Loyola vs. Rush vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchool2007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I'm new to SDN. I was referred to this site. just thought I would get some feedback. I applied to chicago schools only and have been accepted to my top 3 choices. I am leaning towards Loyola as it was my best interview experience but UIC is looking good for the money and Rush has good facilities, but so does Loyola, anyone have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me preface by saying that I'm not the authority on which you should base your decision, but I was participating in a medical program at northwestern a few months back and had the opportunity to visit both Rush and Loyola (not UIC). You're right, Rush's facils are very nice as well as quite new. The only thing I disliked about their facil is that they lacked a gym or anything analogous to it. Instead, if not mistaken, they share a workout facil with UIC. It's like Rush students have free membership there. As far as Stritch goes, they too have a very nice layout with brand new SOA equipment. Loyola's faculty is extremely nice too. My only complaint with Loyola is the location - Maywood. I'd prefer to be in the city and for that reason I think Rush is great. Not to mention the great exposure you'd have to hospitals like Cook County. I too will be applying to chicago schools when the time comes, and I'm really pulling for Rush and of course U of C. Sorry nothing to say about UIC. Really not sure if I helped. Good luck, either way you can't go wrong.
____________________________________________________University of Missouri-Columbia
MIZZOU TIGERS:clap:

I would go with Loyola. I've heard UIC and Rush aren't nearly as supportive of their students. I've also heard that Rush has had financial problems, but I don't know if that's true. To me, I would try to decide between UIC (cheaper) vs. Loyola (supportive). I also think Loyola has a better record of matching outside of Illinois, so if leaving the state for residency is a possibility, Loyola is prob. better for that.

Also keep in mind that UIC is no longer really cheap. Tuitition has gotten pretty high there, and with the state budget problems, will likely increase at a faster rate than the private schools (of course a big gap will always remain but not as much)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people who go to Rush, and they really like it. I've heard they're very supportive of their students. One chose Rush over Northwestern.
Sorry, don't have too many details...

Hey, I agree with bw07. UIC's gonna get expensive, and I haven't heard UIC students say much good about how big and competitive it is. All three are affiliated with the big Chicago hospitals, so you're definitely gonna see patients no matter where you go. I've been accepted to Loyola too, and was very impressed by the facilities, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go for Rush. I'd want to be closer to the city. Congrats on all your acceptances, medschool2007, and good luck with your decision!

hmm, I just realized bw07 voted for Loyola. I agree about UIC tuition is what I meant. It just comes down to personal choice. And I live too close to Maywood, so being on the other side of the city would get me at least a little distance from the fam. ;)

I can't say much for Loyola but concerning UIC vs. Rush.

I would pick UIC over Rush any day. Sure Rush has a newer facility and stuff But UIC is one block away from Rush and I have friends at UIC who uses Rush's facilities ALL the time. They have never gotten into trouble studying at Rush. It seems that Rush students are pretty use to having UICers over.

I was really impressed with the hospital at Rush. They have great facilities. I think all of the Chicago schools have great clinical rotations. It seems that all of the schools, ( including Chicago Osteopathic), rotate together in several of the hospitals.

one more thing....I don't know anything about UIC, but a good friend of mine went there. He loved it, and got a top surgical residency out here in Los Angeles. So I'm sure that finding a residency will be no problem at any of the schools. ( and no, he didn't have "incredible" numbers ).

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of your feedback. I've gotten a lot of private message with a lot of info as well. SDN is a great resource. I am leaning towards Loyola. Rush is to expensive for what it has too offer. UIC doesn't have as good of a rep, at least the chicago campus, loyola, however, is ranked pretty well and everyone has good things to say about it except its a little far from the city. however, it has a lot of clinical to offer since its in maywood. anyways, thanks a lot.

wow, thats amazing. what i would do to be in your position. I would love to go to loyola as well but i'm just hoping they interview me.

Could somebody reading this post tell me what we mean by "Loyola is ranked pretty high?" I didn't think that Loyola was in the top 50 for research/primary care. Am I wrong, or is there another ranking?

I also got accepted to Loyola, and it is my one and only acceptance so far. I loved the facilities, was a little turned off by the location, and not too wild about the cost.

Originally posted by karma4me
Could somebody reading this post tell me what we mean by "Loyola is ranked pretty high
Loyola has a strong following in the medical community.

You're right ....I don't think that usnews ranks them in the research category, but their reputation is very strong nonetheless. I think that's what the poster meant by that statement.

Other than Chicago or Northwestern, Loyola is the most highly regarded University in the Chicago area....which says a lot since Chicago has a lot of good schools! ;)

If anybody has some interesting info to tell me about Loyola vs. Rush please pm me...I luckily have to decide between the two as well.

I think loyola has a great curriculum in terms of schedule, clinical experience and overall reputation....does anyone think otherwise?

UIC is soooooo much less expensive. Here at Loyola, there are a lot of stuck up kids. They all have to dress nice and preppy and have money to do so with.