Loyola University Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinlabrat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the program in Cancer Biology at Loyola University Medical Center? I am primarily interested in tumor cell metastasis and there is a PI (Richard Schultz) who is conducting this research at the school. Just wanted to know if anyone has had some experience at the school? Plus, it doesn't hurt that the program is in my most favorite city, CHICAGO. :)

Members don't see this ad.

austinlabrat said:
Any thoughts on the program in Cancer Biology at Loyola University Medical Center? I am primarily interested in tumor cell metastasis and there is a PI (Richard Schultz) who is conducting this research at the school. Just wanted to know if anyone has had some experience at the school? Plus, it doesn't hurt that the program is in my most favorite city, CHICAGO. :)

I don't know much about Dr. Shultz's research, but I can tell you that he is a dedicated and very endearing lecturer and that he seems to be very passionate about his work.

LaurieB said:
I don't know much about Dr. Shultz's research, but I can tell you that he is a dedicated and very endearing lecturer and that he seems to be very passionate about his work.

Gaining admission into the neurobiology doctorate program is a very realistic option/goal at this time for me. I have been on the phone with the housing dept. at the medical center, and I am a bit confused. Do you live on campus or off campus? Is it relatively simple finding a place to stay at the medical center?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no on-campus housing for the medical center so most people find apartments nearby. Check out this link for more information about where people live:

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/meded/students/FAQ-M1.htm

It's pretty easy to find a place in the area and rent is fairly reasonable.

Hope this helps!
Laurie

austinlabrat said:

yes.
Martin Kast has found cancer is contagious.his research is summarised below.

1. Cancers Linked to Infectious Agents 2. Cancer Virus Evidence 3. Liver Cancer: HBsAg Virus 4. Suggested Experiments 5. Breast Cancer Virus 6. Cervical Cancer: Caused by Human Papilloma Virus 7. Kaposi's Sarcoma: Caused by Herpes Virus 8. SV40 Virus Causes Rare Cancers in Humans 9. More Microbe-Cancer Links 10

1 Cancer Linked to Infectious Agents According to the Center for Disease Control, "Infectious agents are known or suspected to play a role in a number of ... forms of cancer." 54 Infectious organisms include bacteria, chlamydia, fungi, parasites, prions, rickettsias, viruses and others. [ 74 ] Cancer Virus Evidence Is there any evidence that viruses in particular cause cancer? Yes, several. Liver, Breast, Cervical and others. According to Scientific American, "Over the past 20 years... investigators have not only proved that many different types of cancer indeed stem from viruses, bacteria or parasites, they have also learned that perhaps as many as 15 percent of the world's cancer deaths can be traced to them." 92 Liver Cancer: HBsAg Virus Suspected to Play a Role "High rates of liver cancer have been described in the Alaska Native population [Heyward et al 1981] and the role of infection with hepatitis B virus in the development of primary liver cancer has also been observed [Alward et al 1985].

One study in this population estimated the relative risk of developing primary liver cancer of HBsAg-positive carriers to be 148 times that of non-carriers [McMahon et al 1990]." 54 Breast Cancer: Strong Link to Human Mammary Tumor Virus .August 13, 1999 -- A researcher has found a strong link between a virus and breast cancer, a major breakthrough in the search for a cause to the disease. Scientists are calling the virus the human mammary tumor virus.............. In mice and other animals, it's long been known that a virus can cause breast cancer, ........... But it was only recently that researchers identified a similar virus in human breasts. The scientists found the virus present in 85 percent of all human breast cancers.

It's only found in 20 percent of healthy breasts. "I think this is very intriguing because it is another virus linked to human cancer," said Dr. Martin Kast, of Loyola University. "Something is going on." The theory is the virus attaches to cells and transforms their DNA. Those cells then start dividing uncontrollably, .......So if breast cancer is caused by a virus, it might one day be preventable with ..........Researchers at Kast's Loyola laboratory are working on a vaccine for cervical cancer, a tumor proven to be caused by a virus. If the same proof is found for breast cancer, a simple shot might one day prevent that disease. Doctors believe the cancer is passed down genetically from parents to children.

There are other contributing factors for breast cancer, but the virus could be the most important. 63 Something is going on.

We have viruses implicated in liver cancer [ 64 ] and now we have a "strong link" to breast cancer. [ 63 65 ] Cervical Cancer: Caused by Human Papilloma Virus"The WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified HPV infection as "carcinogenic" to humans (HPV types 16 and 18), "probably" carcinogenic (HPV types 31 and 33) and "possibly" carcinogenic (other HPV types except 6 and 11)" 80 81 More than 95% of all Cervical Cancer cases can be attributed to three types of human papilloma virus (HPV) the virus that causes genital warts.

Here's how it works: In humans and animals, cell division is regulated largely by two proteins, Rb and p53 [ 82 ]. Two genes in HPV, the "E6" and "E7" genes, produce proteins that can attach to Rb and p53. When the viral gene proteins attach to Rb and p53, they block their effect on regulating cell division. Infected cells then reproduce without any control. (Massimi and Banks 1997). 75 76

Kaposi's Sarcoma: Caused by Herpes Virus Type 8 "Patients with AIDS often develop a type of cancer called Kaposi's Sarcoma. Recent research has discovered that a virus, called Human Herpes Virus type 8 (HHV8) causes these cancers...results in a number of rare cancers including non-Hodgkin's lymphoma; mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer found in the sac lining the chest or abdomen; osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer most often occuring in children; and ependymoma, a rare form of brain tumorOne article I found says the Lancet published clear evidence deadly cancer that kills over 20,000 people every year in the US." According to one Since that is after the time of discovery of the BX and BY cancer-causing viruses we can assume that other frequencies may be needed to kill these newer viruses.

"More Microbe - Cancer Links According to one researcher, an article in Business Week July 14th 1997 listed cancer links to various viruses, and bacteria, and parasites.virus cancer type Retrovirus (HTLV-2) Hairy-cell leukemia Papillomaviruses (HPV-5,HPV-8,HPV-17) Skin cancer Epstein- Barr virus (EBV) Burketts Lymphomab naso pharyngeal cancer Hepatitis B Virus Liver Cancer bacteria cancer type Helicobacter Pylori Stomach Cancer B. Burgdorferi In other words, is it simply our inability to detect fragile viruses with current techniques that causes this assertion?Can we be certain, however, that even with lung cancer there is not a dormant virus causing tumors when lung tissues are weakened to a certain point? This would explain why not all smokers get cancer.