loyola v. rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fijianpuppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like Rush better, its in a better location ie Chicago not Maywood, and I prefer the Rush Hospital system to Loyola. Alot of that is subjective but I don' think you can go wrong with either. I am sure Jbrice will chime in here soon with some Loyola nuggets, he has some good inside info on Loyola. Either way you are splitting hairs in alot of ways.

Go to Rush so I can get off the waitlist at Loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha...other than giving a spot for the above, I've heard Loyola has nicer facilities. And in reality, Maywood is 2 minutes west down the highway from UIC/Rush so it's not like UIC/Rush are THAT much more "in the city."

Rush upped their admissions requirements this year, though, so they might be on the up and up as far as prestige goes.

Either way it's a good problem to have.

I can't speak about Rush because I don't know it - but I CAN tell you what I like about being at Loyola:

1. I am happy. This sounds trite, but I think it is hugely important. Walk around both campuses, and talk to students, and see who looks happier. Loyola students are a pretty happy bunch.

2. The facilities here are amazing, new clean, nice etc. Have you seen our gym?

3. The school really wants you to succeed, they do anything it takes to help you do well.

4. The school does not just pay lip service to its mission statement of commitment to service. There are tons of opportunities to get involved and do things to make the community a better place.

5. You are only 9 miles from Chicago. Yeah - Maywood isn't that great, but nobody lives in maywood... Most students live in Oak Park or Forest Park - both of which are nice.

any more questions, feel free to PM me. I am sure Jbrice will pop in eventually and add a few more things he likes about the place.

There are previous threads that compare the two schools - do a search. I consider the two schools to be similar overall. Here are some random thoughts: For preclinical years, Rush has more lectures (longer days), while Loyola's is shorter. Rush is in Chicago right next to Cook County (Stroger) hospital and UIC (Rush students do some rotations at Cook County hospital). Loyola is in Maywood, 15 minutes west (driving with no traffic). Loyola has a newer medical school building, which I'm sure you know from interviewing there. Anyway, these are some random thoughts. Both are very respectable programs. If you have a specialty that you're interested in, you could investigate which has a better residency program for that specialty.

I like Rush better, its in a better location ie Chicago not Maywood, and I prefer the Rush Hospital system to Loyola. Alot of that is subjective but I don' think you can go wrong with either. I am sure Jbrice will chime in here soon with some Loyola nuggets, he has some good inside info on Loyola. Either way you are splitting hairs in alot of ways.

haha...i suppose i should say something since i was called out

really, like everyone else is saying, pick the one you like better and felt better at. location, to me, isn't an issue. i live on the north side of chicago, and would live there regardless of which school i'd gone to...so you can live where you want either way, and the location doesn't really matter when you're in a lecture hall.

i'm very happy at loyola. it's a great atmosphere and the students are a lot of fun.

uh...my brain is fried from studying, so i have nothing of any real substance to offer.

PM me or Flop if you have questions about loyola though

If all other things are equal, go with Loyola, I think their tuition is slightly less expensive.

In perceived prestige (if that is important to you), I feel they are equal. I'd go with the least expensive. And I think Loyola is more than a bit cheaper. I think being away from the down town Chicago traffic would be a plus.

Hi All,

I'm reviving this thread as I just found out that I got into Rush off of the waitlist. Now I have to make a decision between Loyola and Rush, and I'm having a pretty difficult time. These are some of my thoughts:

Rush
1. In Chicago
2. Good hospital system
3. More lecture-heavy than Loyola (or so it seems this way...current students please offer your thoughts on this)
4. More expensive than Loyola
5. Facilities seemed a bit outdated, and there is no gym

Loyola
1. In Maywood (will be somewhat of a hassle to get to campus from downtown using public transportation)
2. Focus on clinical care
3. Jesuit tradition (I am a bit concerned about this as I am of a different religious background)
4. Very student-friendly
5. Combination of lecture and small-group learning
6. Amazing facilities

Some questions I have...

1. How much time do Loyola students spend in small-group learning sessions?
2. How "well-known" is Loyola's hospital system? I know that Rush's system is very well known in Chicago.
3. Which school has the better national reputation?

One main draw to Rush is that I can live downtown and commute easily to campus. But I feel like this really shouldn't be a deciding factor on which school I go to. If anyone can offer some advice for me, I would really appreciate it....and sorry if I've repeated comments that are already on this thread...

thank in advance!

mdapp06

I was also wondering if people have thoughts on the 3rd and 4th years at Loyola and Rush...how do the schools differ in these final two years?

Bump...anyone want to throw in some advice? I made a list of pros and cons for each school, but its still a tough decision to make :)

Bump...anyone want to throw in some advice? I made a list of pros and cons for each school, but its still a tough decision to make :)

you might get a better response from the allo forum if you are looking for info from current students :)
(and i would follow and read since i hope to be in this place sometime next year ;) )