lowest GPA for dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the minimum GPA for acceptance into US dentistry schools? :)

Members don't see this ad.

MyNameIsAlex said:
whats the minimum GPA for acceptance into US dentistry schools? :)

The minimum GPA is different from school to school. Some schools, its 2.5, while others it is 3.0. That is what I have seen so far or can remember right now. However, they normally mention that although this is the minimum GPA, competitive GPAs are much higher, and that all are encouraged to apply as GPA is not the only criteria. I hope that helps.

It varies.

A better question is what is considered competitive? Which also varies from school to school but I'd say that if you don't have at least a 3.0 you better be a complete stud/studette in every other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
not only that, but they consider gpa trends.

food4thots said:
not only that, but they consider gpa trends.
I am gonna estimate a 3.2 is the lowest Ive heard with a 24 AA DAT. This est excludes Meharry and minority recruiting...

gator1210 said:
I am gonna estimate a 3.2 is the lowest Ive heard with a 24 AA DAT. This est excludes Meharry and minority recruiting...
Please tell me that you are joking. I have a 3.2 overall, a 3.13 science, and a 21 AA. I am only applying to U of Tennessee. Where do I stand...... :scared:

Seriously, tell me what you think.

gator1210 said:

This is not true. D-schools DO look at trends and your course load and the kind of classes you are taking. You can have a 1.5GPA freshman year and do well after and get all As in your pre-reqs, and provided you do decent on DAT, no need for a 24, you will be fine! You just have some explaining to do when they ask you what happened that year...

kittylover said:
This is not true. D-schools DO look at trends and your course load and the kind of classes you are taking. You can have a 1.5GPA freshman year and do well after and get all As in your pre-reqs, and provided you do decent on DAT, no need for a 24, you will be fine! You just have some explaining to do when they ask you what happened that year...

Sorry, about my post, I was misleading....Trend does matter, I just wrote that in a rush... But be aware that D school is getting more popular....so do ur best!!!!! I did and we shall see what happens

Gluck