Loyola vs Northwestern post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlkaIL

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a resident of IL and trying to decide between a Loyola and Northwestern post-bacc? Any opinions of someone who went through it or is going through it? Or would it be better ti take classes at UIC for in state tuition rate since it is a reputable state university?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I dont really have any advice on the subject, but I am considering those two programs too. I think I am going with Loyola, but only because I am graduating with my BSN this December and I will most likely be working nights next year. Loyola offers classes mostly during the day, but northwestern only offers classes on nights and weekends. I also considered UIC, but since they dont have a postbacc program, I thought that I might feel a little lost in the whole process of things. Although, tuition at loyola is killer, hopefully I can get employer reimbursement for at least some of it. When are you planning to start your post bacc? Im planning on next summer or fall. Maybe we'll have classes together :)

I haven't attended either, but there is a significant difference between the two--one is an undergrad pre-med requisites program, and the other is a Masters program that assumes you have completed the pre-reqs, so I don't really know how you could be contemplating both at the same time.

Assuming you have already completed the pre-reqs, you should consider the graduate program first since it has more weight in med school admissions. Bear in mind though, that this program has no lab or research component (that I know of), so its only purpose will be to help you get into med school. Since its only been around for a couple of years, there is also no track record to compare its performace as opposed to the more established programs at Georgetown and Boston University. So if you are considering the MS programs, I would look at BU and Georgetown first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have completed the Northwestern Program and can say that it is a good program. Very challenging, but good. I have taken classes at Loyola and believe the NU classes to be more challenging.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Both of these are structured post-bacc programs (not master's) as I have no science background.
I considered the UIC route too, but chicked out at the thought of competing for my grade with traditional pre-med students that don't work and at the thought of no advising and no structure in the post bacc. I'm going to tonight's open house at Northwestern for their post-bacc, so hopefully I'll have a decision soon. Thanks again everyone!
How did you all go about shadowing docs? I don't have a doctor, she moved out of state :( and was considering calling the docs at Northwestern Memorial and some other hospitals and asking? Do you think any chances?

At Loyola, you would actually be taking the same undergrad classes as all the other students, so you would be competing with the traditional premeds. They don't actally have special post bacc classes. Which kinda sucks. I would really like to do the northwestern program, but I will have to see what kind of work schedule I end up with for next year. Im sure if you call some doctors, some one will let you shadow. Otherwise, you could do an EMT class through a community college, they have to do clinicals in the ER and you would get to spend some time with the docs. I am not shadowing as I will be working as a nurse and I figure thats all the doctor contact I will need :p

Good idea. I'm going to try to get someone to let me shadow them, otherwise there's an EMT class at Wright College starting in January.

I just got back from a Northwestern University Open House and I think that is where I will go in the fall. From what they say it is rigorous but the classes are all for non-trads (i.e. structured post-bacc) which is what I need. Also they have a great rep. I'm going to take one basic bio class in January to see if I like it before I apply for the fall. Can't wait! Talked to the people of Loyola and I think that it is not as good of a fit for me. I personally prefer to be in a group of some students that are in the same boat as me, and have more structure. Hopefully, Northwestern will take me, if not I'l try UIC, then Loyola.

Let me know where you'll be going Moonie. Looks like we are on a similat schedule.

I have a job interview at Evanston Northwestern Hospital in two weeks. If I get a job there, I will seriously consider the Northwestern program if I can fit it into my schedule, because working there, the hospital will give me a 50% off price for tuition at Northwestern, plus then they will pay 75% of the remaining tuition. That would be a damn good deal :)

Good luck on your interview!

I did the post-bacc program at Northwestern this past year (or at least most of it, as I had taken some of the pre-reqs in college). I thought it was fairly rigorous and challenging, since many of the students in the program had gone to Northwestern. I definitely had to push myself to do well, but if you put the time in, it can be done. I liked my professors for biology and physics, which is what I took there. Tests were challenging but fair, and labs were long but at least somewhat relevant to the class. The lectures were all but unnecessary, especially toward the end, but I still went to them. I think Northwestern has a good reputation and I'd recommend their program.

I actually took organic chemistry over the summer at Loyola, since I only needed one semester (plus I heard organic chem at NW is a total nightmare). The professor I had was very challenging, but the competition in the class was noticeably less hardcore. Apparently the other professor's class was a walk in the park. And the labs were kind of a joke - I thought NW's classes had better experiements and facilities.

All in all, I was pleased with both schools. I took all these classes right up to the MCAT last summer, and managed a 38 based largely on my preparation in my post-bacc courses (ran out of money to take an MCAT prep course). Plus Chicago is just the best city in the world, I mean seriously, it is. I should not have moved back to the dreary, rude, impersonal, hilly East Coast.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them!

I went to Northwestern for undergrad and while I am not familiar with the rules for the postbacc students I think there are a few things you should check into and/or note. One, as undergrads, we were allowed to take science classes in the night school (which would be what the postbacc students take) in place of the classes undergrads would normally take. I believe very few undergrad students do that or even know about it. So either way I think that you might be able to do the opposite and take day school classes (provided that you register really early bc they almost always fill up) if that works better for your work schedule. Also, I know that some of the classes are taught by the same professors that taught them in undergrad and since we were allowed to substitute them for undergrad classes I would presume that they are failry equivalent to what the traditional pre-med students take. Other than that... I feel that I received a great education at Northwestern (although it was very difficult and painful at times) and it really shows now that I am in graduate school and my classmates are having probs and I think it is easy compared to undergrad... Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the area/school/etc!

I currently attend Loyola, though not as a post-bacc. The post-bacc students take their prereqs with us however, so I can attest to the quality of the program which I highly recomend. The students are fairly uncompetitve which means that if you work hard, you will earn your A. This is not to say that the program is not challenging. I have had opportunities to converse with Northwestern students about their premed class lectures and I feel that I am learning just as much as they are. The earlier poster was correct however, in his assessment of Loyola's lab courses. They are challanging, but not to the degree of which NU's labs are challenging. Rather than writing a lab report, we hand in a worksheet at the end of lab. In regards to the pre-heath advising and commitee, I could not be happier. The advisor has helped me to find a fantastic clinical volunteering position. Despite my unusual path to medicine, my horrible first two years of college, and my transfering of college twice, the advisor has not been condecending (which all other advisors have been) and has been straight with me as well as given me hope towards my dream. There is a fairly active premed community at Loyola as well which is great for making connections. All in all, I would strongly recomend Loyola.

PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools have undergrad programs, but Loyola also has a quasi-SMP, which advertises a 77% success rate for their first graduating class. If you've already completed your pre-reqs, I would strongly advise you to look into the SMP instead of the undergrad post-bacc program.

Thanks. However, I have completed no pre-requisites. The only science class I took was an anatomy class freshman year, which I received a C in since it was an intense summer course and I was working full-time and could not commit enough study time. A SMP program wouldn't do anything for me at this time. Thanks for all the advice.

At Loyola, you would actually be taking the same undergrad classes as all the other students, so you would be competing with the traditional premeds. They don't actally have special post bacc classes. Which kinda sucks.

Not neccesarily a bad thing. I did Loyola's post bacc, and ended up doing very well there (and translated to many acceptances). Loyola is a good school, but maybe not as 'rigorous' as NW. I thought of it this way: I would rather be the big fish in a small pond, than a small fish at a big pond.

and you can work at Evanston NW and go to Loyola - I did (although i didn't know about the tution thing, that is a HUGE bonus. I would say that if you can work that, then NW hands down. You will get enough huge debts down the road in med school).

Good luck

I am also debating whether to do Loyola or Northwestern’s Post Bacc. What I could gather from the general studies site at NW was that you had to take an Intro to Biology course before you could apply to the Pre-Medical program. Am I reading this correctly? If this is true, then it would make me very apprehensive about taking a biology class before chemistry, in which case usually makes you understand biology better, I hear. Is there any other way to avert this bio requirement if there is one?

If this is true, then it would make me very apprehensive about taking a biology class before chemistry, in which case usually makes you understand biology better, I hear. Is there any other way to avert this bio requirement if there is one?

I'm also looking at NU and Loyola. It looks from the NU website that you do need an intro bio course to apply. I certainly think that having a semester of chem before bio was helpful for me in understanding what really happens at a chemical level in various biological reactions. I couldn't comment on how to skip the req unfortunately, but at my school Gen Chem 1 is a prereq for intro bio. I was wondering if someone who attended the Loyola Postbac program could comment on how overall the postbac students felt about the Loyola program, and their chances of getting into medical school. They report 75% acceptance, and from what other posts have said, it definitely seems like a quality program without the extra headache of Northwestern classes.

I'm also looking at NU and Loyola. It looks from the NU website that you do need an intro bio course to apply. I certainly think that having a semester of chem before bio was helpful for me in understanding what really happens at a chemical level in various biological reactions. I couldn't comment on how to skip the req unfortunately, but at my school Gen Chem 1 is a prereq for intro bio. I was wondering if someone who attended the Loyola Postbac program could comment on how overall the postbac students felt about the Loyola program, and their chances of getting into medical school. They report 75% acceptance, and from what other posts have said, it definitely seems like a quality program without the extra headache of Northwestern classes.

I don't know what the overall stats are. I did the program at Loyola, and got into my share of med schools. Most of the people who I personally knew got in. The only exception I can think of is someone who was fighting a huge uphill battle with past bad academic performance, not sure if any program would have helped him.

Overall, I was very pleased with the program. Never had an issue getting into classes. They wrap all the post-baccs into the comittee process with all the undergrads. It's a pain in January, when they are pushing you to have drafts of your personal statement in. But you will be singing their praises when you apply, and all that is taken care of. I had all my apps in early because they didn't let me procrastinate.

I've been gone a couple years now, but I still keep in touch with the folks in the pre-med office. They really care there.

can you get financial aid for post-bacc programs? student loans, etc? i'm in chicagoland, too, and was considering just opting for a CC, but, maybe i'll do one of these post-baccs if i can depend on some sort of financial aid....

Typically you can. Most of the students in my postbac just filled out the FAFSA like everyone else.

I am also deciding between NWestern and Loyola. I know NW costs around 18000. Does anyone know what Loyola's tuition is?

<<I am also deciding between NWestern and Loyola. I know NW costs around 18000. Does anyone know what Loyola's tuition is?>>

Loyola gives you the option to take 12 credits- full time- and pay $12,000 or if you take less (which they highly recommend) you pay $550 a credit. Lectures are 3 and labs are 1 credit. What they don't tell you is you pay ~450 per lab on top of it. In the end, still less than 12 grand. From what I have heard, financial aid is available up to $10,000.

I am in the program now and have very few complaints. The postbac students, who are pretty easy to spot in class, are all driven but not necessarily competitive. More importantly the pre-med office has been fantastic. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Does anyone know how long it would take to complete the NU post-bac with no science pre-reqs? Would it take at least two years?

SCORPS:
The NU postbacc program has 1 year each of bio, physics, inorganic chem and organic chem. Most postbacc students take 2 classes/year and it takes 2 years (assuming you have the necessary prerequisites).

Working full time and taking 2 (*3 quarters each) classes/year (when organic chem is involved) would probably overtax all but the most efficient and bright students. Usual sequence is inorganic and physics, then organic and bio.

If you have prereqs to do before these, you can usually do them in parallel with your first year (assuming you have the time). The only prereq I recall is for bio...and organic requires the inorganic, of course.

For the people that have made it through the Loyola or NWU postbac and have gotten through to med school: If you don't mind me asking, what were your undergraduate GPAs? I'm still trying to figure out what the heck to do. I only had a 3.14 undergraduate, but now a 3.9 in graduate work.

Hello,
I am trying to decide between Roosevelt, Loyola and Northwestern or just taking the pre-requisites at UIC. Which would be the least competitive? Are any of them graded on a curve? Which has the least prerequisites?
Best,
Amy

I am also deciding between Loyola, NW and UIC. This post looks from 2008. Anyone from 2009 who can share their experience?:idea:

I too am considering the post-bacc pre-med programs. Unfortunately for me, most Chicago based programs want you to start at least in summer sessions, or at the most Fall sessions, which means I'll have to wait to begin. However, I'm considering Northwestern (mainly b/c they have night classes and I don't want to have to quit my full-time job unless I really have to), Loyola (day classes only from what I've researched so far), and Roosevelt (maybe evening classes?).

I'll definitely be applying to all three, but am looking for something that is most convenient to me, regardless of price or competition, although I'll really have to work my butt off.

My undergrad is in liberal arts, no science background, gpa low average of 3.1, been working in business administrative setting for past 4 years, draining life out of me. I've decided to make a career change, desire to be fulfilled with my contribution back to society and the more I think about this pre-med change, the more I realize its what I've always wanted and should've done it long ago.

Nonetheless, i'm looking for a program to complete all pre-reqs in a program where i can still hold onto my job for as long as possible. Anyone know of night/weekend programs other than Northwestern? Anyone attempted Northwestern while working full-time?

Thanks!!!!!

I am also considering Northwestern because they have classes at night/evening.

I finished the Northwestern postbacc last year, started med school this past August. In addition to the core prerequisites, i took a lot of extra science classes (about 12).

The program is extremely difficult but if you put in the time, you can get the grades you need. In addition, the difficulty of the courses means that you're relatively well prepared for the MCAT. The quality of instruction varies tremendously. There are a lot of great teachers and a couple that make you wonder how they got the job. The other postbacc students were generally likeable. There is a high degree of pressure, but there was none of the cutthroat nonsense that we all hear about with premeds. The course sequences start crowded but the attrition rate is very high and I never felt like I couldn't ask a professor for a recommendation if I felt that one was deserved.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I am currently finishing Loyola's program and applying to med schools at the same time. I was a humanities major in college with about a 3.6 and I'm finishing Loyola with about the same GPA. I opted to begin in the fall of 2008 and to cram all my classes into one year so to only take a couple extra classes over my gap year before med school. This was stressful, but I'm getting med interviews, so I'm pretty optimistic about my chances. I also didn't want to spend two years in a postbac program and then apply.

On the whole, I give Loyola a B+. The classes will definitely prepare you for the MCAT (though you should still take a prep class) and the teachers are very good (they're there to teach, not do research). People in the premed office are very helpful and are there for your questions. The downside is that you're thrown in with mostly undergrads, so it feels like you're going back to college without all the benefits of having minimal responsibilities. Furthermore, I never really felt like I knew that many other postbacs--you basically just figure it out from your classes.

Anyway, if you're trying to decide about the program, just call the pre-health office and ask to talk to one of the advisers. They are very helpful and they have seen thousands of postbac students, so I'm sure they can offer some perspective on your situation.

Good luck!!

I was suppose to begin the post bacc pre-med program at Loyola last Fall, but due to some personal issues, was unable to enroll. I am hoping to begin this summer. Does anyone know whether attending the Loyola program increases the chances of being accepted into their med school? I was hoping to get everything done in one year, but seeing that it has been quite a few years since I graduated college, I worry that my academic skills aren't what they use to be, LOL. I guess we shall see! Most likely I won't rush things. Where did the 75% med school acceptance stat come from?

I decided to go with NU only coz it has evening classes for Pre-Physical Therapy.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know which campus classes are at? I've seen ads for the scs downtown chicago? Are classes near the hospital campus or Evanston?

Does anyone know which campus classes are at? I've seen ads for the scs downtown chicago? Are classes near the hospital campus or Evanston?
I believe classes with a lab are in Evanston. Most of the core pre-reqs are in Evanston but I know some of the other science electives are downtown. I believe you can look up location information for each class on the northwestern scs website.

Core classes for the premed track (bio, chem, orgo, physics) are in Evanston. Anatomy and some of the "elective" coursework (which may be required for pre-PA/PT/Nursing programs) may be in Chicago.

I finished the Northwestern postbacc last year, started med school this past August. In addition to the core prerequisites, i took a lot of extra science classes (about 12).

The program is extremely difficult but if you put in the time, you can get the grades you need. In addition, the difficulty of the courses means that you're relatively well prepared for the MCAT. The quality of instruction varies tremendously. There are a lot of great teachers and a couple that make you wonder how they got the job. The other postbacc students were generally likeable. There is a high degree of pressure, but there was none of the cutthroat nonsense that we all hear about with premeds. The course sequences start crowded but the attrition rate is very high and I never felt like I couldn't ask a professor for a recommendation if I felt that one was deserved.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

SO you were in a glide year this year before you entry into medical school this fall? Where did you go? How many schools did you get into out of how many you applied to?