loyola vs. aecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

risnwb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i'm just looking for some help comparing these two. I'm in at loyola which i really like, and i have an interview at aecom mid january. i have a few other schools that i'm waiting to hear from, and I don't want to skip any more days of work if i don't have to, but i am interested to hear opinions about einstein. Its ranked pretty well and that's basically all i know. anyone who interviewed at both loyola and aecom have a strong preference about location/curriculum/matches? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

risnwb said:
hi guys, i'm just looking for some help comparing these two. I'm in at loyola which i really like, and i have an interview at aecom mid january. i have a few other schools that i'm waiting to hear from, and I don't want to skip any more days of work if i don't have to, but i am interested to hear opinions about einstein. Its ranked pretty well and that's basically all i know. anyone who interviewed at both loyola and aecom have a strong preference about location/curriculum/matches? thanks!

albert einstein is much more highly ranked, by far. But, living in the Bronx isn't exactly pleasant. Loyola has a good location and everyone there seems happy. But, there's something cool about going to school at highly ranked place. =P

The Bronx isn't so bad. I'm not too fond of New York in general, but I spent a summer at AECOM and it wasn't unpleasant at all. Einstein is a pretty cool school with a nice hospital system and a pretty good reputation. I don't know anything about Loyola, though. Missing work is hard, but it might be best to just go ahead and go to the interview to see how you like the school. Unless you absolutely love Loyola and definitely want to go there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
y'know, I'm from ny originally (haven't been back in years ... until the aecom interview) and when i went to the bronx i didn't think twice. people i'm friends iwth on the west coast were like. OMG! THE BRONX! ITS THE GHETTO! and the truth is, it wasn't, it wasn't at all. the area right around aecom is quite pleasant. Granted, there's a not so savory neighborhood in walking distance, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all around the school. lots of italian food places and bakeries are local and in the daytime i felt comfy walking around alone.i wouldn't go out alone at night, but i wouldn't go out alone at night where i live now and walk a few miles. its like any city. there are good places and bad places. but i was out there around halloween and the residential homes on morris park ave. were cute, all families and decorated. and the student apartments are there for people who don't want to worry about finding a nice area in the bronx to live. plus its a 45 min. busride from manhattan (you DO NOT want to drive into manhattan) So, Einstein is my first choice, I went out there and i got that feeling in my gut that said this is your school, even though it was in the bronx. and i didn't get mugged. not even once *laugh*
I was yelled at by a little old lady, but that was because she mistook me for someone else, and its a long story.....

this is a real toughy. i wouldn't know what to go with. but i just asked my dad who's sitting right here (and an MD) and he said go with AECOM. sorry, no explanation given.
-mota

I think that the whole "rank" thing just has far too much importance attached to it. The residency match lists, the location, the type of other students, cost, location (yes, I said it again), and "feel" are all more important.

I would say go to the interview, and just really feel around to see if the click is there for you. Ignore any "rank" lists, or anybody that tries to tell you that the "rank" is a reason to choose one school over another.

I had a similar situation when I was comparing schools a couple of years ago. I eventually chose AECOM over Loyola and a bunch of other schools and am very happy with my choice.

Here are the match lists for Loyola:
'05 - http://www.luhs.org/news/pubs/lm/spr05.pdf - page 9
'04 - http://www.luhs.org/news/pubs/lm/spr04.pdf - page 13

Here are AECOM's (Einstein Med's) Match Lists:
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/home/admissions/2005_match_results.htm

Good Luck with your decision, PM me if you have any questions on either of those schools as I worked for a summer at Loyola and now go to Einstein.