Lowest GPA You've Heard Of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanMaverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally most Pharm classes are pretty tight knit and most people know or hear about each other's stats during the first year. What is the lowest GPA you've ever heard of being accepted to a Pharm school (any)? If known, what did this student do to compensate for that low gpa? Have at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh I like this thread! :)

I sit by a guy in a Math pre-req class that cracks me up. I was so surprised to hear that he was doing pre-pharmacy that I looked quick and said "What?" "You?" :oops:

First thing was that I have never heard that said at school besides me. But not to mention that he makes comments about how he doesn't want to do this or that the way the Math teacher wants us to.

What I hear: Nursing!!!!

klebsiella said:
2.6, PCAT in the mid 80's and no experience

Do u know accepted to what school? thanks

2.6 university of tennessee, 99 on pcat and work experience as a CPhT, but i i'm not sure what her science gpa was or what her extracurriculars were though.

class of 2007 (means started in 2003) That time a GPA of 2.5 was somewhat okay if other areas stood out, like PCAT, Extra Curricular etc. However, now it is becoming very competitive if you don't have >3.0 it doesn't look good.

WVUPharm2007 said:

My friend got into western with a 3.1

Baxter81 said:
My friend got into western with a 3.1

My cousin got into the University of Maryland COP with a 2.34 GPA and 64% PCAT, but it was four years ago.

juliarx said:
My cousin got into the University of Maryland COP with a 2.34 GPA four years ago.

the times have really changed.

I got in with a science GPA of 3.00
3.3 overall

heard someone with a 2.9 something got in a couple years ago, but they said it was a "special circumstance"

A good friend of mine is on his rotations right now and he got in to SWOSU with a 43 PCAT and a 3.0ish GPA. Yeah, times have changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
KarmRx said:
A good friend of mine is on his rotations right now and he got in to SWOSU with a 43 PCAT and a 3.0ish GPA. Yeah, times have changed.

SWOSU? As in Southwestern Oklahoma State University????? How long ago was this?

Things are looking iffy for me, but I'll post my stats and you guys can see what you think.

My school accepts 120/year, gets approx 600 applicants, and gives interviews to 200. Previous competitive stats were a GPA of 78%(3.5) and a PCAT of 89. The school states that minimum averages are 65% GPA and PCAT and students will be considered that meet these requirements. It goes on to state that "a student with a 65 may be admitted provided they excel in other areas of the application. The extracurricular areas are important enough that a student with a high gpa will be denied if they do not excel in these areas".

I currently have a 67%(2.6) GPA, 99PCAT, 1 summer shadowing, other volunteer activities include a blood drive, teaching curling and golf, and tutoring. Been involved in many competitive sports etc. I also have a cousin who is very well known in the Pharmacy community around the school who I went with and had an interview with the Dean and a few other important people around there. The Pharmacist I shadowed for is also well known around the school. I live in the northern area of my province which is where the highest shortage is so they give preference to that area, and I am also Metis which shouldn't be a factor, but I believe they are supposed to represent minorities in their classes (its Canada).

Your thoughts?

Mangosteen said:
SWOSU? As in Southwestern Oklahoma State University????? How long ago was this?
Well, he is on rotations, and he will graduate in may, so about 4 years ago now. I know, crazy right? :eek:

RyanMaverick said:
Things are looking iffy for me, but I'll post my stats and you guys can see what you think.

My school accepts 120/year, gets approx 600 applicants, and gives interviews to 200. Previous competitive stats were a GPA of 78%(3.5) and a PCAT of 89. The school states that minimum averages are 65% GPA and PCAT and students will be considered that meet these requirements. It goes on to state that "a student with a 65 may be admitted provided they excel in other areas of the application. The extracurricular areas are important enough that a student with a high gpa will be denied if they do not excel in these areas".

I currently have a 67%(2.6) GPA, 99PCAT, 1 summer shadowing, other volunteer activities include a blood drive, teaching curling and golf, and tutoring. Been involved in many competitive sports etc. I also have a cousin who is very well known in the Pharmacy community around the school who I went with and had an interview with the Dean and a few other important people around there. The Pharmacist I shadowed for is also well known around the school. I live in the northern area of my province which is where the highest shortage is so they give preference to that area, and I am also Metis which shouldn't be a factor, but I believe they are supposed to represent minorities in their classes (its Canada).

Your thoughts?

Well, if you have had an interview already with 2.6 then you probably have 50% chance like any one that interviewed to be accepted, however I'd like to say this, usually when they state that you must have such & such GPA to be considered, you really have to be above that minmum GPA because times are changing and very quick too. With 600 applicants they would select the best 200 to interview and those are usually above the minimum GPA that is stated.

Your other stats are pretty strong: volunteering & extracurricular activities are very important and 99%ile PCAT is solid so just pray and wait, your ship will definately come, if not this year, try and bump your GPA to a 3.0ish. I hope you get in though 'cos it sucks when you don't.

:luck:

I understand where Ryan is coming from.. I too am not proud of my GPA nor believe that it probably identifies how good of pharmacist I will be. But my problem is, no matter how many A's I get... I can't boost my GPA, it is at a complete standstill.

RyanMaverick said:

Your thoughts?

I think that since you did so well on the PCAT's, it shows that you are obviously competent in the areas that matter. GPA's vary by schools...you could go to a much harder school than someone who went to a really easy school and has a 4.0. I feel like the PCAT's are a more efficient way of comparing applicants, since it's a standardized test. Schools are also looking for well-rounded people with experience, and that sounds like you. I think you have a good chance.
I got C's in general chemistry because i was a total slacker my first year but I got 97% in chem on my pcats so i'm hoping that it will be some sort of redemption factor and show that i'm not a total idiot.

2.89 for UCSF

fujicake said:
2.89 for UCSF

My roommate fudged his GPA, it turned out to be a 2.5. But he got accepted. Problem is he never went and doesnt do much but loaf around with his parents money.

This was a couple of years ago.

sarahjth said:
Ohh I like this thread! :)

hahah seriously. everyone on here posts really high GPAs and PCAT scores and it stresses me out because you dont really hear about the other people who get in.

the lowest i heard was a 2.85, science gpa of 3.1 from csuf. he had tons of pharm. tech experience though

a good friend of mine got into Ohio Sate last year with PCAT of around 55, which just shocked me. (she was pleasantly surprised too) not sure what here gpa was, but she had tons of extracurricular activities.

I emailed the school asking if some things I was planning on doing would be a good idea to strengthen my interview and they said that they would, but I just don't see how I'll be able to fit them into the interview without sounding dumb.

The interview is conducted by two Pharm individuals who have not read your file and ask general questions.

The things I was planning on doing pre-interview were taking a CPR course, volunteering at a hospital pharmacy (to get a sense of the diversity), and I'm also a moderator at the new pharmacy forum I posted earlier. Any idea how these will fit into a general interview?

The forum moderator thing will probably bear no weight.

Mongoos150 said:
The forum moderator thing will probably bear no weight.

I agree. I wouldn't even bring it up...spend the time talking about your other volunteer things more.

RyanMaverick said:
Generally most Pharm classes are pretty tight knit and most people know or hear about each other's stats during the first year. What is the lowest GPA you've ever heard of being accepted to a Pharm school (any)? If known, what did this student do to compensate for that low gpa? Have at it.

Hey Ryan----did you get an invite for an interview at UBC yet?

vancouver said:
Hey Ryan----did you get an invite for an interview at UBC yet?

2.7 GPA. He was an Xavier student though. Xavier accepts thier students first as long as it's a 2.5. Xavier is a historically black school so don't go getting your hopes up.

Sorry, haven't been on here for awhile. I did get an interview, eagerly awaiting the results as of now (Monday night). Could be one of the first with a 2.6-2.8gpa to be accepted in modern pharmacy school.

RyanMaverick said:
Sorry, haven't been on here for awhile. I did get an interview, eagerly awaiting the results as of now (Monday night). Could be one of the first with a 2.6-2.8gpa to be accepted in modern pharmacy school.

Good Luck to you as well Ryan, I hope we all get good news today. Let's hope our American friends will bring us luck on the 4th of July :D