1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Loyola of Chicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doctor0125, Aug 4, 2006.

1. doctor0125

doctor0125 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am applying to Loyola in Chicago and it says that for each response the maximum is 25 lines, I have written about 12 lines for each of them, do you think that’s bad?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BuckerPark

BuckerPark Float on...
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: No, I don't.

4. ChymeChancellor

ChymeChancellor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    I too answered the questions a lot shorter than the maximum. I felt that to write the maximum would be adding unnecessary wordiness and clutter up what I was trying to say. If you answered with a good response you will be fine.

5. WannaDoc

WannaDoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone gotten a rejection from Loyola??

They screen for secondaries correct?

6. Punkn

Punkn at the Christie Rd tracks
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've heard that the cut-off MCAT score for receiving a secondary is 25. I don't know if they use any other criteria.

7. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't read that all the way to the end.

But Loyola is a great school.

8. brats800

brats800 cheesehead
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ahh the new crop of loyola applicants. feel free to ask lots of questions. read the old threads since lots of your questions have probably been asked and answered before. but ask your questions if you have them. and to answer your question, answer the questions as thoroughly as possible and if you don't use all the space, i wouldn't stress too much. but remember it is your best chance until the interview to explain who you are, so its in your best interest to use the space if you have things to say.

9. DontPanic

DontPanic Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can someone fill me in on how the 25 lines per essay limit works? I pasted in an essay that was clearly over 25 lines (from Word) and then clicked "Save and Continue" with no problem. At what point will the line limit give me an problem?

10. TakingBakSunday

TakingBakSunday Awesome in concert
    10+ Year Member

I think it said "recommended 25 lines" so just don't make it too much longer or they might get annoyed with you.

11. Does Loyola's religious affiliation impact life/research/etc at the school? If yes, how so and to what extent?

12. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is just speculation, but I would think that a Bioethics course would be different, with regards to abortion and things.

13. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hell yes it does. Within the hospital, they will refuse to do certain procedures because of religious conflicts. I remember when the Cardinal was undergoing surgery, the surgeon wore his priest collar instead of scrubs - I kid you not.

In terms of academic life, they aren't nearly as strict as Loma Linda but they expect you to follow Jesuit principles. Research is quite good there but you won't find research in certain fields.

Hope this helps.

14. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    as a current student, i would say yes, but minimally so. as an above post mentioned, there are aspects of the hospital's care that are affected by its religious affiliation - namely abortions are not performed at loyola.

as far as academic/student life, the religious aspect is as prevalent as you make it. no one will force you to go to mass or pray or anything like that. no one will expect you to be catholic or even christian.

it does, very heavily, color the way we are taught though - in that the notion of health care being a service is most important. treating patients is far more emphasized than research. there aren't many md/phd students because we chose loyola (for the most part) to be practicing physicians with an emphasis on compassion and service.

loyola is definitely nothing like loma linda as far as religious affiliation is concerned, but the catholic ideals are present in our education and the practice of medicine in the hospital.

15. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

so how long did it take you to get your secondary? Ive been verified since 8/2 and havent heard from them yet.. not a blip

16. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Loyola asked me to bring a printed copy of my amcas to my interview. Do you think that they're going to keep it in their file instead of printing it out? I think the only difference between what I print out and what they get is the list of schools I applied to...

I don't think that this is a big deal, as they'll probably ask me what other schools i'm applying to in the interview...do they take this into account at all when making a decision?

17. jbrice1639

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    i can't remember for sure, but i don't remember if they even took the copy i brought in from me. i think i just had to have it. either way, you can always leave off the schools part if you want, they don't care about that part. i didn't have the list of schools on mine. there's definitely no hidden agenda here at loyola though...nothing in the interview is a trick or a trap. there was some paperwork to fill out before the interview, and i think having my amcas was just so i could use it to fill out the paperwork. no big deal.

good luck with your interview. we're a very friendly school, so enjoy your day here and talk to as many people as you can.

18. BuckeyeSurgn

BuckeyeSurgn New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there any way to check your status and/or whether your application is complete at loyola, other than calling the admissions office? (i.e. website confirmation)

If calling is the only option, would it be recommended to call only to ensure that all materials have been received? Should I have received an e-mail if I am complete there?

19. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks!! I am so excited to be coming (I've visited before and loved it) that I'm a little nervous about my interview, but I'm certainly looking forward to it...it seems like there are a lot of great things going on at Loyola.

I am living in Chicago right now and I was thinking of driving out via 290, instead of going to cta route...do you know how long it takes to get from downtown to loyola on 290?

Thanks!

20. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they sent me a snail-mail letter when i was complete there. and i don't think that there is a website where you can check, you'll have to use the status check thursdays :)

21. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    20 minutes, if you don't go during bad traffic. For an interview give yourself an hour and 1/2 to two hours. The medical campus is very large, and Stritch is kind of in the back. You'll also have to figure out parking etc.

This will give you some chill time, etc.

Good Luck!

22. jbrice1639

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    i live in wrigleyville, so i make that commute every day. i take lake shore drive to lower wacker to 290. it takes me about 30 minutes usually, but i tend to leave early (about 6:45am and i get here at 7:15). if you want, PM me and let me know what time you're leaving. i have a few shortcuts i take that should shave off some time from your trip. definitely allow yourself some extrat time though...no need to add stress to an interview worrying about being late.

on a side note...290 is much faster than the cta route because taking the train, you then have to wait for a pace bus...takes forever...definitely not recommended :) oh, and parking is $3, just so you're aware.

23. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a current medical student at Loyola (and non-Christian) I have to correct the above poster's errors. The only procedure you won't see us doing in the hospital is abortions - but you can do those during rotations at other facilities. Frankly this does not affect the majority of medical students.

There were some factual errors about surgeons wearing vestments in surgery. Let me explain where the misunderstanding may have come from. The Cardinal's primary care physician, Dr. Sheehan is an internal medicine physician specializing in geriatrics (he is NOT a surgeon and did not do his surgery). Dr. Sheehan is also the senior associate Dean of the medical school, and a jesuit priest. In addition to wearing those hats, he gives amazingly inspiring lectures about professionalism, ethics, the role of religion or spirituality in health care to the first year medical students, and is an all round fun guy to just have a beer with (yeah, he pretty much blows all stereotypes of priests out of the water.) He intentionally wears his vestments under his white coat when dealing with the press as a means of showing that priests actually do good works, and are not all child molesters. Most of the time around school, he is just in a shirt and tie under his white coat though.

I was very concerned actually about going to a Catholic (to be more accurate Jesuit) school as I have always had a knee jerk negative reaction towards organized religion (remember, I am not even Christian). However, the school has managed to extract all of the good things about Christianity without all of the bad things. The school places a HUGE emphasis on treating the WHOLE patient, mind, body AND spirit. There is also a large emphasis on commitment to service.

I would suggest to the OP and anybody else considering the school to talk to some of us that actually go here. I think you will find that we are among the happiest students you will find, and for the most part are big cheerleaders for how great we all think it is here. The schools commitment to the students is incredible - whatever you need to be successful here, they will provide.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

24. jbrice1639

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I just want to second everything that was said here. I had wanted to respond to that post as well, but I would not have come up with anything as coherent as what flop had to say. He's dead-on with everything though. Well said!

25. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am just about done with my secondary application and will mail it out either today or tomorrow. I have to say, based on what I've read about Loyola on this thread and others, I am very glad I chose to apply. Here's hoping I can get an interview!

26. nanomed

nanomed That's Doctor Doctor 2 Be
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,
    How long did it take you guys to recieve secondaries from Loyola??? I was AMCAS verified in late August, but I have yet to recieve the secondary. Should I call them up???
    ~Thanks:oops:

27. StritchMD2011

StritchMD2011 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It took about 3.5 weeks before i got mine from them. Just be patient. They send it by snail mail.

28. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    same here. it took 4 weeks to get it. I guess the screening process is what takes so long. Once you get the secondary, you have about a month to fill it out before it's due. Personally, I would look around on SDN to find the essay questions so you can get started (there's 4 if I remember right).

29. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they aren't the quickest people on earth. I sent my secondary out a few weeks ago, and today I get a thin envelope from them in my mailbox that looked like it didnt have anything in there but a single sheet of paper (like a rejection letter...) turns out they just mailed me to say that my file has been recieved.

bastards. ever heard of email!?