Loyola (Chicago) or UI-Chicago????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htrap90

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
simply based on getting into medical school bases...

which school will prepare me better for the mcats? and from which school will i be able to get into med. school easier?

and anything else you can tell me to help me decide where to go..?

Members don't see this ad.

go to the cheaper one

go to the cheaper one
I agree with this, mostly any accredited school will prepare you for medical school and those two schools most certainly will. Study and work hard and you have a great chance at succeeding. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
go to the cheaper one
Amen. For relatively comparable programs, I'd go with cheaper, unless one really absolutely wow's you. Don't sweat which will help you with medical school. Both would be fine...

I'm premed at Loyola. I know that certain teachers prepare you really well for the MCATs, and that Loyola has a 75% acceptance rate for med-school applicants. However, I don't know anything about UIC. But...yeah, 75% is pretty darn good, and I love it here. That's about all the help I can give.

I'm premed at Loyola. I know that certain teachers prepare you really well for the MCATs, and that Loyola has a 75% acceptance rate for med-school applicants. However, I don't know anything about UIC. But...yeah, 75% is pretty darn good, and I love it here. That's about all the help I can give.

its good only if that includes all applicants and there are no sreening of applicants...most schools screen applicants in some way or highly discourage applicants by taking long times to complete LORs etc

Not sure if I misunderstood your statement, but I doubt that loyola has a 75% acceptance rate for med-school applicants. They dont accept 3 out of every 4 who try. Most schools have 5000-6000 applicants for a class of 200 (so they accept probably around 400-500 students). If you mean that 75% of loyola pre-meds get into some medical school, than that might be more likely but still I find that hard to believe.

If money doesn't matter, I'd do Loyola. If money does matter, do UI Champaign over UIC.

Not sure if I misunderstood your statement, but I doubt that loyola has a 75% acceptance rate for med-school applicants. They dont accept 3 out of every 4 who try. Most schools have 5000-6000 applicants for a class of 200 (so they accept probably around 400-500 students). If you mean that 75% of loyola pre-meds get into some medical school, than that might be more likely but still I find that hard to believe.

this thread is about undergrad schools. the OP is a high school student trying to pick between the two undergrad programs at these schools. the 75% is the number of loyola undergrads who are accepted into any medical school...not the percentage accepted by the Loyola med school.

to answer the OPs question, I would say that I had a very good experience with Loyola's undergrad pre-med program. You will certainly get more personal attention in a small school like Loyola as opposed to any of the University of Illinois campuses. If that's not a big thing for you, though, then I definitely agree with everyone else that both schools will be fine (where you went to undergrad really has no bearing on getting into med school - it's all about your performance wherever you go).

Come to UIC! Not that I'm biased...:cool:

But, as far as research dollars go, you'll be able to do a lot more here than you would at Loyola, I think. Obviously, research isn't the only important thing, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

Come to UIC! Not that I'm biased...:cool:

But, as far as research dollars go, you'll be able to do a lot more here than you would at Loyola, I think. Obviously, research isn't the only important thing, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

true...if both schools can get you to where you want to be, save up the money for medical school and just go to the cheaper school, which I believe is UIC.