Quantcast

Lowest GPA anyone has gotten into med school with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unepetitevoix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the lowest GPA you've ever heard someone getting into med school with, and what circumstances allowed them to get in? Thanks!

While it is prolly not the lowest... MilkmanAl (who makes posts all the time) has a GPA that was in the 2.9-3.0 range (for one of them). He got in, but he had a really high MCAT.

Last edited:

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MilkmanAl is the lowest I've seen, but in reality, a B average isn't really at bad anyway.. no one's getting in with like a 2.5 if that's what you're looking for.

Schlockinz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a friend that made it with a 2.75 with upward trend and ridiculous MCAT score. Apparently he pulled off the interview and had good letters.

He's at a US MD school

Northeastmonk

Reaction score
I go to a midwest school... currently transferring after realizing the tuition is way beyond what I need to spend. 11k a sem is ridiculous ontop of their med school being #3 in the worlds most debt out of school. lol My GPA has flux because I did not have any major science classes in HS. But I've kept it in the 3.4-3.6 range for a couple years now.

I hate constantly talking about GPAs, so I volunteer as much as possible. I have retaken a few classes, but pass with As/Bs.

Its interesting hearing about those with perfect GPAs, but seriously not everyone is a rocket scientist and there are always a few who get in with low GPAs.

I'll take a foreign school, considering most doctors up here either went local or international to med school.

I'm not also a traditional student. I have an associates in an unrelated field and numerous jobs over the years. Those who do the traditional rout tend to get on my nerves because its been from HS to Med school with some. I'm not that old. But sometimes I wish I was deaf before lecture starts.

Those who do the traditional rout tend to get on my nerves because its been from HS to Med school with some. I'm not that old. But sometimes I wish I was deaf before lecture starts.

I'm on vacation, thoroughly enjoying it, but went to camps today to attend a neat lecture that the entire community was invited to attend including government officials. The Governor sent a representative.

I sat in the front row with the old farts like me, hanging onto every word of the well known, respected MD authors and researchers doing the speaking.

In the second row behind me were the new first year MD students. At one point I glanced behind me and every single one of the new MD first years students in the second row were texting on their cell phones right in front of the speakers. I was aghast. A professor sitting next to me shook his head in disgust.

It's a generational thing, my spouse tells me. My kids aren't that way nor my friends kids. But I am clearly out of the loop. I'm not here to raise those MD students/kids. I'm not going to take responsibility for them. They have parents for that. But the bar is definitely set too low for future medical doctors who are texting in front of noted MD speakers IMNSHO.

It's like they are still in High school.

Alas, They are merely doing what they've been taught. Who's to blame?
It's not my job.

I have learned though that the adage is true: medical school has a way of maturing students quickly. I've lightened up a bit, and my classmates, some who attended the conference, later remarked to me they were outraged by the first year students immaturity texting during the presentation,

I bit my lip. And just smiled. One of them came late to classes during our first year habitually, played on Facebook and usually was embarrassed when the professors called on him during class. My what a difference a year makes.

I'm looking forward to seeing my classmates again. Maybe they've grown and matured as well.

whatever5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked the MSAR to see. The lowest GPAs (10th percentile) I could find was Howard at 3.01. The first non-historically black one was University of North Dakota at 3.07.

Radon XP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone who had a 1.7 and 17 MCAT and got into a Top 40 MD school.

Jennyfishy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the lowest GPA you've ever heard someone getting into med school with, and what circumstances allowed them to get in? Thanks!

I have a friend who was 3.96 throughout undergrad, 33 or 34 MCAT, 2 years working at a student clinic, and I think "research." Kind of arrogant and self-entitled would be the best way to describe him. Only school he could get into was Univ Toledo, rejected everywhere else.

Another friend with 3.9, 37 MCAT, meh ECs, rejected everywhere too, only 1 interview offer.

Friend with 3.2ish, 29 (I think 27 or 28, actually) MCAT, goes to UCSF/accepted off waitlist, I believe. Not considered URM, killer ECs, very likable person (nailed his interviews - 5 MD acceptances, most to top 20s). But like what others I saying, I wouldn't recommend this either if you were in this situation. His ECs more than made up for his academics :laugh: