Loyola MAMS vs. Boston University MAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Question_able

Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I recently got accepted to both of these programs, and I am having a bit of difficulty deciding which one to attend. My background is a GPA of 3.1, MCAT 507, large amount of clinical hours as a medical scribe, about 6 months of research, moderate amount of volunteering. I sort of narrowed the schools into a pro/con list as below, but feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

Loyola: MA in Medical Sciences: Biology, Department of: Loyola University Chicago
Pros:
-Alumni have a 96% acceptance rate into medical school (measured in 3-year groups)
-Volunteering is integrated into the program (graduation requirement)
-Emphasis on advising/interview prep
-About 10k cheaper than BU
-Interview at their SOM with a 3.6 GPA in the program
Cons:
-MA, not MS (does this matter?)
-Classes are not (advertised as being) similar to med school classes, so maybe they aren't rigorous enough?
-Taught by undergrad profs instead of grad/med school profs (does this matter?)

BU: MS in Medical Sciences Program | Graduate Medical Sciences
Pros:
-Well-known/more established program
-Some classes are similar to medical school classes (doing well in these would be a big plus, I think)
-Will do research and complete a thesis (I don't have a lot of research on my app)
-Advising is readily available if you reach out
-Thesis/research is after reapplying to med schools, so I would have something to do between applying and matriculating
Cons:
-Harder to get good grades potentially
-Lower success rate (About 85% of students who get a 3.6 in the program go on to medical school)
-10k more expensive (and cost of living is higher)
-No direct connection to their SOM (although alumni are evaluated separately)

Thank you in advance! I am having a lot of difficulty deciding, and I appreciate any tips you all have. Stay safe out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN!

I recently got accepted to both of these programs, and I am having a bit of difficulty deciding which one to attend. My background is a GPA of 3.1, MCAT 507, large amount of clinical hours as a medical scribe, about 6 months of research, moderate amount of volunteering. I sort of narrowed the schools into a pro/con list as below, but feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

Loyola: MA in Medical Sciences: Biology, Department of: Loyola University Chicago
Pros:
-Alumni have a 96% acceptance rate into medical school (measured in 3-year groups)
-Volunteering is integrated into the program (graduation requirement)
-Emphasis on advising/interview prep
-About 10k cheaper than BU
-Interview at their SOM with a 3.6 GPA in the program
Cons:
-MA, not MS (does this matter?)
-Classes are not (advertised as being) similar to med school classes, so maybe they aren't rigorous enough?
-Taught by undergrad profs instead of grad/med school profs (does this matter?)

BU: MS in Medical Sciences Program | Graduate Medical Sciences
Pros:
-Well-known/more established program
-Some classes are similar to medical school classes (doing well in these would be a big plus, I think)
-Will do research and complete a thesis (I don't have a lot of research on my app)
-Advising is readily available if you reach out
-Thesis/research is after reapplying to med schools, so I would have something to do between applying and matriculating
Cons:
-Harder to get good grades potentially
-Lower success rate (About 85% of students who get a 3.6 in the program go on to medical school)
-10k more expensive (and cost of living is higher)
-No direct connection to their SOM (although alumni are evaluated separately)

Thank you in advance! I am having a lot of difficulty deciding, and I appreciate any tips you all have. Stay safe out there!
Did you get into Loyola? If you did, do you mind sharing your opinion about the program?

I was also accepted to both, though I decided with different program.

I'll make this short by saying BU MAMS is better choice of the two and congrats on acceptance. Since you are spending money and time for this, might as well do it once and finish strong at an established program.
However, you won't go wrong with program at Loyola if you want to save cost.
You'll have to do well in both programs whether one is more difficult than another.

I was also accepted to both, though I decided with different program.

I'll make this short by saying BU MAMS is better choice of the two and congrats on acceptance. Since you are spending money and time for this, might as well do it once and finish strong at an established program.
However, you won't go wrong with program at Loyola if you want to save cost.
You'll have to do well in both programs whether one is more difficult than another.
Thank you so much!