Loyola vs Creighton (Decision made. Thank you!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Although I have made my decision and took out personal information from this post, I am going to leave this up with this throwaway account for those in the future who might benefit from my research into the schools. They are both great schools I was honored to hold acceptances at and am sad to leave one behind! Best of luck to all!

Both
  • Relatively same cost, considering cost of living and scholarship
  • Both schools center around creating physicians focused on social justice and helping the underserved, prioritize volunteering and community involvement
  • Affiliated hospitals, childrens, va, etc. diverse yet strong clinical sites
  • Ranked similarly by PD
  • Both focus on student wellness and addressing burnout
  • Clerkships start at the same time
  • Similar step 2 scores
  • Similar home residencies
  • Similar availability of electives and away rotations
  • Really enjoyed both interview days and got a great vibe off of students and faculty (although Loyola I felt more at home during, if that makes any sense)

Loyola
Pros
  • Faculty and students seem to be really happy and collaborative
  • Diverse and seemingly accessible volunteer opportunities
  • Obviously the gym. Working out daily in a nice sunny place is very important to my mental health and shows they walk the talk on student wellness
  • They really seem to be living the Jesuit mission, and although I am not a religious person, I am strongly aligned with the Jesuit values
  • The whole campus is new and sunny, my favorite campus of all the places I interviewed at
  • I had some involvement with undergrad things here and was pretty happy with how accessible and cooperative the administration/faculty was, but separate institutions more or less
  • Ranked in several categories
  • Close to many academic centers for diverse research opportunities
  • Very accessible and professional mental health and academic support services
  • Very diverse student body, even in life experiences and age, which is important as a non-trad
  • Strong mentoring program
Cons
  • Their available tech for procedural simulation is very minimal
  • Sounds like research is harder to get into at Loyola, but some students I’ve talked to say otherwise
  • Although preclinical years are pass/fail, there is an internal ranking
Creighton
Pros
  • Solid match list from my perspective
  • Most students involved in research
  • Omaha has a low cost of living and seemed really cool, a slower vibe than Chicago which I think would be good for school
  • Phoenix campus: Great research opportunities, strong hospital and neuro opportunities, volunteer clinic in Mexico, I like to be outside
  • A bunch of really great procedural sim tech
  • Resources from undergrad campus as they share their campus (maybe?)
  • Students seemed really happy at both campuses
  • Strong infrastructure for preparing students for all aspects of the match, starting year one, career mentors in clerkships
  • Capstone course after match to prepare for specific specialty before entering residency
  • no internal ranking in first two years (P/F/Honors for top 10%)
Cons
  • Lecture halls, although new equipment have a strange setup that seems like it could be distracting (don't know if this matters as they are recorded)
  • Sharing campus with undergrads, wellness resources not entirely dedicated to med students like Loyola
  • Volunteer clinical opportunities seems to be like a once every three month opportunity
  • Greatly emphasized the importance of the catholic belief in the curriculum in presentations, but students negated that and described an inclusive atmosphere
  • Unranked
  • Their class is very young compared to others

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
https://hsd.luc.edu/media/healthsciencesdivision/pdfs/Class of 2020 Match List.pdf here is loyola 2020 match. Pretty solid and they do match a lot of people to the west coast. They said at second look-- almost everyone with roots in the west and people that wanted to go there were able to. The reality is its heavily midwest match because most people want to stay there! Not a reflection on the school's ability to match west.

And man would you really rather be in nebraska than chicago?

I interviewed and was accepted to Creighton. The stundents seem really happy and the support from admin/faculty at Creighton is pretty awesome. A chance to attend your 3rd and 4th year at a brandnew Creighton campus in Phoenix is prety nice too. If you are interested in Nuero, you can do a rotation with the Barrow Nuerological Institute, which is attached to Creighton St. Joeseph in Phoenix. Pretty awesome.

Attachments

• Creighton 2020 Match.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 85
Honestly, Creighton and Loyola are very similar schools. I would go to Loyola because of the scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)