LowerDiv GPA v. UpperDiv GPA (ScIenCes..!?!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bootylicious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

If you're informed about this situation, I'd like to know how med. school looks at lower division GPA v. upper division GPA in the sciences. Let's say that I have a mediocre LD GPA, but a good UD GPA yet my overall is mediocre. I don't have an upward trend since freshman though - it's more like a wave function graph. :p

THANX in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you tell us what your cumulative and semester GPA's are? If you insist on an answer without any further details, fine - you're going to have issues. There shouldn't be any downward trends in your BCPM GPA, let alone oscillating trends.

If you have so-so basic science grades but all strong upper level science grades, you may be okay, as long as the trend isn't some sine wave. That probably won't fly.

Give us more info, chief. And please don't type LikE tHiS - iT's AnnoYinG! :D

-z

I hear as long as it's an upward trend, it should be ok..

I'm in a similar boat - my lower div gpa (o chem, physics, etc) came out to like a science gpa of 3.0, overall 3.3.

BUT my upper divs came out to science gpa of roughly 3.6-3.8 and my overall is now a 3.5-3.6ish.

same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so SoRry... teehee...

Okay, here's my GPA:

lower div. (Sciences) - 3.16
upper div. (sciences) - 3.8
overall (cumulative) - 3.3 (damn PSYCHOLOGY classes - grades are Cs)

lower div. (Sciences) - 3.16
upper div. (sciences) - 3.8
overall (cumulative) - 3.3 (damn PSYCHOLOGY classes - grades are Cs)

The upper level sciences are good. They show improvement over your lackluster basic sciences. Did you get D's or worse in any of your basic sciences? Those you'll need to retake. Your cumulative is on the low end of being acceptable. Sure, people get in with 3.3's. Get a 35+ on the MCAT, apply broadly to low- and mid-tier schools, and you may get a look.

Best,
-z

Whoa:eek: .... MCAT=35+ ?!? gawd damn! Med skool seems out of reach :( ...

It's not. Plenty of people get 35+. It won't be easy (and I didn't do it). You need to consider what people call the "magic number". It's your cumulative GPA x 10 plus your MCAT. Then you compare your number to the numbers at schools you want to apply to. Most mid-tier schools have numbers around 64-69. To be in that range with a 3.3, you'll need at MINIMUM a nice, balanced 31 (just to get to 64).

Best,
-z

hey if someone could please clarify what are lower and upper division GPA's? is it a new way to calculate your GPA? Thanks in advance!

No. We're talking about basic sciences (Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, Orgo 1/2) as "lower division". "Upper division" science courses are the other ones like Biochemistry, Genetics, etc.

Ohhh! gotcha.. another way for adcoms to scrutinize your application?