lower step 2 than step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anthony78001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I found out today that I scored a 219 on my USMLE 2, my Step 1 score was a 223. Comlex 1 551. waiting for comlex 2 scores. I am not sure what happened I got a 236 and 240 on both Uworld practice exams, I think I had time management issues/anxiety on the real test. I am interested in Emergency Medicine and had planned on applying to almost every single AOA and ACGME program even before I got my scores. I am trying to not let my Step 2 score define me and continue to rock my auditions. Any advice or thoughts from any students that were in similar situations would be appreciated. Am I out of the race for EM? I had hoped that getting excellent SLOEs would hold more wait and reassure programs that my clinical knowledge is greater than what my board score demonstrates. I have thought about backup options but I know I wont be as happy with backups like IM or FM.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you still have a good shot at EM assuming you get good SLOEs... You should definitely apply to mostly community programs (~120 programs IMO)... I don't think you need a back up plan as long as you apply strategically (mostly community programs in the midwest and the deep south).

I was told that even though we know the avg is higher on STEP 2, as long as you maintain a similar number then usually it'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A drop of 4 points, while not ideal, I wouldn't consider a kiss of death or even close to a red flag. I'd say it would make someone ask you what happened, so a good explanation is needed. LORs and auditions will go a long way for you.

A drop of 4 points, while not ideal, I wouldn't consider a kiss of death or even close to a red flag. I'd say it would make someone ask you what happened, so a good explanation is needed. LORs and auditions will go a long way for you.
OP's step1 ~ 40 percentile but his step2 ~10 percentile, while not the kiss of death, but it's not a good position to be in for EM since I have read in this forum that EM look at step2 more favorably than step1.

Hi everyone! I found out today that I scored a 219 on my USMLE 2, my Step 1 score was a 223. Comlex 1 551. waiting for comlex 2 scores. I am not sure what happened I got a 236 and 240 on both Uworld practice exams, I think I had time management issues/anxiety on the real test. I am interested in Emergency Medicine and had planned on applying to almost every single AOA and ACGME program even before I got my scores. I am trying to not let my Step 2 score define me and continue to rock my auditions. Any advice or thoughts from any students that were in similar situations would be appreciated. Am I out of the race for EM? I had hoped that getting excellent SLOEs would hold more wait and reassure programs that my clinical knowledge is greater than what my board score demonstrates. I have thought about backup options but I know I wont be as happy with backups like IM or FM.

Don't sweat what you cannot change. Focus on what is to be and make the best of it. Numbers alone won't make or mar your chances. A program that wants you will take you despite (not because of) your board scores. Stats are not everything these days. If you fall short with your numbers, make up for with with LORs, personal statement and interview day experience. Having said that, be sure to apply to as many programs as you can afford.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all of the advice and well wishes. I will definitly apply to most programs and will continue to hopefully get great SLOEs and LOR. I'm doing better now than I was when I first received that news. I'll definitly try to not sweat what I cant change and continue moving forward. Thank you very much again, auditions are hard away from friends and in new cities month after month. I really needed the advice.

Hi everyone
I wanted to say thank you for all of your words of encouragement. I’m finishing my sub Is and I have 10 interviews so far.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone
I wanted to say thank you for all of your words of encouragement. I’m finishing my sub Is and I have 10 interviews so far.
Good update, we dont usually get to see these, and I know it will help someone in the future. You must have killed those SLOEs, get it brother!