Loyola vs Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd end up making one of these threads since until last night, I was pretty much 90% set on where I was going (Loma Linda). I originally decided LLU because although they are religious and have lifestyle agreements, it didn't matter much to me because my SO's family was religious and I don't drink anyway (I'm actually a fairly boring person and I'm not ashamed to admit it). I also was fine with the vegetarian campus (since I have been trying for the past 2 years to eat mostly plant-based anyway). And anyone who's seen my posts here since the beginning would probably know I was OBSESSED with staying in CA for med school (and am amazed I even have the opportunity to). I've also been living in the IE for a few years already, and am familiar with everything and have gotten accustomed to life here. Another important note was the fact that a big reason why I really REALLY wanted to stay in CA in the first place was so things would be easier for my SO (although he had stated he'd move wherever I went).

That being said, we just found out last night he was offered a pretty big opportunity over in Chicago job-wise, and now he's seriously thinking about relocating over there. That's where Loyola comes into play...since they were my first acceptance and I actually was really psyched about going there. My SO and I have agreed to give it a few days to mull it over on both sides before discussing it (since you know, the excitement of an acceptance can blur you for a bit until it wears off). I'd be kidding if I said I'm not scared of moving somewhere out of state when I've never lived OOS before (yeah...I'm a true spoiled CA kid).

My impression is that in terms of prestige, they are about the same (just mostly local?). For me, the COA will also be probably about the same since I didn't get any aid from Loyola, and I don't think LLU gives aid at all. I realize this is actually a good problem to have (it could be much worse), since it basically comes down to what I want vs what he wants (and I get the option of going to school in either location). Oh...and I don't know if this is going to help sway anything, but I'm not sure if I would like a competitive specialty (so I'd prefer the door not be closed)

What does SDN think?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Chicago - expand your horizon. Living in one place your whole life is lame.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it builds up resiliency to move around at least a little... That being said I love Chicago! Also, a friend of mine moved there from Hawaii and they were fine so hopefully you should as well. I'd say go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you disintegrate in the presence of snow, go to Chicago. The IE is... not what I think of when I think of what makes California great. Chicago will be new and different and you can always come back to California if you really want to! Loyola seems like a cool school. That's my vote.