Loyola v. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlliniEMT1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My moment of truth has arrived- I was accepted off the Pitt waitlist today but Ive been accepted at Loyola since last Nov. Now I have till Monday to decide and Im so confused! Ive only got 2 weeks to pick up and move to Pitt if I decide to go there, it was once my top choice, but I love Loyola, its close to home, and I had become very happy with the idea of going there as time to start classes grew near. So is Pitt enough of a better school to warrant scrambling to move in such a short time?
I am weighing my decision carefully but the schools stack up so evenly as far as how much I like them... and Id appreciate any input...

Members don't see this ad.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO PITT!!! It's a wonderful school. --Trek

I know you probably want some real feedback on your dillemma, but i was just drooling over your schools and had to say congrats on getting in to two great schools. I am applying to both for '03 entering class.

Personally, pitt is an awesome school that might give you better residency options, but loyola is no slouch, and chicago rocks. It really depends on where you're most comfortable. Sorry, i'm no help, just impressed with your schools.

Hey, would you mind posting your stats?

Thanks
Joe

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting off the Pitt waitlist ...now you face a tough decision! I am still on the Pitt wait list and I was wondering how you were accepted: phone call, email, snail mail, etc.

Thanks,

marmot

i was accepted via a phone call, but I got an email about it too. jofrbr - Pitt was actually my longshot school, I had a pretty good 34 MCAT but my gpa was a 3.59 with a ~3.5 sci.
Anyways, this will be tough- I love chicago, and as good as the student atmosphere is supposed to be at Pitt, I found it to be the same or better at Loyola,
I know rankings dont mean much, but I cant help thinking about Pitt's #17 rank...

Listen, go where YOU feel most comfortable! It doesn't matter what rankings say. Rankings really only come into play with the top 10 schools if your going regular md., or in the top 30 if you're going for academic medicine. Go to any hospital, go in the hospital and ask some doctor's, see if they know where their fellow co-worker went to school, ask them if they care if the person went to PItt or Loyola. If you'regoing into private practice or just want to be the regular make-a-lot-of-money doc., then the school choice isn't really an issue. Don't take my word for it, just go out there and talk to the people who REALLY know.

Go to Pitt. Look i will be there so that should be enough of a reason.:) But seriously, Pitt is great. I am already at Pitt right now for a summer prematriculation program. I cant tell you how awesome all of the professors and our classmates are. I turned down Columbia to come here and I am very happy that I made my decision. It wont be that hard to find an apartment and get furniture and stuff. I did it while I was in Texas so u should have no problem. If you need help with finding some good leasing companies or apartments, let me know. Or anything else to help with your move, just email me at my address in my profile. Pitt is really awesome and I am positive that you will not regret your decision.

Wow, tough decision.

I was accepted to Loyola and will be starting there in a few weeks. Out of all of the schools to which I was offered an acceptance, Loyola was far and away the best school. However, Pitt. is an amazing school and has much more to offer in terms of residency placement and location. If I were accepted to Pitt., I would go there in a heart-beat and take advantage of all that it has to offer. You really are lucky to be accepted there, and, whatever it is, I hope that you make the right decision (for you).

Like others said, Loyola is great, but Pitt. is exceptional. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on Pitt. again.

You guys are making way to big of a deal on the "rank" of the school.

Thanks for the advice! I decided to take the spot at Pitt. I decided that even before I had thought about rankings, Pitt was my first choice. Most of my apprehension came from making such a big decision on such short notice, but I am just going to have to scramble to find a place and Im sure itll work out come time to start classes.
Reesie, I will see you there... and W, congrats on getting in to a really great school.