Lowest Stats Getting into Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bastee_guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Im new to this site, and was wondering if people could post the lowest GPA and DAT scores (if Known) of people who got into dental school within the last few years.

Thanks,
Bastee_guy

Members don't see this ad.

bastee_guy said:
Hi. Im new to this site, and was wondering if people could post the lowest GPA and DAT scores (if Known) of people who got into dental school within the last few years.

Thanks,
Bastee_guy

i have a friend that got into NYU and USC last year that had a 2.55 science GPA and 2.7 overall. he had an 18 AA, 19 TS, and 18 PAT. plus all the other stuff all the other applicants have (volunteer, research, work experience, shadowing, etc). his uncle and mom are dentists so they may have had some pull. im not sure, but aim high. dont rely on any stats. do your best and go for it. thats the only way you will know if u will get in, and keep at it if you dont get in the first time. good luck

don't rely too much on the lucky few who have gotten in with low stats. shoot for the moon.

if you can, try to:

~shadow a dentist
~volunteer in your community
~maintain a GPA around 3.2 or above
~get 19s or above on DAT
~keep in touch with science and non-science teachers who know you for letters of rec
~get your application essay written early
~call admission directors at your choice schools to see what kind of stats they are looking for
~APPLY EARLY! HAVE YOUR APPLICATION IN AT THE END OF MAY

good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IWuvTeef said:
don't rely too much on the lucky few who have gotten in with low stats. shoot for the moon.

if you can, try to:

~shadow a dentist
~volunteer in your community
~maintain a GPA around 3.2 or above
~get 19s or above on DAT
~keep in touch with teachers who know you for letters of rec
~get your application essay written early
~call admission directors at your choice schools to see what kind of stats they are looking for
~APPLY EARLY! HAVE YOUR APPLICATION IN AT THE END OF MAY

good luck :)

this is good advice, listen to it.

thanks for all the advice. Any more stories out ther??

Well I'm currently sporting a 2.6 overall, 2.3 science. Havnt applied anywhere, but I'll let you know if mine becomes a miracle success story... :rolleyes:

IcemanDDS said:
Well I'm currently sporting a 2.6 overall, 2.3 science. Havnt applied anywhere, but I'll let you know if mine becomes a miracle success story... :rolleyes:

Most of dental schools have a minimum cut off GPA of 2.70. Let us know how it goes and if you get in with 2.3 science then I will belive in miracles :D In any case, keep it up and try improving your stats instead of relying on magic. :thumbup:

DDS2BE said:
Most of dental schools have a minimum cut off GPA of 2.70. Let us know how it goes and if you get in with 2.3 science then I will belive in miracles :D In any case, keep it up and try improving your stats instead of relying on magic. :thumbup:

Actually, over 1/2 of the dental schools in the country do not have a minimum science GPA.

And some will actually take the time to look through your application to see if you are 'worthy' !!

I know people that have gotten in with a 2.5 science and DAT of 15 but havent heard of anything lower than that.

Heh Man... Here is my history of my academia life :).

Freshman year: 1.75 GPA cum.
Sophomore year 1st semester: brought up GPA to 2.2
Sophomore year 2nd semester: brought up GPA to 2.6
Junior Year 1st semester: brought up GPA to 3.1
Junior Year 2nd semester: brought up GPA to 3.34
Senior Year 1st semester: brought up GPA to 3.38
Senior Year 2nd semester: In progress :)
Also: I took summer school at IUSB
Combined GPA is now 3.41, science is almost 3.3 i believe.

I guess there is always hope. Anyways, I always knew I wanted to be a dentist. But after freshman year I thought I had 0 chance of getting in. As A side note, some of these GPA increases were due to retaking courses. I retook 4 courses total. It has been quite a journey. I have had over 20 credit hours every semester for the past 6 semester. Even this semester I have to take 20, just so I can fulfill the credit requirements... LOL :). It has been a crazy ride. I had NO STUDY skills my freshman year and it showed!!! I studied literally 3 hours a week my freshman year. After my freshman year I was doing well over 40 hours of studying a week!!! Even this past summer when I was taking the DAT, dental school seemed so far away. Right now, I feel so fortunate to have gotten 2 acceptances and so many interview invites. I am truly blessed :). I will tell you what, this will not be happening in dental school. I am starting strong from the beginning!!!

eddiescott said:
Actually, over 1/2 of the dental schools in the country do not have a minimum science GPA.

And some will actually take the time to look through your application to see if you are 'worthy' !!

I know people that have gotten in with a 2.5 science and DAT of 15 but havent heard of anything lower than that.
You must tell me of this school where they let someone in with those stats... please?? :D

But yes I am currently taking classes and may require a masters of some sort. Who knows...

lunguv, when you retook the classes didn't they recalculate your gpa with not only the grades of the classes you didn't do well in but also the ones that you retook? what i am asking is, because of the bad grades you initially received dispite retaking them, didn't they lower your gpa?

amartins02 said:
lunguv, when you retook the classes didn't they recalculate your gpa with not only the grades of the classes you didn't do well in but also the ones that you retook? what i am asking is, because of the bad grades you initially received dispite retaking them, didn't they lower your gpa?

i re-took some of my classes too. i think what happens is that your school only counts the better grade but when aadsas calculates the gpa they take both grades and average them. thats why sometimes the schools gpa is lower than the aadsas gpa. :(

amartins02 said:

That is a great question. I honestly don't know. I think my school drops your initial grade and replaces it with the new one...which helped out all my C and C-'s ;). But...I am not positive about this. I have a feeling that they replace the old grade with the new one, but then put a "repeat" next to your new grade. I was asked at my interview about the repeated courses and why I had so much trouble my freshman year. Naturally, you should have a good explanation. I was lucky because I only had bad grades freshman year. So if you were to plot a graph of my performance it would look like the graph of y=x^2 for x>0. LOL :).