Loyola University of Chicago Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone thinking of finding a like-minded group of students to find a house with? I don't really want to wait until mid may when we have access to the housing board if I don't have to. Anyone? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone thinking of finding a like-minded group of students to find a house with? I don't really want to wait until mid may when we have access to the housing board if I don't have to. Anyone? :)
Hi Mike. I'm thinking the same thing. I'm moving from San Francisco so I'm really excited about figuring out housing and getting some roots put down in Chicago. Right now I live alone but for social/financial reasons I'd like to have a roomate in Chicago. i've been looking at the Oak Park and Forest Park areas. I love to cook, I'm really neat, I'm outgoing and social but still a bit of a homebody :) I love dogs (don't have one but if someone else does I'd be happy with that). Anyway, if other people want to start chatting about housing I'd love to be a part of that!

On another note about computers... if anyone else is thinking about getting a Mac, keep in mind that for the past few years Apple has had a back to school special between June and September where they give away a free i-Pod touch or something like that with the purchase of a Mac. They can't say for sure they are doing the special this year or exactly when it is starting, but if you are not in a rush to get a new computer it may be worth it to wait another month or two for a $250 perk.

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note about computers... if anyone else is thinking about getting a Mac, keep in mind that for the past few years Apple has had a back to school special between June and September where they give away a free i-Pod touch or something like that with the purchase of a Mac. They can't say for sure they are doing the special this year or exactly when it is starting, but if you are not in a rush to get a new computer it may be worth it to wait another month or two for a $250 perk.

I can't imagine Apple wouldn't run a free iPod promotion this summer with the economy the way it is. Also, it looks like this has promotion has started the first week of June the past two years (June 4, June 5).

For any other PC users out there: I would avoid that Dell Loyola discount page because everything I saw was more expensive than regular Dell.com.

I am definitely interested in exploring housing options as well. I lived in Oak Park when I was younger and most of my family lives in and around the town. By the way, if anyone ends up in Oak Park there is a great restaurant on Oak Park Avenue called Maya del Sol. The Sopas de Tinga and Carne Asada are great!

I am not planning on moving until after July 18th though, how about everyone else?

Hi Mike. I'm thinking the same thing. I'm moving from San Francisco so I'm really excited about figuring out housing and getting some roots put down in Chicago. Right now I live alone but for social/financial reasons I'd like to have a roomate in Chicago. i've been looking at the Oak Park and Forest Park areas. I love to cook, I'm really neat, I'm outgoing and social but still a bit of a homebody :) I love dogs (don't have one but if someone else does I'd be happy with that). Anyway, if other people want to start chatting about housing I'd love to be a part of that!

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I'm moving from Colorado, and I was also thinking about Forest Park or Oak Park. Sounds like we might want to exchange emails. :) I like to cook, I'm tidy, social, but also kind of a home body. Also, I have a really sweet female golden retriever (small for a golden). :) I already graduated and I will be done with work in two weeks, so I was planning on making a road trip out to chicago to look at places to live. But I have a very open schedule between now and school starting, and i have family in the chicago area, so it would be easy for me to do the looking and picture taking if others were out of state.

I wasn't planning on moving until july, so in a perfect world I would rent a place starting july 1st. But a few current med students at loyola told me I might want to go out early to find really good places, and even if they say june 1st, they may cut a deal with med-student tenents.

But if anyone is interested in gathering a couple people together to find a nice place to live, let me know! [email protected]

:thumbup:

Also, I have a really sweet female golden retriever (small for a golden). :)

:thumbup:

I want a dog so bad...but since I don't have an acceptance (yet)...

...I don't know where I was going with this but I would love to have a roommate who had a dog.

...I don't know where I was going with this but I would love to have a roommate who had a dog.

Well hopefully you get the acceptance you want! :)

I want a dog too. I've always loved Huskies, and maybe if I adopt one I can buy a sled and he/she can bring me to class during inclement weather. :)

My girlfriend has a Chihuahua-Miniature Pinscher mix that will be accompanying us to Chicago. Somehow I doubt she (the dog!) will be able to tow my sled...

FYI, it looks like Oak Park has a lot of pet-friendly apartments.

Does anyone know how the parking situation in Oak Park is? It looks like most apartments don't have parking, and it also looks like street parking is often restricted. But, I assume if a lot of Loyola students live in Oak Park, most/all of whom say a car is necessary, then parking can't be that bad (since they must have cars). Does anyone in the area have any info?

According to class the class of 2012 thread, at least some people had financial aid stuff by April 8th. Anyone receive an e-mail yet?

Congrats on your acceptance!

I haven't gotten anything yet from financial aid, and I submitted all of my paperwork in feb. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten anything but I didn't submit until 2 days after my interview, which was on March 31st. When I called the fin aid office, however, they told me that my application had still been labeled "on-time"

I submitted my paperwork mid-March, and haven't received anything. I do know that we'll hear back by May 15th, so at least we don't have to wait too much longer.

Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this site. I got in a little while back and I've been so anxious to talk to other incoming students! I'm living in San Francisco right now and I'm actually really excited about Chicago (though sad to leave SF). Anyone else moving a long distance? I think I want to live in the Forest Park/Oak Park area, though I haven't visited it (just heard its a good place to live) Are people planning on trying to find roomates or living solo? By the way my name is Julie, JNL84 is pretty lame :)
Hi Julie,

I'm also living in San Francisco and prepping for a move to the midwest for Loyola! We should meet up in the city! I'm working at UCSF currently, and my name is Julia by the way.

Looking forward to Loyola!

I submitted my paperwork mid-March, and haven't received anything. I do know that we'll hear back by May 15th, so at least we don't have to wait too much longer.

I actually emailed them today asking about this, and they said that we should receive an email by the end of April or early May. Furthermore, if we dont hear anything by May 6, we should contact them.

Also, does anyone know when orientation starts this year? Last year, it was right at the end of July, but I can't seem to find anything about this year.

Hi Julie,

I'm also living in San Francisco and prepping for a move to the midwest for Loyola! We should meet up in the city! I'm working at UCSF currently, and my name is Julia by the way.

Looking forward to Loyola!

Hey Julia!
I would love to meet up. I actually live on the Panhandle so I'm very close to UC. My email is [email protected], shoot me an email and hopefully we can get together soon!

Also, does anyone know when orientation starts this year? Last year, it was right at the end of July, but I can't seem to find anything about this year.

Last year it was the week before classes started (July 28 to Aug. 1). Following the same schedule this year, our orientation should be July 27th to July 31st with classes starting on August 3rd.

I was getting impatient trying to find out our first year calendar so I searched the Loyola website like crazy and found this link. Thought I'd forward it just in case anyone else is overly excited and wants to start marking their calendars for next year. :D

Loyola Stritch 2009-2010 First Year Calendar
http://www.stritch.luc.edu/depts/regrec/cal/09101styr.cfm

Loyola just sent a letter saying financial aid is available this week.

For those of you who already have a Loyola Locus account (went to their undergrad or grad), it looks like it's already all there for you to view.

Ahh...seeing those financial aid numbers gives me the shudders. But, it'll be worth it.

ok, now this is starting to become real.

i just swung by the admissions office and they said that orientation was set for July 27th. Some of the current med students just met to make plans for it.

Hey has anyone received the financial aid e-mail with our log in stuff yet? I thought they said it was going to be sometime this week...

Yeah, a few of us have... keep watching out.

I haven't received my financial aid info yet, though I received the e-mail telling us that we would.

Hopefully we'll get it next week (and hopefully part of our awards will include grant or scholarship money! :))

Gosh... $61,000 per year... That's almost two BMW's per year. Or one and a half--I forget how much they go for these days.

But I also think it will most definitely be worth it :)

Hey has anyone received the financial aid e-mail with our log in stuff yet? I thought they said it was going to be sometime this week...

I didn't receive an email with the login either, so I sent an email to Donna on Friday. She said that they were going to send it out again this weekend, but she told me to try the following and it worked for me:

1. Click the link below to be directed to the MyLUMEN portal:
https://vault.lumc.edu/studentportal/index.cfm

2. Log into the portal using your universal ID, which is 'first name initial + full last name' and your temporary password which consists of your first name initial + last name initial + date of birth. For example, if your name is Joe Smith and your birth date is May 12, 1987 then your temporary password is js051287.

3. Click 'Go' to be directed to LOCUS (Loyola's Online Connection to University Services).

4. Log into LOCUS using the same universal ID and temporary password used to log into myLUMEN.

Incase you're still lost...

"Once you are logged into the LOCUS system, you will select "Campus Finances" in the Enterprise Menu and then "View My Financial Aid Award". Next, select the academic year 2010 to see the aid offered and you can also select "estimated cost of attendance" to see the break down of all educational costs."

This method should work for most people. If your aid hasn't been determined the page will reflect that as well.

Has anyone started the financial aid process and decided what lender to go with? I used Wells Fargo for my previous loans, but I called T.H.E. the other day and was really impressed at how quickly I was able to talk to a customer service representative (right away!--I was always on hold for at least 10 min elsewhere) and they don't capitalize interest until you enter repayment. I believe a lot of lenders capitalize interest while you're in school, so that could potentially save a lot of money.

It sounds like Accessgroup is the other lender Loyola students really like--anyone know much about them?

Only three months until orientation! :)

And only about two months until I start moving across the county :D

I am going back to Loyola this upcoming monday for an unofficial second look. I'll hear out some students about what lenders they are going with...not that I won't look at them individually but it should give a good idea about the general consensus.

T.H.E. does sound pretty good though from everything I've heard so far.

I am going back to Loyola this upcoming monday for an unofficial second look. I'll hear out some students about what lenders they are going with...not that I won't look at them individually but it should give a good idea about the general consensus.

T.H.E. does sound pretty good though from everything I've heard so far.

Have fun!

Hmm I dunno how big of a deal this is, but apparently there have been a lot of layoffs at the Loyola Medical Center and Stritch School of Medicine due to financial troubles...I really hope that this won't interfere with the tuition rate or the quality of the education!!! I'm trying to pick between UIC Chicago or Loyola Stritch for med school...I'm leaning towards Loyola, but I'm still not 100% sure!! ahhhh!

Hmm I dunno how big of a deal this is, but apparently there have been a lot of layoffs at the Loyola Medical Center and Stritch School of Medicine due to financial troubles...I really hope that this won't interfere with the tuition rate or the quality of the education!!! I'm trying to pick between UIC Chicago or Loyola Stritch for med school...I'm leaning towards Loyola, but I'm still not 100% sure!! ahhhh!

sounds like the same thing that is happening at most university medical centers across the country.

Does anyone know when we can expect to get our pre-matriculation information?

I'm not sure why the former dean resigned, but he is still teaching in the pathology department.

Menotoyou7-- I'm not sure when that information will be coming out, but hopefully soon!

Alright, it is now official. May 15th is here and I am Loyola bound (note to the posters who helped me in my previous indecisive thread: thank you!)

I'm in Chicago now, but only for work. So I still don't know much about the area. I've been to Oak Park before. But don't most students live in Forest Park?

And who's living alone and who's getting roommies? I don't know which I want...

Alright, it is now official. May 15th is here and I am Loyola bound (note to the posters who helped me in my previous indecisive thread: thank you!)

Congrats on the decision. I am positive you won't regret it!

Congrats to all of you on your decision to attend Loyola!! It is going to be a fantastic 4 years. I am a graduating senior so let me know if you have any questions about med school, where to live, what to expect, etc. I am also going to be renting my spacious 2 bedroom Forest Park condo, hopefully to a fellow med student so please feel free to PM me if you are interested as well.

Good luck! Med school is tough but being at Loyola will make it that much easier.

Hey Strich13ers,

I'm currently a first year procrastinating studying for our finals to let you in on a sweet apartment. My roommate and I LOVED this place. Anyways, its at 443 Elgin Ave in Forest Park, literally 1 block from Madison street. If you dont know about Madison street, you will :) Its a 2bdr, 1 bath with a PARKING garage included! Its like 1.5 car garage, but my roommate and I fit our two cars in there comfortably (you'll have to see what I'm talking about) Laundry is included and FREE in the basement, and there is also a dishwasher. Theres hardwood floors everywhere, and there is even an extra small room that we threw a table in and made it a study room. Theres also a patio which we used to grill. Overall its a sweet location, place, and has all the things I was looking for when I moved it.

Heres the rundown from the landlord:
Forest Park - Spacious, vintage 2 BR rarely available on quiet, tree lined street; 2bdr, hrdwd flrs, LR/DR, two porches; walk to el, prkg. & laundry. $1250/mo. 773.792.1044

Tell them the students living there told you to call. Oooh, and if you want to see pictures or anything, shoot me an email at [email protected]

Good luck!

Has anyone chosen a lender yet? I know there's been some talk about them on this thread, but I'm curious to know if there's any substantial differences between lenders. I thin T.H.E. wait to capitalize loans until repayment begins, but I think some of the other lenders do this as well. Anyone have any comments?

Secondly, when do we need to choose a lender and apply for loans by? I've accepted my financial aid award but, as you may guess, I haven't applied for my loans yet. Anyone?

Has anyone chosen a lender yet? I know there's been some talk about them on this thread, but I'm curious to know if there's any substantial differences between lenders. I thin T.H.E. wait to capitalize loans until repayment begins, but I think some of the other lenders do this as well. Anyone have any comments?

Secondly, when do we need to choose a lender and apply for loans by? I've accepted my financial aid award but, as you may guess, I haven't applied for my loans yet. Anyone?

As far as I know most students go with THE and they've been happy with their conditions and service. At least that's what I gathered during my visit a couple weekends ago.

During the same visit the financial aid staff also told me that we should choose a lender and go through the paperwork by end of May...or in that ballpark.

That's as much info as I have...I am gonna go through the entrance counseling online tonight...that should shed some light, too.

As far as I know most students go with THE and they've been happy with their conditions and service. At least that's what I gathered during my visit a couple weekends ago.

During the same visit the financial aid staff also told me that we should choose a lender and go through the paperwork by end of May...or in that ballpark.

That's as much info as I have...I am gonna go through the entrance counseling online tonight...that should shed some light, too.

Thanks for the info.

Ahh yes, I forgot about the loan counseling. I'll do that tonight too. Have you applied through T.H.E. yet?

I'm not sure if you're loaning the total cost of attendance out (God knows I am) but I don't know whether to just go ahead with the GradPLUS loans or maybe think about private loans. Thought about this at all?

Hey Ngats--congrats on your decision! Sorry I didn't congratulate you earlier--my sweetheart and I were at Disneyland and visitng her family in Los Angeles to celebrate her birthday :).

I applied for and went with T.H.E. for my financial aid. They make it very clear that interest is capitalized upon repayment (I called, and this is usually about 6 months after graduation, due to the deferment period, but if for some reason you start repayment sooner--perhaps due to taking a year or two off medical school-- then repayment would start then).

The main reason I went with T.H.E. is I was really impressed with their customer service--I called them and didn't have to wait at all to get to a customer service representative. I used Wells Fargo for my previous loans, and I was always on hold at least 10-15 min. My other lender, AES, is the same.

Access Group was really good when I called them (also no wait), and I believe they offer an interest rate reduction after a year or two of repayment, and I also believe the interest on their loans isn't capitalized until repayment as well. But I just had better vibes with T.H.E., so I went with them.

I thought about private loans as well, since it's possible they may be cheaper as interest rates are really low right now ) I have two private loans and my variable interest rates are below the stafford rates right now, though I should point out they were quite a bit higher when I first took them out--they were close to 9%. But, you probably need a cosigner to get a good rate, and even then it's still variable. I already have enough private loans cosigned with my Dad, and I really want to have him involved as little as possible since it affects his ability to get loans, etc., so that's a big reason why I opted to take out the rest of my COA in Grad PLUS loans.

Regarding housing, I think the bulk of the class, for the first two years, lives in both Oak and Forest Park, and I hear it's generally evenly divided between the two. I hear Forest Park is more fun, with more bars, etc. Personally I'm not much of a bar guy, and I thought Oak Park was beautiful, so my sweetie and I just signed a lease yesterday (but we havn't told our dog yet--she's a chihuahua/miniature pinscher mix, so she might not like the now very much!).

Hey Ngats--congrats on your decision! Sorry I didn't congratulate you earlier--my sweetheart and I were at Disneyland and visitng her family in Los Angeles to celebrate her birthday :).

I applied for and went with T.H.E. for my financial aid. They make it very clear that interest is capitalized upon repayment (I called, and this is usually about 6 months after graduation, due to the deferment period, but if for some reason you start repayment sooner--perhaps due to taking a year or two off medical school-- then repayment would start then).

The main reason I went with T.H.E. is I was really impressed with their customer service--I called them and didn't have to wait at all to get to a customer service representative. I used Wells Fargo for my previous loans, and I was always on hold at least 10-15 min. My other lender, AES, is the same.

Access Group was really good when I called them (also no wait), and I believe they offer an interest rate reduction after a year or two of repayment, and I also believe the interest on their loans isn't capitalized until repayment as well. But I just had better vibes with T.H.E., so I went with them.

I thought about private loans as well, since it's possible they may be cheaper as interest rates are really low right now ) I have two private loans and my variable interest rates are below the stafford rates right now, though I should point out they were quite a bit higher when I first took them out--they were close to 9%. But, you probably need a cosigner to get a good rate, and even then it's still variable. I already have enough private loans cosigned with my Dad, and I really want to have him involved as little as possible since it affects his ability to get loans, etc., so that's a big reason why I opted to take out the rest of my COA in Grad PLUS loans.

Regarding housing, I think the bulk of the class, for the first two years, lives in both Oak and Forest Park, and I hear it's generally evenly divided between the two. I hear Forest Park is more fun, with more bars, etc. Personally I'm not much of a bar guy, and I thought Oak Park was beautiful, so my sweetie and I just signed a lease yesterday (but we havn't told our dog yet--she's a chihuahua/miniature pinscher mix, so she might not like the now very much!).

Thanks for the encouragement, Brent. I'm really happy to have made my decision and glad to be aboard with Loyola. Oh, and I'm going to look into T.H.E. after work today. I appreciate all the info. :thumbup:

I spent some time in Forest Park and Oak Park yesterday evening (I'm working in Chicago currently) so I got a quick feel for both neighborhoods. They're both pretty nice areas, like you mentioned. Congrats on signing the lease. And good luck breaking the bad news to the dog. I guess you can buy her a winter coat as some sort of consolation.