SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Loyola Problems and Questions...Help!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by racergirl, Aug 29, 2001.

1. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Okay, so I FINALLY got Loyola's secondary in the mail today, and I have some problems and questions:

Problems:

1) The secondary is on paper! Am I supposed to TYPE? I think not! I bet with some practice I could thread it through my printer though, so no big whoop.

2) Not only did the aforementioned PAPER app arrive at my house all crumpled up (thanks a lot US mail...fly like an eagle my ass!), it also HAS A BIG GLOB OF GOO ON IT! I'm serious! There's a big brown shmear across the front page. It looks like it could be chocolate, or maybe even poo! Are they serious?? Sure Loyola is not my first choice, but I had no intention of crumpling up their secondary and whiping my butt with it before I sent it back! That's sure gonna be what it looks like I did, though.

Questions:

1) On the top of the letter-head, it says "Chicago's Jesuit University" Uh... so this is a religeous school? I know I should have known that, but I didn't. How religious is it? Is the Med School itself pretty secular?

2) They ask for a non-science prof letter. Anyone know how strict they are on this? I don't have one! I could MAYBE get one, but I don't know, they give a pretty short time window.

Thanks for any help. By the way, does anyone know how to get mysterious poo-like stains off of paper..?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. applicant2002

applicant2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

if it is going to take you time, you might want to write a letter requesting more than a two week extension. on the recommendation letter instructions that they send, they should mention something like "although it is ideal that the rec. letters come in by the due date stamped on your app. we realize that this is not always possible. If you need more than a two wk. extension, please write us a letter."

4. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Los Angeles
    racergirl, don't worry about the letter. just request it, as long as they see you have your secondary completed and that the delay is not on your part, then that is ok.

loyola (named after St. Ignatius of Loyola - founder of the Jesuit order) is a jesuit founded and run university. i'm not sure if you are familiar with the Jesuit order of the Catholic church but it is not all religious types or anything like that. i went to a jesuit high school and most students were not catholic. so i wouldn't worry about it b/c the jesuit mission is based on education, unlike some other religions. some schools you might be familiar with are Georgetown, Creighton, Fordham, Santa Clara - all Jesuit schools.

do not type in your essays. do it on the computer, then cut and paste on the paper copy, then photocopy the entire application. they actually say somewhere that they prefer it that way. Do not worry about the goo on your application; it might be covered up by the pasted in essays. if you are freaked about it, just call them and let them know and they will probably send you another copy.