• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Loyola Chicago Post-bac (et. al. in Midwest) How do they compare with others?

eric0880

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to get acclimated. I'm located in central Illinois and over the last several months medicine has presented itself as the direction I should head, that is, this "decision" wasn't made through over-analysis, which I'm prone to, or even that conscious of a decision. It just seems to really make sense.

More about me: I always considered science my first love. However, I graduated with a BA in philosophy with a GPA just under 4.0 (3.98 or so). I started out a physics major and (took physics 1-mechanic and lots of math (through diff. equations). I decided I wanted to graduate work in theology. I then got a Master of Divinity degree (theology) from a seminary. I decided I didn't want to pursue a clerical career. Recently medicine has presented itself as something which fits with my skills (analytical mind, love of science, thrive on contact with people, communication skills, etc.). I've done some volunteering at a hospital (part of theology degree) as well as other non-clinical settings. I took the GRE once (V: 560, Q: 620, AW: 5.5).

I'm interested in a post-bac program; I'd like to stay reasonably close to family (Illinois and Florida). I'd also like a program with strong support for the MCAT and applying to med. school. I'm considering Loyola but am open to other locales. I've heard good and bad points about the IL schools like Loyola and Northwestern.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about post-bac programs (i.e. any specific insights about the Illinois schools). Of course I have the standard concerns about a post-bac program as anyone intending to attend med. school. Any thoughts on my "history" and how it'll play out for med. school application would be welcome too.

Thanks so much.

chopper

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 18, 2004
      I did the Loyola post bacc program. I can't speak for the actual number comparing admissions rates between Loyola's program and others, but it was a good fit for me. I had a mediocre (3.0-ish) GPA from undergrad from a good school that I had to work on. I did/redid all the prereqs at Loyola with a 4.0 and did pretty well on the MCAT. I ended up being pretty successful in the application process.

So, I highly recommend Loyola's post bacc program. It was a great fit for me, I was able to meet some really good professors who ended up giving me very good letters of rec.

But let me see if I get your record straight:
      - 3.9+ GPA in a non-science field
      - some science, including hard math(this is HUGE - math is the achilles heel of many ex-BA career changes. The rest of pre med is easy if you have this)
      - Lots of volunteering

I'm sure you would do GREAT at Loyola, but you would spend a very large nickel there. Unlike 90+% of post baccs, you aren't in the boat of needing to make up for past baggage and 'proving' yourself. Remember, the dirty little secret of post-bacc programs is that they are huge money makers taking advantage of people who are desparate to get into med school. They work for many (me included), but you might not 'need' one to get in. You just need to get the pre-reqs, take the MCAT, and apply. Assuming you do well on them, I think that you will have little problem in the app process. So your other option is a 'do-it-yourself' post bacc at a much cheaper school and in a location that suits you being close to family.

That said, there are nice things to a well run post-bacc program. Like I mentioned earlier, access to professors for letter writing. Also, a good pre-med office will make sure you have a 'comittee' letter and walk you through the application process (Loyola was GREAT at that). So, even in your case, it might serve you well. I can't speak to specific MCAT help - doing well on the pre-reqs and a review course were the ticket for me.

In any case, good luck. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

nzik

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Feb 27, 2007
        Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to get acclimated. I'm located in central Illinois and over the last several months medicine has presented itself as the direction I should head, that is, this "decision" wasn't made through over-analysis, which I'm prone to, or even that conscious of a decision. It just seems to really make sense.

More about me: I always considered science my first love. However, I graduated with a BA in philosophy with a GPA just under 4.0 (3.98 or so). I started out a physics major and (took physics 1-mechanic and lots of math (through diff. equations). I decided I wanted to graduate work in theology. I then got a Master of Divinity degree (theology) from a seminary. I decided I didn't want to pursue a clerical career. Recently medicine has presented itself as something which fits with my skills (analytical mind, love of science, thrive on contact with people, communication skills, etc.). I've done some volunteering at a hospital (part of theology degree) as well as other non-clinical settings. I took the GRE once (V: 560, Q: 620, AW: 5.5).

I'm interested in a post-bac program; I'd like to stay reasonably close to family (Illinois and Florida). I'd also like a program with strong support for the MCAT and applying to med. school. I'm considering Loyola but am open to other locales. I've heard good and bad points about the IL schools like Loyola and Northwestern.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about post-bac programs (i.e. any specific insights about the Illinois schools). Of course I have the standard concerns about a post-bac program as anyone intending to attend med. school. Any thoughts on my "history" and how it'll play out for med. school application would be welcome too.

Thanks so much.

Hey, which divinity program did you do? I was seriously considering doing an MDiv, but I wanted to consider it after med school ... i know some people out there who've done it; there are several ministers and priests who are physicians ... but then again medicine is a full time career and I don't know if that would be ideal ...

would any of have any advice on this?

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.