• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Loyola MAMS vs. Boston University MAMS

Question_able

Mar 12, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello SDN!

I recently got accepted to both of these programs, and I am having a bit of difficulty deciding which one to attend. My background is a GPA of 3.1, MCAT 507, large amount of clinical hours as a medical scribe, about 6 months of research, moderate amount of volunteering. I sort of narrowed the schools into a pro/con list as below, but feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

Loyola: MA in Medical Sciences: Biology, Department of: Loyola University Chicago
Pros:
-Alumni have a 96% acceptance rate into medical school (measured in 3-year groups)
-Volunteering is integrated into the program (graduation requirement)
-Emphasis on advising/interview prep
-About 10k cheaper than BU
-Interview at their SOM with a 3.6 GPA in the program
Cons:
-MA, not MS (does this matter?)
-Classes are not (advertised as being) similar to med school classes, so maybe they aren't rigorous enough?
-Taught by undergrad profs instead of grad/med school profs (does this matter?)

BU: MS in Medical Sciences Program | Graduate Medical Sciences
Pros:
-Well-known/more established program
-Some classes are similar to medical school classes (doing well in these would be a big plus, I think)
-Will do research and complete a thesis (I don't have a lot of research on my app)
-Advising is readily available if you reach out
-Thesis/research is after reapplying to med schools, so I would have something to do between applying and matriculating
Cons:
-Harder to get good grades potentially
-Lower success rate (About 85% of students who get a 3.6 in the program go on to medical school)
-10k more expensive (and cost of living is higher)
-No direct connection to their SOM (although alumni are evaluated separately)

Thank you in advance! I am having a lot of difficulty deciding, and I appreciate any tips you all have. Stay safe out there!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.