Lowest stats (GPA/MCAT) accepted into MD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MCATsMyMistress, Jun 2, 2008.

1. MCATsMyMistress

MCATsMyMistress She's playing hard to get

Hello! I think some inspiration is in order for everyone feeling hopeless. I know there are other threads that are similar but I'm adding some additional questions.

For those who have low stats (especially those that have science Undergrad GPA under or near 3.0) and where accepted into an MD granting school:

1. What was your total undergrad GPA?
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA?
    3. What was your MCAT score?
    4. What did you do to try to "makeup" for your low numerical stats?
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP.
    6. (If you did one) What was your GPA in your masters program/post-bac/smp?
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from?
    8. Were you waitlisted?(at accepted schools)(please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist)
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school?
    10. (update: due to popular demand and curiosity) Did you apply as URM or economically disadvantaged?
    11. (update: due to popular demand) How old where you when you applied?

I also know about mdapplicants.com, but some of this information is not always included in the profiles. Please no mean comments, this is meant to be inspiration for people who need it. :)

#1 MCATsMyMistress, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adam638

Adam638 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Way too many questions. Look at my MDApplicants page. I know my stats aren't that low, but my MCAT sure sucked.

1. 3.7
    2. 3.5
    3. 25
    4. Lot's of extracurriculars, shadowing, research
    5. No
    6. N/A
    7. Look at MDApps page.
    8. Yes. Waitlisted in January, accepted in April.
    9. Doesn't use AMCAS.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    There are dozens of such low stat inspirational threads already on SDN. If you do a search you will find them.

5. MCATsMyMistress

Thank you for the information :). However, as I mentioned above, I am aware of other threads however I am including more specific questions, and requesting more recent information (perhaps from the this years cycle that is wrapping up as well). I spent time before I posted to see what was available and would just like to limit this thread to useful info only and not references to other threads. Thanks! :D

6. flaahless

Medical Student
    For those who have low stats (especially those that have science Undergrad GPA under or near 3.0) and where accepted into an MD granting school:

1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.35
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 3.35
    3. What was your MCAT score? 29
    A LOT OF STUFF. For my GPA, I maintained a 4.0 for my last two years. I didn't think that would completely erase my horrible start, but at least it would show that I had matured and was focused on my education. And since I was a micro major, most of my As were in my upper div science courses, ochem, biochem, immuno etc... and I figured that would show that I had seen and mastered some of the material that I would see in med school. Also, I bombed gen chem and physics, so I made sure I nailed the MCAT PS section. Also, I'm a very sociable or outgoing person so my LORs were really solid, and I did a LOT of ECs that I truly enjoyed rather than stuff to pad my application. Applied early, wrote a strong personal statement.
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. I really considered it but I was advised against it. My advisor, who is also on the UC Irvine adcom, felt that my sustained academic excellence was similar to an SMP.
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? Most of the CA schools, Louisville, Vandy and Tulane.
    8. Were you waitlisted? (please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist) No.
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? I submitted amcas in June and was complete at most schools between early Aug and Oct.

My advice... red flags aren't that bad. They show that we are human. However, you must prove to an adcom that those flags are taken care of and will NOT be a problem. Whether your red flag is numerical (GPA or MCAT) or something else, make sure that you are aboslutely perfect by the time you apply. Stay humble, smile a lot, be friendly and believe in yourself.

David513 and Lyoness like this.
  7. bioteach

bioteach MSIV

Medical Student
    1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.07
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 2.93
    3. What was your MCAT score? 33
    master's degree, taught A&P at the college level for 5 years
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. master's in biology
    6. (If you did one) What was your GPA in your masters program/post-bac/smp? 3.87
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? U of Toledo, direct acceptance
    8. Were you waitlisted? (please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist) waitlisted at U of Colorado, VCU
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? I dunno, I did it all in the first month AMCAS was open and sent in my secondaries immediately after receiving them

#6 bioteach, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. hurtsmystomach

Pre-Medical
    1. total gpa: 3.6
    2.science: 3.0
    3. mcat: 32
    4. taught bio and vr mcat for test prep company. taught sat for free to underpriv. students. stressed that i went to a top 5 university and that class difficulty at Stanford, Harvard, Mit is different from uga, ga. tech
    5. no
    6. n/a
    7. morehouse accepted
    8. waitlisted morehouse, accepted..w/l mcg not accepted yet?
    9. complete at all schools late mid august, one in oct., but rejected. only applied to 4 schools

sorry if i misnumbered and left off some info. i am new to posting:confused:

9. MCATsMyMistress

Wow! Congrats! Good luck in school!
    PS- Your right, greyhounds do rock!

10. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Super-super impressive. Kudos to you.

11. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Some good info here, but I think it is also important to state under-represented minority status. Even economically disadvantaged status seems to help, from what I have read.

Oh yeah, and age! Sex doesn't seem to matter much anymore since in many cases females applicants exceed male applicants.

12. Bahadur

Bahadur Cookies! nom nom nom

Pre-Medical
    Great advice! :)

13. MCATsMyMistress

I don't think I have read anything on SDN about age. I'm guessing that you are saying that you think it can be an advantage to be older? I would probably agree with that. Older (usually)= more mature. How much older would you say makes a difference?
    Also, (very specifically) what exactly falls under the category of urm?

14. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Actually, I think age, beyond a certain point (28?) and below a certain point (20?) is supposed to be a disadvantage. I don't really know. Data shows that most of the acceptance are in the range of 21-23. Maybe that's because more apply at that age.

15. JaggerPlate

Medical Student
    Did you apply as disadvantaged or URM? Sorry if that sounds offensive, and its obvious you were an exceptional candidate either way, but I was just curious.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. moose21

Medical Student
    Really...How is it different? And, how do you know it is greater than or less than that of UGA's or GT's?

18. What up doc

What up doc FLASH

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, he did

19. iduwanna

Pre-Medical
    This should be question #10.

#17 iduwanna, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  20. MCATsMyMistress

Hmm, that can probably be an important variable. I added it to the original question as #10. Good point.

21. flaahless

Medical Student
    And you know this how? And I can answer my own questions playboy.

Caveat - not all schools take urm status into consideration. Ie: The UCs are banned from giving preferential treatment to urms.

22. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Wow! Is that really true? I had no idea that UCs don't care. In either case, you really deserved your UCSF acceptance. What people are too hung up about is the cGPA. What they overlook is your amazing 4.0 in the last two years. I think that with good ECs, LORs, and a good explanation there shouldn't be any reason why you GPA is weak. You proved yourself in upper division classes, which as you were told, can substitute an SMP. The only thing people might point out is the MCAT score, but thats still not low. If I recall, that's about 80th percentile, average being 25-26. There are a lot of people that don't get into those schools with 3.8 and 35. Maybe, just maybe, grades aren't everything even at top schools.

Congratulations to you for pulling this off from a state school!

23. Muggle731

Pre-Medical
    anyone who's been around this board for the past cycle knows that... I don't think he was trying to stir anything up by mentioning that.

The UCs are banned from using URM status to give preferential treatment to URMs in a formulaic, strictly "point-system" way (see, for example, the 2003 precedent in Gratz v. Bollinger, which concerned the University of Michigan's system). Thus, the biggest impact of Proposition 209 has been seen on the undergraduate level at schools like Berkeley and UCLA, where the number of applications and the size of the student body precludes more individualized analysis of applications.

However, the way that the UC medical schools approach affirmative action is much murkier, and there is a difference between saying that they don't take URM status into consideration, and saying that they do, but in a more qualitative (and legally ambiguous) way.

24. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    ...this thread should get a whole lot more entertaining quickly...

25. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    cyclic grade point average? :confused:

26. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It

cumulative?

27. gtdoc01

gtdoc01 c/o 2012!

Medical Student
    1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.06

2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 3.07
    3. What was your MCAT score? 30
    4. What did you do to try to "makeup" for your low numerical stats? Lots of extracurrics - preclinical Parkinson's research; clinical cardiology research; VP, Treasurer, and Council Representative for GT's gymnastics club; shadowing; volunteering; basically anything I could get my hands into... Also worked my butt off my last two or three semesters to show an upward trend and bring my GPA above a 3.0.
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. No.
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? Sackler School of Medicine in Tel Aviv, Israel; Waitlisted at Mercer University.
    8. Were you waitlisted?(at accepted schools)(please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist) Waitlisted at Mercer in early April, still waiting
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? For Mercer - AMCAS turned in the first day that I could turn it in, secondary complete in June. For Sackler - Application completed September.
    10. (update: due to popular demand and curiosity) Did you apply as URM or economically disadvantaged? No.

I realize that going overseas to med school is not for everyone, and I don't want any posts telling me how crazy I am to spend 4 years in the middle east (I've heard it all, believe me). However there are some excellent medical schools outside of the lower 48 that will grant you a US MD, and that you will have a fantastic experience at... and you will be a doctor in the end! Might as well enjoy the ride... It's worth looking into if you don't get in where you want to this year.

28. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Yes.

29. scarletgirl777

Medical Student
    Uh, NO, I'm pretty sure the UCs are banned from giving ANY kind of affirmative action, except in cases where it's mandated by the federal government. There have been stories about the huge drop of URMs at Berkeley because of this--the representation there right now is actually quite ridiculous. A few other states come to mind, like Washington, where this is an issue. What you are referring to I believe is a supreme court case involving U Mich affirmative action, but several states have stepped forward to independently ban affirmative action in public universities (private universities can do whatever they want).

Now I don't know if you're trying to say that individual admissions counselors are taking it into account when they're not supposed to, but I think it's pretty clear that you can't and I think one UC adcom has even said on here that they can't.

#27 scarletgirl777, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  30. bioteach

bioteach MSIV

Medical Student
    Regarding age:

I was 29 when applying and if anything, it helped me. All of my interviewers loved my "life experience" and wisdom that comes with age. They spoke of it as a positive, rather than a negative. We old ones are more rare and all the schools want a "diverse" class, so I think I had a much better shot than just another 23 year old.

31. MCATsMyMistress

Very interesting, I didn't know that. No matter what anyone says, you should be proud of yourself. You did a great job, and your going to be a doctor! :hardy:

32. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]

1. 3.12
    2. 2.89 (both are at the time of application)
    3. balanced 35
    4. kick the crap out of all essays I wrote, contact admissions departments regularly to show enthusiasm, spin my good qualities as positively as I could
    5. no
    6. -
    7. University of Arkansas
    8. Yes, WL: 2/15, A: 5/13
    9. mid-August
    10. no

33. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

I had no idea that you hadn't done a post-bacc. That's amazing!

OP, we can add age as question 11.

34. surfstarj

Medical Student
    OK. Some schools are harder than others and you know it. This is not that thread, though.

1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.49
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 3.11
    3. What was your MCAT score? 35R
    4. What did you do to try to "makeup" for your low numerical stats? took a risk with a story-like PS about me, stressed that I had to work part-time throughout college, D1 sports, professional sports, shadowing, clinical experience, non-clinical volunteer work 200+ hours/year since HS.
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. MS in biochemistry.
    6. (If you did one) What was your GPA in your masters program/post-bac/smp? 4.0
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? see below plus one other and withdrew after interview from 2 others after acceptances.
    8. Were you waitlisted?(at accepted schools)(please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist) no.
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? AMCAS verified in sept, complete in sept.

#32 surfstarj, Jun 3, 2008
  35. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I consider myself extremely lucky, and I plan to make the most of my opportunity.

36. kaliphornia

kaliphornia '12 UCLA!! =)

1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.45 (last two years GPA: 3.90)
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 3.30
    3. What was your MCAT score? 25T
    4. What did you do to try to "makeup" for your low numerical stats? plenty: started 2 humanitarian organizations and raised over $10,000; have a lot of community service and lots of clinical work, both local and international; completed two honors theses and a research project; worked part-time throughout undergrad, received community awards, research awards and funding--although no publications (just an abstract); and i didn't just do all of this to put on my application. i've been working with my community for over 5 years. and i love what i do!! i just prioritized my time very well. as for applying, i had a strong PS, outstanding LORs and a perfect, grammar-free AMCAS (i spent a lot of time on it).
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. I am a re-applicant. And did an informal program. Taking more upper-division science courses. I was a poly sci major.
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? UCLA at Geffen (will be attending), Drew/UCLA, SUNY Upstate, Loma Linda--Withdrew from OHSU, UCDavis, Meharry, UIC
    8. Were you waitlisted?(at accepted schools)(please give dates you got on and off (off=accepted) waitlist). Waitlisted at OHSU (high list)
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? Beginning of July--I also turned in my secondaries after three days of receiving them, four at the latest.
    10. (update: due to popular demand and curiosity) Did you apply as URM or economically disadvantaged? More about me: 26, Female, East-Asian, attended UC Berkeley and graduated at UCLA and applied as socioeconomically disadvantaged.

SDN is a great resource. And I usually don't post. However, over the course of reading posts, etc. I've seen that there are just so many high MCAT/GPA stats. And so I'm posting my stats to add to the very few "low" stats on SDN. Believe me or don't, but I've been called a liar on SDN for saying that I got in with a below-30 MCAT score. I know there are more students. When I was applying, I was looking for students who had GPA/MCAT similar to mine to help me choose the schools to apply to. As seen on SDN, applicants with any MCAT score that is below 30, a lot of posters recommend not applying, retaking the mcat, apply to DOs, Caribbean schools and the like. So here is my profile. Just adding on to the list of students who get in.

I am very happy with the outcome! It was a long journey. But I got through it and I look forward to a more challenging journey in med school and beyond! :)

37. OCallag

Resident [Any Field]
    1. What was your total undergrad GPA? 3.34 at time of application, 3.38 when all was said and done.
    2. What was your undergrad science GPA? 3.14, 3.20 by end of this semester.
    3. What was your MCAT score? 31.
    4. What did you do to try to "makeup" for your low numerical stats? Noted the upward trend, poor choices I made in undergrad that stretched myself too thin, took classes post graduation to demonstrate science proficiency (rocked those classes).
    5. Did you do a science masters program, post-bac taking undergrad classes, or an SMP. Took a few upper-level bio classes following graduation while working.
    7. What schools did you get acceptances from? I'll PM MDApps for those interested, but I received one acceptance without being waitlisted first.
    8. Were you waitlisted? Waitlisted at three schools. Rejected at one, withdrew from the other two. Same deal as above.
    9. When was your AMCAS complete at THAT school? AMCAS was complete June 14, received secondaries from the four schools at which I interviewed mid to late July (AKA: EARLY).
    10. Did you apply as URM or economically disadvantaged? No and no.

38. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    Age doesn't matter*.

*see my MDapps.

39. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    A friend of mine had 3 different admissions committees tell her that her age was a notable strike against her when she applied at 20. I guess it depends on where you apply, just like everything else.

40. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

It matters, but to a degree. It probably won't be enough to keep a good candidate out of med school.

41. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    How is that not flagrant age discrimination?

42. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    It was sarcastic. I've never seen cGPA

43. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    If med schools (or any institution) didn't discriminate to some degree, how would they ever accept/hire/promote/whatever anyone?

44. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    hopefully based on their resume/background/qualifications rather than things like age, race, gender, etc

45. surfstarj

Medical Student
    say flagrant again!

46. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Maybe egregious?

#44 Excelsius, Jun 3, 2008
  47. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    Well, did she only go to college for 3 years? If so, then that's a completely different question which people often mix up. Schools don't care about age as much as they don't want people rushing to finish college in 3 years so they can apply to med school. And the real problem with that rush is cramming stuff in such a small time frame has adverse affects to your application (they may have pointed that out, but it didn't seem like anything special).

Just about every med school has let in "young" people, so it's not purely ageism, but always age + something else. The one thing I always feared while applying was someone telling me "There's always next year".

48. hurtsmystomach

Pre-Medical

After graduating, I still had to / wanted to take Biochemistry and another science. Since my parents live in ga. I took the classes at GT as a non degree seeking student. The study time I put in to get an A in one class and and a low A in the other was equivalent to what was getting me b- at my school. My bcmop really sucked from undergrad and most med schools dont care if you went to a top flight university if you cant maintain the gpa ( at least that is the impression I got) so I attempted to point out that in my application the letter grade differance between the two schools.
    I have never taken a class at UGA, so I cant say but my high school friend was in their honors program then went to Columbia, and he felt there were differances in maintaining gpas.
    Sorry, if my post offended anyone. I forgot to be politically correct.

49. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This doesn't make sense considering the fact that well-conducted research studies have shown that the median GPA is much higher (on the order of 0.3) at private schools that public schools. I know someone who went to Columbia as an undergrad, then completed additional science classes at one of the top public schools and they said hands down that the public school science classes were more difficult.

50. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy

Resident [Any Field]
    Public schools tend to have a wider distribution of people getting in so I would be shocked if they had the same median GPA.

51. hurtsmystomach

Pre-Medical

This was based on my personal experiencec. i am aware of grade inflation at private vs. public schools, etc. I also noticed that the average mcat score of premeds at my school is amost 6 points higher than the ga. schools. I know that there are awesome public schools out there as well as easier private schools. imo, my school felt more competitive to get into, and maintain a sci. gpa in the a-/a range

52. hurtsmystomach

Pre-Medical
    10. not a urm
    11. 28 ( out of the three interviewers I spoke with, one did not comment, two seemed to like it, and one went so far as to say I should not consider myself untraditional b/c 28 was not that old - boy as a woman, loved to hear that, of course he was older than my grandpa)

I think some schools are known for taking non traditionals - one I hear of frequently is an Oregon State school, dont know exact name.