Loyola University Stritch SOM - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemist21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I did not see a thread posted by anyone else for Loyola Class of 2014, now we have one!

Feel free to post on here if you have already committed to Stritch, or (if you're like me) indecisive about where to go, but are strongly considering coming here.

Best wishes to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances and I hope that you all decide that Loyola is the school for you! I am currently a first year at Loyola so let me know if you have any questions.

@ MU BIOM
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of action on this thread, so maybe you could help us out and tell us a few reasons why you picked Loyola over other schools, and even other schools that you were trying to decide between. I'm sure you get asked this all the time, but I find that it's interesting and helpful to get as many different bits of input as possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was deciding I was fortunate enough to be choosing between Loyola, SLU, and Medical College of Wisconsin. What stood out for me between Loyola and everyone else included the following:

1) Students just seemed happier and less stressed - I still think that that is true.

2) Main focus is on the students and their education. A great example of this is that Loyola built a new medical school about 13 years ago. They have spent this year working with a panel of students on identifying the best ways to spruce up the building so you will all walk in to see rejuvenated facilities.

3) The gym. Seriously though, the gym is a huge advantage - research shows that medical students who spend some time working out do better. Basketball draws a lot of students (some great, most terrible) and provides a great outlet on Mondays, Fridays, and after tests.

I have got some more but I'll post them later...

First of all, congrats to all who have been accepted to Loyola's 2014 Class! :D :thumbup:

There really is a different attitude towards medical education here, and the friendliness and collegiality you witnessed on your interview day was not an anomaly-- it really exists here every day.

If you have any specific questions, please ask, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them for you.

<insert shameless plug here... Also, since I'll be leaving the Chicagoland area for my residency, I'll have a condo for rent after mid May for those of you who might be interested. You can get the details here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=713549 ...end shameless plug>

Best wishes to you all,
IDforMe

I recently got accepted to Loyola :) ....Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for housing? I'm out of state and not too familiar with Chicago. Just wondering which areas are the most popular for students to live in. Thank you!

I recently got accepted to Loyola :) ....Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for housing? I'm out of state and not too familiar with Chicago. Just wondering which areas are the most popular for students to live in. Thank you!

Oak Park and Forest Park are next to each other and about 10-15 minutes from campus regardless of the weather.

Hey everyone! My name is Emil Fernando, and I'm a current M1 (soon-to-be M2) at Stritch. My current roommate is getting married and is going to move out, so I need to find a new one for my place (men only---sorry ladies!)

The address is 516 Des Plaines Avenue, Forest Park, IL, and it is a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment on the 2nd floor. It is about 3 miles away from Stritch, and it's around a 10-12 minute drive to get there everyday, which is really nice. The best part is that the RENT IS ONLY $985/month WITH 2 PARKING SPOTS (the building has its own lot right in back)! That comes out to well under $500/person, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a place this nice that's this cheap, close to school, and has parking. The ONLY utility that we'd need to split is electricity; everything else is covered, and the landlords are very friendly and are great with maintenance. The unit also includes on-site laundry machines.

I'm on the 2nd floor of the unit, so moving-in won't be hard and of course I'll help out. Here are some more perks: I'm a great, fun person to live with and am very easy going. Most of the apartment is already furnished, so that's a plus too! I have a 40inch, 1080p HD TV, a blu-ray player, and a Wii that you would of course be welcome to use as well. The kitchen has a dish-washer, which rocks! Living in Forest Park is great, too. Unlike in Oak Park, parking in Forest Park is FREE, which is extremely nice. Also, my place is a 5 minute walk from the Blue Line (quick access to downtown Chicago!) and a 2 minute walk from the Forest Park Public Library (GREAT place to study!). It's also a 5 min. walk from the Post Office building, which is nice for getting packages.

Also, probably the most important part, haha, the apartment is a 5 min. walk from Madison Street, which has TONS of bars on it and is usually where most people go to hang out on the weekends. During the 1st block (MCBG), EVERYONE goes out a TON because you have lots of time and you're getting to know everyone, so I can't describe how awesome it is just to walk a few minz to the bars and go everywhere and then stagger/stumble your way home without having to worry about cabbing it or finding a DD.

So, hopefully you can see that this place is close to all the places you'd wanna be close to and has a very affordable rent with parking. Also, if you ever need any help/guidance during your first year, I'd be more than willing to help out! If you're interested, please facebook message me or email me ([email protected]); if you'd like pics I can send you them, or if you live nearby and wanna visit, that's perfectly fine too! Friend me to find out more about me as a person! Thanks, and hopefully I'll hear from some of you soon!

Last edited:

The further west you look (i.e., Oakbrook Terrace, Villa Park, Elmhurst), the cheaper the apartments, generally. But you will pay a commuting premium (it is about 15 minutes from Stritch). A friend lived in Oakbrook Terrace at "Versailles" on Butterfield - nice place, heat/AC and in-unit washer/dryer included and you can get a 3 BR 2 BA for about $1500. I'm considering that place if I can find a roomie or two.

Has anyone else started a housing site elsewhere or are we all waiting for the official Loyola process in June?

I'm living in Oakbrook Terrace starting in September. FWIW.

Oh, and what the hell happened to this thread?! Now that we're in class, I need to do some serious SDN creeping.

Hi Students!

I just finished my residency at UIC and I'll be moving to Dallas soon. I have a condo for rent at 1135 Schneider Avenue in Oak Park, IL. The cost is $2500.00 per month but this is negotiable for a long-term lease.

This condo is located at the 3rd floor of a VERY safe building. It's very quiet so it'll be perfect for students needing a quiet place to study every day. This is a modern condo with TWO bedrooms and TWO full bathrooms. TWO parking spots are also included: one in the heated garage and one outdoor spot.

This condo is perfect for Loyola University students!

Please contact me at [email protected] if you have ANY questions.

Thanks and good luck in school!

Looking for 2 future M2 Females to share a 3 bedroom in Wicker Park for August 1st move in. Garage or street parking, no pets, clean, close 2 Metra, 90/94, and Blue Line. Please PM if interested.