Lowest MCAT Subscore and still got into a top school!

golfdoc8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I know there is a similar thread but I am really curious about this. What is the lowest subscore someone got on a section on the MCAT and still got into a top med. school (ex. Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, NYU, Michigan etc) and what school did you get into.

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
golfdoc8 said:
I know there is a similar thread but I am really curious about this. What is the lowest subscore someone got on a section on the MCAT and still got into a top med. school (ex. Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, NYU, Michigan etc) and what school did you get into.
Be more specific on what you mean by "top school". Harvard is USNews #1 and NYU is #30.

HIghbury

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
If you look at md applicants.com, you will find someone who got accepted at Harvard with a 23 total MCAT score. People say this and that. The truth is people with such scores get accepted everytime.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
HIghbury said:
If you look at md applicants.com, you will find someone who got accepted at Harvard with a 23 total MCAT score. People say this and that. The truth is people with such scores get accepted everytime.
Yeah, and there is probably a building on campus with his last name on it. :D

Reactions: Keatbaby

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
HIghbury said:
You believe that? I've got some oceanfront property for ya in Nebraska. Real cheap!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
FloridaMadame said:
Yeah, and there is probably a building on campus with his last name on it. :D
Right -- I'm sure you are referring to Stephen Harvard. :)

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Boston
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure of the lowest score. But assuming that the average MCAT score at a top school is in the 33 vicinity. And assuming that there are a lot of people being accepted with high 30's. Then there are probably a handful of people who are accepted with score in the high 20's every year.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
RaistlinMajere said:
I'm not sure of the lowest score. But assuming that the average MCAT score at a top school is in the 33 vicinity. And assuming that there are a lot of people being accepted with high 30's. Then there are probably a handful of people who are accepted with score in the high 20's every year.
This sounds likely. I doubt there are many people in the low 20s (there always seems to be one on MDApplicants in each of the top schools every year), but I suspect that if the average score is around 33, there are a handful of people scoring 28-30 for every 35 and above candidate.

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc said:
This sounds likely. I doubt there are many people in the low 20s (there always seems to be one on MDApplicants in each of the top schools every year), but I suspect that if the average score is around 33, there are a handful of people scoring 28-30 for every 35 and above candidate.
keep in mind the low-score spots are probably reserved for URMs and those with disadvantaged status.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Acherona said:
keep in mind the low-score spots are probably reserved for URMs and those with disadvantaged status.
Perhaps, but I have to believe that schools like Harvard get sufficient applications from URMs & disadvantaged people with stellar numbers and thus don't really have to drop into the low 20s MCAT region for this.

blump

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
What do you mean by low subset score? An 8, 7?

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
Affirmitive action has gotten people with 22-25s on the mcats into "top schools"

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
US
Visit site
Status
There's a person at Yale in the MD/PhD program who got a 7 on the verbal section, but their first language wasnt english..... they also got 14s on BS and PS.

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
to answer your question. 8s, all the time. 7s, it happens rarely. 6s, I doubt it, but it may have happened. Lower, no.