Loyola-related.....I'm sorry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really sorry because I'm sure this is a repeat, but I can't find it anywhere. On the Loyola Secondary Appl, the ask this question:

"What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?"

What do they mean by that? I mean, I've read a couple National Geographics about Africa, and want to go there some day (maybe as a healthcare charity trip), but I've never spent hours researching and writing a report on it. Honestly, most of my time that's not dedicated to school work is spent doing other things. Does that make me a less qualified applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

jstuds_66 said:
Hey guys, I'm really sorry because I'm sure this is a repeat, but I can't find it anywhere. On the Loyola Secondary Appl, the ask this question:

"What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?"

What do they mean by that? I mean, I've read a couple National Geographics about Africa, and want to go there some day (maybe as a healthcare charity trip), but I've never spent hours researching and writing a report on it. Honestly, most of my time that's not dedicated to school work is spent doing other things. Does that make me a less qualified applicant?

Have you ever learned anything on your own, outside of school, even just as a hobby?

Basic car maintenance. . . Basics of running a powerplant (my dad works with them). But, does that count as self-education? My dad helped me understand lots of it.

I guess I've read a couple of things in spanish and I converse with spanish-speakers as often as I can. But, I'm skeptical to say anything about spanish because I would only consider myself a very very basic spanish-speaker (makes it easier because I know Portuguese).

I guess I'm wondering what kinds of things other people are putting.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP? said:
not applying there, but at a lot of colleges one has the option of completing an academic thesis (ie really really long paper) in their major based off of independently completed research. i think most people will write about that - i would.
Since I didn't ever do an academic thesis, would it be reall bad if I just left this question blank?

going off of ideas from the thread linked above, i wrote mine about an additional philosophy class and additional english class i took that were beyond the requirements of my school.

I answered that with my research that I did at the U of U one summer. Research is a part of many applicants that I know, so, sorry if you didn't do any.