Lowest Verbal score and still got in 1st try

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramoray

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well i absolutly suck at verbal. took mcat a few times, waiting on my 3rd scores. i got a 6 the first time and an 8 the second. Sciences were fine. I got 3 interviews, 3 waitlists adn got accepted to GW just recently. SO people it CAN be done with low verbal scores. i was told constantly with an 8 verbal i had very little chance. I do HATE verbal1

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I got in with a VR=6! :laugh:

The Associate Dean of Admissions told me I was *really* lucky.

I hate verbal with a passion! I took the MCAT for a second time just to improve my verbal. The first time, my verbal score was less than half of either one of my science scores. I improved my verbal 2 points the second time but it remains the MAJOR, glaring weakness in my application. I don't have an acceptance right now but I'm on 3 waitlists. It frustrates me that one low score on one MCAT section is weighing me down.

Members don't see this ad :)
The verbal section is a valid evaluative tool for medical school admissions committees; I think I recall a couple research articles off the AAMC website citing stronger positive correlations between the verbal section and both preclinical and clinical grades than the same positive correlations with the sciences sections.

So...yeah. Advice to future applicants would be: don't blow off the verbal section.

I hear ya about the whole low verbal score. Last year I applied with a low verbal score but very solid science scores. This year I busted my butt and got a 10 on verbal and a lot of more doors opened up for me and I got into my top choice, compared to last year when I only received 1 interview. Keep your heads up, you can improve on verbal if you don't get in and congratulations to those who got in with low verbal scores. It shows that med school is more than 85 min. on a standardized test.:clap:

I am always hearing about the ?so called? correlation between VR performance and med school success. Does anybody know if any of these studies isolate VR by only evaluating people with low VR scores but high PS & BS scores? Personally, I doubt that somebody who could break a 12 on the science sections would have more difficulty in med school than anybody else, regardless of their low VR score.

Thanks for posting Ramoray! You give me hope. :)

I got a 7 and I'm going to Baylor.

My low verbal score on my first MCAT was what stopped me from applying to med school 3 years ago (VR=6)...I took it again, busted my a$$, and doubled my score. So either it was a fluke that I got so low, or the studying really paid off. But how much did it REALLY pay off...seeing as I am still sitting on waitlists??

aside from you being helpful ramoray, congratulations!

wow, good showing. 8 verbal and my eventual top choice here ;)

what's the lowest physical score someone got in with????

Originally posted by michmaki
what's the lowest physical score someone got in with????
i don't know but i hope it's low. the physical portion is down right the hardest for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrM
I am always hearing about the ?so called? correlation between VR performance and med school success. Does anybody know if any of these studies isolate VR by only evaluating people with low VR scores but high PS & BS scores? Personally, I doubt that somebody who could break a 12 on the science sections would have more difficulty in med school than anybody else, regardless of their low VR score.

I agree with you. I have never seen any of these studies before. And, lets face it half of the people accepted to med schools scored below average, especially on verbal. And, many of the med students I know that are AOA and at the top of their class, did horribly on the MCAT. But, I still think that one should try to do his or her best, regardless of what statistics say or from what they here.

got a 6 and got in first try

Originally posted by chewawa
IAnd, lets face it half of the people accepted to med schools scored below average, especially on verbal.

bingo!

And, lets face it half of the people accepted to med schools scored below average, especially on verbal.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the average MCAT score for accepted medical school applicants is ~30 - a fair hop, skip and jump above the entire population average of ~24. It is not the case that the majority of folks accepted to medical school score below average on the verbal.

although not all of these are first time sucess stories, I have a few that show that just 1 or 2 points in that VR score can help, or even if you don't improve on VR, you still can have a good chance. all of these are real people that I know.

1)White male, MD resident, 1st time MCAT=27 with a 7 in VR, 2nd time August MCAT, 30 with a 9 in VR. 5 interviews (incl. Emory and Einstein!), 1 acceptance to the U of Maryland school of medicine (no WL).

2)White male, MA resident, 1st time MCAT VR=7, 2nd time=9 or 10 (unfortunately my memory is poor today). 9 interviews (incl. Rochester, U Mass, and Tufts), 1 acceptance to Tufts (off the WL).

3)White male, CT resident who grew up and went to school in Iowa. did not apply to enough schools the first time he applied. 1st MCAT=29 w/ 8 VR, 2nd MCAT, 31 w/the very same 8 VR. Accepted to NYMC, Louisville, and U Minn-Twin Cities, 3 waitlists, cancelled/declined about 5 or 6 other interviews after his acceptance to UMN.

4)White female, MD resident, 1st attempt: 26 w/ VR=7. 2nd MCAT, 29 w/9 in VR. 1st application cycle: 1 interview, 0 acceptances. 2nd application cycle: 7 interviews, 2 acceptances.

5)Middle Eastern/Arab-American male, TX/LA resident, 1st MCAT attempt=24 w/6 VR. 2nd attempt=28 w/8 VR. got into Tufts the first try. 3 other interviews and the only reason he didn't get more was b/c he was too late for the TX schools to interview him.

so as you can see, the VR score is NOT the whole application. also, though I don't know all of my classmates' scores, I do know that many people had <30 MCAT and that one guy from Yale with a 34 got in off the waitlist later than I did. the process makes no sense, but it all matters not once you are in med school! good luck!

I have a family member who used to sit on a med school adcom- she told me that the really important correlation was between the verbal MCAT score and USMLE step one score. The VR score is apparently the single best (statistically) predictor of performance on the boards prior to starting med school.

Originally posted by xaelia
I hate to burst your bubble, but the average MCAT score for accepted medical school applicants is ~30 - a fair hop, skip and jump above the entire population average of ~24. It is not the case that the majority of folks accepted to medical school score below average on the verbal.

Yes, I know. But, alot of these marticulating students still score below the average. C'mon you do not actually believe that everyone who scores a 30 is going to get in med school, do ya?? I know many people at least half of all accepted students score BELOW the average mean and still get in. And, your point is??? My point is clear you are much better off if you do well on the MCAT, but it is not a gurantee that you will get accepted.

Originally posted by Enkindu
I have a family member who used to sit on a med school adcom- she told me that the really important correlation was between the verbal MCAT score and USMLE step one score. The VR score is apparently the single best (statistically) predictor of performance on the boards prior to starting med school.
Maybe true, but I still would take it with a grain of salt b/c no study has been done. It would be very interesting to see if there is any correlation. But, MCAT verbal and the boards are a totally different story. I really do not see how you can compare the two. Maybe, that they are both timed tests and that you must be able to pick up the important and relevant facts to answer the question. I do not know. Maybe, we should ask the med students who took the boards to see how these two would compare. The MCAT is an endurance test, you must be able to use your time efficiently. I have never been a good standardized test taker. But, I kicked a$$ on the MCAT, especially verbal. So, the mcat and boards are standardized tests but I do not know if a correlation exits b/w great verbal score, therefore, great docotor. I do not buy it.

Yes, I know. But, alot of these marticulating students still score below the average. C'mon you do not actually believe that everyone who scores a 30 is going to get in med school, do ya?? I know many people at least half of all accepted students score BELOW the average mean and still get in. And, your point is??? My point is clear you are much better off if you do well on the MCAT, but it is not a gurantee that you will get accepted.

Your logic escapes me, and you have evidently not grasped my point.
Observe:
1) The mean verbal score for the 55,412 examinees in the combined April/August 2001 MCAT administrations was 7.9.

2) The mean verbal score for the 33,625 applicants in the year 2002 was 8.7.

3) The mean verbal score for the 16,488 matriculating applicants in the year 2002 was 9.5.

From these statistics, it would not be a stretch to draw the following conclusions:
*) The percentage of matriculating applicants that scored below the average on the verbal section of the MCAT is not large.

*) There is a positive correlation between application success and increasing scores on the verbal section of the MCAT.

These two conclusions contradict your prior statement "And, lets face it half of the people accepted to med schools scored below average, especially on verbal."

Welcome to SDN. Where 76% of our statistics are made up.

Originally posted by xaelia
Your logic escapes me, and you have evidently not grasped my point.
Observe:
1) The mean verbal score for the 55,412 examinees in the combined April/August 2001 MCAT administrations was 7.9.

2) The mean verbal score for the 33,625 applicants in the year 2002 was 8.7.

3) The mean verbal score for the 16,488 matriculating applicants in the year 2002 was 9.5.

From these statistics, it would not be a stretch to draw the following conclusions:
*) The percentage of matriculating applicants that scored below the average on the verbal section of the MCAT is not large.

*) There is a positive correlation between application success and increasing scores on the verbal section of the MCAT.
These two conclusions contradict your prior statement "And, lets face it half of the people accepted to med schools scored below average, especially on verbal."

Look, there is no need to get all pissed about this topic. I did not quote specific numbers in saying half of all people get in. The Fact is whether you or any other adcomm like it or not people that score below the average still get IN. That is my POINT!!! And as far as your drawn conclusions, yes I agree with them. If you read closely I mentioned in the previous post that it is definately not a bad idea to do well on the MCAT, but it still does not mean you will get accepted. And, they do not contradict my statement b/c people that score below the mean still get in on the first try. I am sure you know people who did superb on the verbal and probably did not get in on the first try or were waitlisted. For, me it sounds like you are trying to press the point that if you score below average then you absolutely have no chance of getting in. I am not saying that if you bombed it then your chances are better than someone who did well absolutely not. Alot of factors go in to selecting a successful students. And, by all means it is not all MCAT. So screw all the numbers, my whole point was that if you did not score to well do not give up. Why are you trying to put other peoples hopes down. NOt very nice:( . By the way, I saw your SDN profile and see that you did very well on your MCAt and your current status is waitlisted, Okay, now I know why your are very angry with those that scored below you and got in. j/k good luck. Hey, no hard feelings here ;)

Verbal is just not a happy topic for some of us...sadly I am included in that mix. Nonetheless, as many have stated, there is no substantiated cause/effect relationship between how well one does on the verbal section versus the board exams.

Plus, remember, AMCAS changed the length of the verbal section this year. So, obviously in was not the end-all of future performance predictors...otherwise, why not have left it as is.

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Welcome to SDN. Where 76% of our statistics are made up.

yes, according to SDN and TPR statistics, I have no chance in hell of passing Step 1 next Monday due to my 9 VR, and am predestined to never marry and live alone in a fungus-infested apartment in Dorchester or Roxbury with an earless cat for eternity. That is, provided I can overcome that high chance the statistics predict of my getting run over by a tractor trailer tomorrow..:D

Originally posted by irlandesa
yes, according to SDN and TPR statistics, I have no chance in hell of passing Step 1 next Monday due to my 9 VR, and am predestined to never marry and live alone in a fungus-infested apartment in Dorchester or Roxbury with an earless cat for eternity. That is, provided I can overcome that high chance the statistics predict of my getting run over by a tractor trailer tomorrow..:D

no kidding.

as a side note, i've also heard there is a correlation between MCAT verbal score and penis size. it is an inverse relationship...the higher the MCAT verbal score, the smaller the penis size.

any truth to that xaelia?
:D

Originally posted by lattimer13
no kidding.

as a side note, i've also heard there is a correlation between MCAT verbal score and penis size. it is an inverse relationship...the higher the MCAT verbal score, the smaller the penis size.

any truth to that xaelia?
:D

:laugh:

Got into UCLA with a 7!

sup all...

thought i'd throw in my 2 cents a bit...

screw verbal........i got a 6 and i got in my first try (thank god and luck).

verbal isn't everything

congrats Ramoray...

holla back

tubs

Sorry to start a riot on this threat, my only point was it can be done as i know that was something that i was worried about was my ****ty ass verbal and never really being able to improve it. Im saying it wont necessarly stop u from getting in with a little persistence and hard work. I was defeintly no stellar super applicant in everything else too, so i thought my post was quite encouraging to the avj joe med applicant like me who ****ing sucks at reading!

Originally posted by Ramoray
Sorry to start a riot on this threat

I actually like this thread. I scored very well on the verbal, but I struggled to get that score. I was only scoring 6's and 7's on the practice exams, and when I got my scores back in August of 2002 I saw a 12V!!!!!! I could not believe it. So, for anyone out there do not give up. Just keep practicing the passages and the timing. And, even if you did not score well, do not worry, just try to make the other parts of your application look stellar. As I mentioned before, I know many people that still get in regardless of the MCAT, and it is a pretty reasonable number. I just think that some posters were not too happy that people with lower scores then themselves get in, and they get in very good schools. I know 4 people that got into Vandy and Emory and they scored well below the average for marticulating students. So do not give up and good luck to you all. :D

I've read a few posts on this thread saying they studied their butts off and raised their verbal score. But i thought that you can't really study for the verbal and doing well results from years of reading novels and newspapers etc.

I sure hope you can do well on the verbal by studying cuz I think that's my weakest point. I'm about to start taking Kaplan tomorrow and the MCAT on August.

Any tips on how to study for the verbal?? THanks!!

I hated verbal with a passion and thought my score was a gift from God when I first saw it.

Originally posted by aye
I've read a few posts on this thread saying they studied their butts off and raised their verbal score. But i thought that you can't really study for the verbal and doing well results from years of reading novels and newspapers etc.

I sure hope you can do well on the verbal by studying cuz I think that's my weakest point. I'm about to start taking Kaplan tomorrow and the MCAT on August.

Any tips on how to study for the verbal?? THanks!!

You are right. What I meant by studying was working on the timing. That is what was killing me. As soon as I got the timing down, I started to see improvement. However, the more passages you do under timed conditions, reall does help.