcluck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a native English speaker so Verbal and Reading were pretty goners, but I was confident on the Bio, Quantitative and Chemistry. However, for some reason, the more PCAT retakes I took, the lower the scores I got - to the point of getting 28 on composite. Adding to that, my parents were the ones who opened the letter. I saw it on my desk after coming home from work, FULLY OPENED. It's a total slap on the face. I'm furious and disappointed at the same time. Damn it! I don't really know what else to do.

Members don't see this ad.

damn......a 28 thats hard to recover from.........id suggest getting the kaplan book and doing some intensive solo study and maybe even signing up for a pcat course

Why do you keep bolding and enlarging people's scores? It's rude and obnoxious! Do you have nothing better to do with your time than humiliate people that are coming here for advice? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Will you get a life gwalla or whatever heck your name is. This is one of those people that always end up dropping out of pharm School. Sometimes they try to make your life horrible by being ridiculously competitive in class or somehow kissing up to a professors arse. seriously, jump off a cliff or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Abcluck,

You can do it!

As for Gwalla,

You are scum.

damn......a 28 thats hard to recover from.........id suggest getting the kaplan book and doing some intensive solo study and maybe even signing up for a pcat course

anythings possible, its not hard to recover from. i got a 50 the first time i took the pcat with 1 week studying but eventually i got a 95 composite. The person who originally wrote the post need to look at how they did in their classes bc if they also didnt do good then maybe pharmacy isnt right for them bc even though i had gotten a 50 first time i had alot of A's and few B's in my classes. so look at where u are, and whether u can do better in pcat and ur classes. gl

I'm not a native English speaker so Verbal and Reading were pretty goners, but I was confident on the Bio, Quantitative and Chemistry. However, for some reason, the more PCAT retakes I took, the lower the scores I got - to the point of getting 28 on composite. Adding to that, my parents were the ones who opened the letter. I saw it on my desk after coming home from work, FULLY OPENED. It's a total slap on the face. I'm furious and disappointed at the same time. Damn it! I don't really know what else to do.

Maybe you have some test anxiety because you probably know more than a 28...I would sign up for a kaplan test course, and take many, many full length practice tests as if it were the real thing. sit down in a quiet room, and time it.

The kaplan course brought my score up to 88 composite from a 59.

its not hard to recover from a 28%...

Last edited:

How did you get into pharmacy school?. you don't realy have that compassionate altribute that a good pharmacist should have. Don't pull people down any lower than they are; remember you too was at one point or the other had been challenged with some issues of life: Learn to give admonitions and advice that can turn the situation around and bring a smile and hope to someone's face.

I too am not a native speeker of english and the oct exam wasn't my 1st nor 2nd. Although i am yet to see my result, but i want to admonish you from what I had made up my mind to do that you should give all thanks to God in every situation. I admite that this might sound too unrealistic to do given the fact that you've said you've had many retakes. But consider the fact that having the opportunity to take pcat is a blessing at least you're alive: WHEN THERE IS LIFE THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE. I have read in this forume of tons of student who thought they can't make it through pcat due to low scores but were able to break that barrier at one point or the other.

Now my humble advice is to do a serious search for those that had have 90% and above on pcat in this forume and try and yeild to their advice . Or take some time off to devote 3-6 months (honestly this is not to long time to prepare for a graduate standardized test like the pcat) and enroll in Kaplan or Dr. Collins course for pcat. Another option is to truely examine yourself [b/cos you know you better than anyone ealse in this world] and make sure you've truely understood the materials you 've been thought during your classes. Well, if verything seems to be be positive then maybe take higher science classes this winter and enroll in kaplan during the summer then take this thing again (tell yrself this will be the last) on Aug. [ These is my one cent ad.at least these are what I'll do if God says am not quite ready to go in this year.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I probably wasn't fully prepared for the test. And, during the last test, I accidentally skipped a question on the scantron without knowing on two or three sections until the last minute. Sadly, I didn't mark the answers on the exam booklet. I had to go back and erase the whole thing, I might have messed it up there. Then again, maybe it was just an excuse. When is a good time to bubble in the answers? After each question (I did that)? All at once at the last minute? Well, I have one more chance for 2008 admission, gotta start cramming.

As for Gwalla, thanks everyone for standing up for me but I wasn't offended by his words. Even I know a 28 is bad, though I was a bit surprise by the enlarged font.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I probably wasn't fully prepared for the test. And, during the last test, I accidentally skipped a question on the scantron without knowing on two or three sections until the last minute. Sadly, I didn't mark the answers on the exam booklet. I had to go back and erase the whole thing, I might have messed it up there. Then again, maybe it was just an excuse. When is a good time to bubble in the answers? After each question (I did that)? All at once at the last minute? Well, I have one more chance for 2008 admission, gotta start cramming.

As for Gwalla, thanks everyone for standing up for me but I wasn't offended by his words. Even I know a 28 is bad, though I was a bit surprise by the enlarged font.

As for one more chance for 2008 admission, I know a good majority of schools will not consider the January test. Just something to think about.

I would do 5-8 questions at a time, then bubble in the scantron 5-8 at a time, in sections. I would turn the page and do all the questions on those 2 pages, fill in the bubbles, circle the questions I wasnt sure about, then move on. THen when you are done, if you have time, go back to the circled questions to review.

this way, you make sure to do all the questions, especially the easy ones and do the hard ones last, since every question is equal, worth 1 point.

T When is a good time to bubble in the answers? After each question (I did that)? All at once at the last minute?

Right after you finish a page. Do not wait until the last minute. If you do, start bubbling in when they announce that there's only five minutes left. For the reading part, answer all the questions per passage first before you bubble in. IMO, bubbling in after every question wastes precious time. Also, it breaks your concentration. If you bubble in after every page your brain will a few seconds to rest before you tackle the next questions. Mental fatigue and lack of concentration are your worst enemies during the test. Just my opinion.

Actually, the lower the score is, the easier it is to recover from it. Try not to be nervous, and study at your best. I have seen a lot of people even triple their scores over a course of time. You sure can :)

I would suggest Kaplan too. I studied mostly from it and did well first time. It has plenty of practice questions and exams as well as test taking strategies that were helpful for the PCAT.