lower tier medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rblessin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now obviously I know that there are no "easy" med schools to get in to but I hear a lot about lower tier medical schools that are slightly easier to get into then others. What are the medical school's that people are talking about when they say lower tier. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The "lower tier" medical schools are usually those with lower USNews rankings and lower matriculant GPA/MCAT averages. Grab the MSAR (the online version), it has lots of useful info. I've heard the recent paper version isn't that useful any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the lower tier schools aren't really options for the average applicant. These schools include HBCU's and select state schools (Puerto Rican schools, schools in WV, MS, SC, AR, NM, etc.).

Popular mid-low tier schools are private schools that don't favor IS applicants - among these Drexel, NYMC, and GWU. These schools regularly receive over 10k applications a year meaning that ~25% of all people applying to med school apply to these schools.