Lower than low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiamelina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a terrible gpa my cm gpa is 2.5 I have an upward trend and my last semester I got 3.3 which didn't do much to boosting my gpa but it did something

So my question is even if I score well like really well should I apply for the may cycle or try to take classes over?

I considered post bac but it's so expensive. I live in NYC. If anyone can give me suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty much willing to do anything to get into med school.

I have 200 shadowing hour, research marginally significant, and really good recommendations and connections.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too sure on this and what stats are necessary to be competitive (you should look more into it), but I would take advantage of the grade replacement policy for AACOMAS & retake any classes you got Cs, Ds, or Fs in.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay but that is for DO school. For med school should I do a post bacc or masters in bio medical science to show I can get the grades

Members don't see this ad :)
A 2.5 GPA for many of the post-baccs my friends went to wouldn't even get your foot through the door. Many of them needed a 3.0 GPA. What is stopping you from DO? You are first going to need to do community college classwork and retaking classes to bring that GPA to at least a 3.0 just to apply to many post-bacc programs. Remember MDs do not use grade replacement. Then you can apply to a post-bacc probably, which you will need to bring that higher and at least get a 3.7+. A 3.3 GPA for one semester is not good - most people here say positive trends are 3.7+. A good score will not help you unless you can show you can keep up with the coursework.

A DO degree is still a medical school degree. What do you mean it's not a med school? Your current GPA won't even yield DO interviews.

yea unfortunately that gpa will get you no where not DO or MD. youd need to retake almost all science classes at a college. you dont need to do an official post bacc program or a masters but you will need to redo all courses with anything below a B-.

Okay but that is for DO school. For med school should I do a post bacc or masters in bio medical science to show I can get the grades

DO school IS Medical School.

For MD schools, you will most likely need at least a 3-year track record of 3.75 or better GPA in hardcore science classes and an overall GPA > 3.2 to remove the stench of your 2.5, and even then, there's no guarantees.

DO schools offer a quicker route

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah well that gpa is my undergrad gpa and I'm taking a biochem course out of pocket right now at hunter college and I currently have an A with the semester about to end in 2 weeks.

I spent a lot of money and a year of my life trying to increase my GPA. Took about 30 hours of post-bacc courses, getting an A in every single class. Went from a 3.0 to a 3.2 on my AMCAS app. For AACOMAS, it went from a 3.0 to a 3.5. To get my GPA to a 3.5 (soft minimum for MD acceptance) on the AMCAS app would require 40 more hours, all A's (if I remember my calculations correctly). I'm going DO route.

If being an osteopathic physician is so appalling, I'd look into the University of Queensland program in Australia, for US students. IIRC, their GPA minimum is 3.0.

Yeah well that gpa is my undergrad gpa and I'm taking a biochem course out of pocket right now at hunter college and I currently have an A with the semester about to end in 2 weeks.

That matters. A single class isn't going to save you. You need multiple and many units to improve just to even make it to DO. 4 years of credits amounted to a 2.5 GPA. You're going to need many years to change that and match those units. They look at undergrad GPA. Most people on here freak out over a 2.9 that they get after 2 years of school - then they have to work hard for 2 years (equal amount of units) to bring that up to a 4.0 and most times they take on heavier loads and get straight As.

When you have a low uGPA they say fix the undergrad GPA before you even think of taking higher level masters as that doesn't factor into your uGPA. You need to first repair with CC classes just to get a 3.0 and then into a post-bacc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any of you recommend to retake classes at a community college then go for post bac or masters degree

Would any of you recommend to retake classes at a community college then go for post bac or masters degree

I would retake classes at your undergraduate school. Some schools will replace the old grade when you retake a class, so it will help bring your GPA up. Some schools still show both grades, so see which one your school does. There are post bac programs that can increase your chances of getting an interview at that particular medical school. Rutgers has a program like that, and there are probably others. Best of luck to you

Both - here's why. To gain acceptance, completing (and succeeding in) a Special Masters Program (SMP) is likely the best route. Problem is, they are selective in who they take into their programs. You'd need to take CC classes to boost your current GPA. Then they'd take you into their program. They like to report a certain percentage of their graduates who get into medical school - hence the selection criteria.

Though i did not get into the SMP I applied to, I retook classes at combo CC and University and boosted my GPA. Bypassed the SMP altogether, and will start school next summer.

My school shows both and I graduated already so I would need to be a non matric. Yeah Rutgers has a bms program which is what I'm interested in since it's very close to me

Both - here's why. To gain acceptance, completing (and succeeding in) a Special Masters Program (SMP) is likely the best route. Problem is, they are selective in who they take into their programs. You'd need to take CC classes to boost your current GPA. Then they'd take you into their program. They like to report a certain percentage of their graduates who get into medical school - hence the selection criteria.

Though i did not get into the SMP I applied to, I retook classes at combo CC and University and boosted my GPA. Bypassed the SMP altogether, and will start school next summer.

Was it looked down upon because you took cc classes. I'm taking a class non metric now with hunter but they are extremely expensive. I want to take cc because it's cheaper

Rising GPA trends are always good. But a single good semester won't convince any Adcom anywhere that you can handle med school. NO med school in the world is doing you any favors by admitting you, when you're at high risk of flunking out.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors. Work for a few years, save up some money, and then hit the reinvention path.

Your connections will, at best net you a polite interview, which will be followed by a polite waitlisting, which in turn will be followed by an even more polite rejection.

How are your ECs? Do you have patient contact experience. Nonclinical volunteering?

Hey I have a terrible gpa my cm gpa is 2.5 I have an upward trend and my last semester I got 3.3 which didn't do much to boosting my gpa but it did something

So my question is even if I score well like really well should I apply for the may cycle or try to take classes over?

I considered post bac but it's so expensive. I live in NYC. If anyone can give me suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty much willing to do anything to get into med school.

I have 200 shadowing hour, research marginally significant, and really good recommendations and connections.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Rising GPA trends are always good. But a single good semester won't convince any Adcom anywhere that you can handle med school. NO med school in the world is doing you any favors by admitting you, when you're at high risk of flunking out.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors. Work for a few years, save up some money, and then hit the reinvention path.

Your connections will, at best net you a polite interview, which will be followed by a polite waitlisting, which in turn will be followed by an even more polite rejection.

How are your ECs? Do you have patient contact experience. Nonclinical volunteering?

Okay. Honestly DO looks more promising and I'm trying to spend a little money as possible. As well as stay in the area because my husband won't leave with me to another state. I'm going to my undergrad school tomorrow to see if I can take a few classes over. If I retake classes as a non matric will it count as grade replacement for my undergrad classes?
My Ec are:
I was a manager of all bio related labs at my ug school
I worked at L'Oréal as an associate chemist in research and development
I was on the track and field team from 6th grade to my junior year of college D1
I have 100+ shadowing hours with a md vascular surgeon
I tutored in French
Class aid for genetics and cell biology
I volunteer at the holy apostle church feeding homeless as well as a group called junkyard dogs where you clean streets and Gift wrapped toys for tots.
I'm not sure if high school ec count but I was editor of my school news paper, and was in Chorus, creative writing club and drama club.

Thank you for your help

200 * shadowing ***

You can retake classes anywhere and it will count for grade replacement .

The one important thing you're missing is patient contact volunteering. You need to show Adcoms that you know what
I'm getting into and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 years.

Okay. Honestly DO looks more promising and I'm trying to spend a little money as possible. As well as stay in the area because my husband won't leave with me to another state. I'm going to my undergrad school tomorrow to see if I can take a few classes over. If I retake classes as a non matric will it count as grade replacement for my undergrad classes?
My Ec are:
I was a manager of all bio related labs at my ug school
I worked at L'Oréal as an associate chemist in research and development
I was on the track and field team from 6th grade to my junior year of college D1
I have 100+ shadowing hours with a md vascular surgeon
I tutored in French
Class aid for genetics and cell biology
I volunteer at the holy apostle church feeding homeless as well as a group called junkyard dogs where you clean streets and Gift wrapped toys for tots.
I'm not sure if high school ec count but I was editor of my school news paper, and was in Chorus, creative writing club and drama club.

Thank you for your help

I can testify to this OP! The first YEAR I decided I wanted to go to medical school I failed every class. I literally failed bio and gen chem two semester in a row (I went through a divorce those semester so I was wrecked!) Sense then I have retook my classes and proceeded to obtain 3.7+ every semester for the last six semesters. With grade replacement from that year of failure my sGPA is ~3.8.... At first I was really bothered about not having a chance going to MD, but the more I thought about it I really don't give a dang! I find grade replacement has giving me a fighting chance to get into medical school, and I hope it works out for me. Be patient delaying of gratification is a painful burden but it will make you a better doctor/person!

Reactions: 3 users