karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
489
2
Status
Medical Student
I know this isnt the most optimistic thread, but as the days drag on as I wait for my secondary, this has been on my mind. Whats the lowest gpa you guys know of, or have had, that ended up getting an interview at CCOM? i only ask bc i have a gpa on the lower end, with a better MCAT, and am not sure of what to expect. A lot of my friends are in the same boat, and MDapplicants doesn't have a ton of midwestern applicants listed..
thanks.
 

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
488
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
karizma098 said:
I know this isnt the most optimistic thread, but as the days drag on as I wait for my secondary, this has been on my mind. Whats the lowest gpa you guys know of, or have had, that ended up getting an interview at CCOM? i only ask bc i have a gpa on the lower end, with a better MCAT, and am not sure of what to expect. A lot of my friends are in the same boat, and MDapplicants doesn't have a ton of midwestern applicants listed..
thanks.
Im not trying to be mean but I guarantee you that no one on SDN can give an accurate projection of anyone’s chances without seeing your complete application and listening to your interview. Just because Bill gets in with a 3.0 and a 25 MCAT doesn’t mean that Sally will get in with a 3.1 and 26. If you have confidence in yourself and have put 100% into your PS and application materials, it will show. That is what the ADCOMs are looking for (especially at DO schools). Just relax, you have gotten your materials in very very early - that helps your chances!
 

JonnyG

IN the hospitals....
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
1,045
3
39
Bala Cynwyd, too cool for philly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a ~ 2.75 GPA, Science 3.01 and 30 MCAT. I was interviewed on their first dayof the season and got in. The thing was I was workign as a Biochemist for three years and had strong LORs and ECs. The point is they will evaluate your application if you meet their minimum requirements which I believe is a 2.75 Science and 8 in every MCAT section (things could have changed).
 
OP
K

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
489
2
Status
Medical Student
thanks for the good news JonnyG . as far as getting my other stuff in, i also have strong LOR's, and great extracurric work. my Mcat score is similar. I'm just getting a bit nervous as my science gpa is kinda in the pooper, but in any case, i gave it my best shot so i hope things work out.
 

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
2,095
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
karizma098 said:
I know this isnt the most optimistic thread, but as the days drag on as I wait for my secondary, this has been on my mind. Whats the lowest gpa you guys know of, or have had, that ended up getting an interview at CCOM? i only ask bc i have a gpa on the lower end, with a better MCAT, and am not sure of what to expect. A lot of my friends are in the same boat, and MDapplicants doesn't have a ton of midwestern applicants listed..
thanks.
Look at mdapplicants profiles. They're not truly representative of the overall pool of applicants, but it does allow you to search for applicants to CCOM who secured an interview (GPA and MCAT scores).
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
karizma098 said:
I know this isnt the most optimistic thread, but as the days drag on as I wait for my secondary, this has been on my mind. Whats the lowest gpa you guys know of, or have had, that ended up getting an interview at CCOM? i only ask bc i have a gpa on the lower end, with a better MCAT, and am not sure of what to expect. A lot of my friends are in the same boat, and MDapplicants doesn't have a ton of midwestern applicants listed..
thanks.
Even if you got true information on the lowest actual GPA it would be meaningless. Why? Because you don't have all of the other factors to look at. In fact, there is NO quantitative way to measure applications.Some people get in with a 22 MCAT; others don't get in with a 28. Some get in with a 3.0 GPA; others don't get in with a 3.9. If what you are really looking for is some reassurance, then you'll probably get a little of that on SDN, if you are lucky. But, your question has already been asked 12,473,286 times before and nobody can tell you what your chances of acceptance are. Isn't that what you are really looking for?
 

bkpa2med

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
1,328
1
Status
Attending Physician
To the OP:

Let US know at the end of the cycle how it works out for you.
 

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
357
1
Status
Pre-Medical
what's the lowest gpa to be even considered for med school.......just wondering........my gpa is around average right now but i havent taken any prereqs yet so i could actually bring it up after all these classes so just wondering what's the gpa limit.......thanks
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
JonnyG said:
I had a ~ 2.75 GPA, Science 3.01 and 30 MCAT. I was interviewed on their first dayof the season and got in. The thing was I was workign as a Biochemist for three years and had strong LORs and ECs. The point is they will evaluate your application if you meet their minimum requirements which I believe is a 2.75 Science and 8 in every MCAT section (things could have changed).
3.4 GPA (Science 3.0) and 28 MCAT --> Rejected without interview
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
3.4 GPA (Science 3.0) and 28 MCAT --> Rejected without interview
Yes, and your post certainly goes to reassure the point that GPA and MCAT are f'in worthless when it comes to prediction. That's why I tend to think that all the "What are my chances?" threads should be banned from existence. At the minimum, they should be tossed into some limbo thread where all of them could be examined, one-at-a-time, by people who actually give a damn. As I said in a much earlier thread, there are NO GPA/MCAT combinations that have not already been discussed. Perhaps, there should be a separate thread for people who seem to need reassurance or maybe even need their own therapy group. That might open the existing areas for current, relevant material.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
scpod said:
Yes, and your post certainly goes to reassure the point that GPA and MCAT are f'in worthless when it comes to prediction. That's why I tend to think that all the "What are my chances?" threads should be banned from existence. At the minimum, they should be tossed into some limbo thread where all of them could be examined, one-at-a-time, by people who actually give a damn. As I said in a much earlier thread, there are NO GPA/MCAT combinations that have not already been discussed. Perhaps, there should be a separate thread for people who seem to need reassurance or maybe even need their own therapy group. That might open the existing areas for current, relevant material.
I'm not sure who CCOM thinks they are. I interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not sure who CCOM thinks they are. I interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.
I was stupid enough to fill out TMDSAS, even though I wasn't from Texas and my stats were not much better than yours. Got a couple of rejections from it, but tht's all. It was a big waste of money. Yet, I learned something from it. I hope that I learn from ALL of my failures.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
scpod said:
I was stupid enough to fill out TMDSAS, even though I wasn't from Texas and my stats were not much better than yours. Got a couple of rejections from it, but tht's all. It was a big waste of money. Yet, I learned something from it. I hope that I learn from ALL of my failures.
I was stupid enough to fill out TMDSAS, even though I WAS from Texas.
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
I was stupid enough to fill out TMDSAS, even though I WAS from Texas.
:D Ha Ha Ha... You always seem to make me laugh in one way or another...

Still, even though they obviously think that I'm scummmmmm-- too low to ever grace the hallowed halls of their medical learning facilities, I think that I'd like to end up practicing there someday. Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on practicing in Texas?
 

poormansDO

*** member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
312
0
www.lecom.edu
Status
i am planning to shadow an alumnus of CCOM starting next week, does anyone know if this will help a lot for my application to CCOM?
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
scpod said:
:D Ha Ha Ha... You always seem to make me laugh in one way or another...

Still, even though they obviously think that I'm scummmmmm-- too low to ever grace the hallowed halls of their medical learning facilities, I think that I'd like to end up practicing there someday. Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on practicing in Texas?
I'm pretty much set on it.