Loyola vs Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warick22

Ze Iceberg
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sort of in a questionable position at this moment... My situation is that I have already been accepted to Loyola and liked it during interview day. However, I recently received an II at SLU and I do not know much about this school. At this point in the cycle I have already spent quite a bit of money traveling for interviews. Therefore, spending a few more hundred dollars isn't something I am really excited to do. I know in the long run, if SLU would be a better match, a few hundred dollars really isn't that much. I was just wondering if some of you that have some experience with both or some knowledge (already interviewed at both, etc) could chime in to help me. I already did some searches and haven't found very good information. Thanks in advance.

Warick

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with Loyola, but I have interviewed at SLU twice, so I have a pretty good understanding of their school at this point.

First off- they're moving their curriculum towards 1.5 year pre-clinical system which many schools are moving towards. So you would take your Step 1's earlier, and have more time for elective clerkships before choosing residencies.

It's a Jesuit institution, so they're huge on working with the underserved, so if you're looking to get involved in that way, they have a lot of great opportunities for it. And Saint Louis has a very large underserved population, so the exposure to disease is going to be very broad.

The city of St. Louis itself has a small town yet urban feel. There's a lot of history and culture, food, huge craft beer scene, and occasional music festivals and concerts. It's also a big sports city, especially with the Rams and Cardinals. They also have a lot of parks and museums, and best of all, it is a very affordable city. There are some crime issues, but most students live in a college bubble of sorts, and commute with their car to SLU, so they don't really run into many problems.

The facilities itself are very nice, and I'm actually quite fond of the campus. They have a brand new research building, and their education building is also very new. Great simulation lab, and an entire standardized patient center with about 14 realistic examination rooms. On the other hand though, their hospital is nothing to write home about, and I've heard they're having a lot of financial concerns with it. It's kind of run down and cramped feeling, and US News doesn't rank them very high in many specialties. It'll get the job done though.

Overall, I think it's a great school with a lot of opportunities, and if I were you I would make the effort to go out there and see if it's right for you. The professors and students are phenomenal, and compared to many of the other school's I've interviewed at, seem to have the closest bond and connection.

I hope that was helpful.

I am sort of in a questionable position at this moment... My situation is that I have already been accepted to Loyola and liked it during interview day. However, I recently received an II at SLU and I do not know much about this school. At this point in the cycle I have already spent quite a bit of money traveling for interviews. Therefore, spending a few more hundred dollars isn't something I am really excited to do. I know in the long run, if SLU would be a better match, a few hundred dollars really isn't that much. I was just wondering if some of you that have some experience with both or some knowledge (already interviewed at both, etc) could chime in to help me. I already did some searches and haven't found very good information. Thanks in advance.

Warick

I interviewed (and was accepted at) SLU, and I can definitely say that it is worth the visit. I was very impressed, and I understand it has a good reputation....might even go as far as considering it a "well-hidden gem" for medical schools since it hides quite modestly in the midwest in the shadows of the "academic supercenter" WashU, and isn't too high on the rankings list (not that I think this matters), but also boasts great step1 scores, clinical opportunities and abundant clinical training, high student satisfaction/mental health and an excellent match list on top of all of that.

I haven't been to Loyola, but if you aren't 100% sold on Loyola, you owe it to yourself to at least go to the interview and see how you like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed (and was accepted at) SLU, and I can definitely say that it is worth the visit. I was very impressed, and I understand it has a good reputation....might even go as far as considering it a "well-hidden gem" for medical schools since it hides quite modestly in the midwest in the shadows of the "academic supercenter" WashU, and isn't too high on the rankings list (not that I think this matters), but also boasts great step1 scores, clinical opportunities and abundant clinical training, high student satisfaction/mental health and an excellent match list on top of all of that.

I haven't been to Loyola, but if you aren't 100% sold on Loyola, you owe it to yourself to at least go to the interview and see how you like it.

SLU was my first acceptance last year, so I might be a bit biased (j/k -- I'm not going there...) but I liked it. They were very nice and it had a good feel. Loyola took a pretty good hit on rankings this year, whereas SLU moved up a bit. I am not sure why this is (probably a fluke), but it's interesting nonetheless. If I were you, I'd probably stick with Loyola just because I like LUC more than SLU, but that's more of a personal preference. A friend who graduated from there last year (now OB/Gyn out in California) really liked LUC. I would say that what turned me off about SLU was probably the students' attitudes when I interviewed -- I felt like they were super nice but also had major doubts about their school. Statements were made along the lines of, "SLU is a really nice school, but we don't have the reputation of WashU or anything." No other school I interviewed at had students apologizing for their school like. I also was in an early interview group with a bunch of 35-40 MCATs, though, so maybe that's where those comments were coming from.... I dunno.

SLU was my first acceptance last year, so I might be a bit biased (j/k -- I'm not going there...) but I liked it. They were very nice and it had a good feel. Loyola took a pretty good hit on rankings this year, whereas SLU moved up a bit. I am not sure why this is (probably a fluke), but it's interesting nonetheless. If I were you, I'd probably stick with Loyola just because I like LUC more than SLU, but that's more of a personal preference. A friend who graduated from there last year (now OB/Gyn out in California) really liked LUC. I would say that what turned me off about SLU was probably the students' attitudes when I interviewed -- I felt like they were super nice but also had major doubts about their school. Statements were made along the lines of, "SLU is a really nice school, but we don't have the reputation of WashU or anything." No other school I interviewed at had students apologizing for their school like. I also was in an early interview group with a bunch of 35-40 MCATs, though, so maybe that's where those comments were coming from.... I dunno.
How did Loyola take a hit in the rankings? They are unranked in US News (and have been for a while, I believe), because they don't disclose some arbitrary info. However, they are generally known to be in the same exact spot as the other mid tier Chicago schools (UIC and Rush).

In the end OP, I would go to the interview, and just decide based on comfort level, and where you think you fit in best. Both are very good schools that will take you where every you go.

Saying your school doesn't have a rep like the top 10 school down the street doesn't mean you are doubting your school.. It means you understand that your school doesn't have the rep that the other school does and aren't ashamed to admit it. Most med schools don't have the rep WashU does.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

How did Loyola take a hit in the rankings? They are unranked in US News (and have been for a while, I believe), because they don't disclose some arbitrary info. However, they are generally known to be in the same exact spot as the other mid tier Chicago schools (UIC and Rush).

In the end OP, I would go to the interview, and just decide based on comfort level, and where you think you fit in best. Both are very good schools that will take you where every you go.

As of last year, they were #71 IIRC.

Saying your school doesn't have a rep like the top 10 school down the street doesn't mean you are doubting your school.. It means you understand that your school doesn't have the rep that the other school does and aren't ashamed to admit it. Most med schools don't have the rep WashU does.

It was a bit more sour than that. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Statements were made that it wouldn't be their first choice school, etc. I liked SLU, don't get me wrong, but there were some things about it that put it in my mind as second-rate option as an applicant. I feel like Stritch is a more-developed program.

It was a bit more sour than that. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Statements were made that it wouldn't be their first choice school, etc. I liked SLU, don't get me wrong, but there were some things about it that put it in my mind as second-rate option as an applicant. I feel like Stritch is a more-developed program.

Oh I see. Well I know a handful of M3s who say SLU wasn't their first choice but it's the only place they got in so I understand what you're saying. Somehow I think SLU has become a safety school for many top applicants. Perhaps they see it's close in proximity to WashU, decently ranked, and has relatively low stats so they figure "why not apply?"

Oh I see. Well I know a handful of M3s who say SLU wasn't their first choice but it's the only place they got in so I understand what you're saying. Somehow I think SLU has become a safety school for many top applicants. Perhaps they see it's close in proximity to WashU, decently ranked, and has relatively low stats so they figure "why not apply?"

That's fair. It's a fine mid-range school. And, admittedly, the school I am at wasn't my top choice, but I really felt it was better developed and it was many students' top choice. (Actually, a few students in my class turned down MY top choice to go here. :confused:) SLU students seemed to lack pride in their program, which should be a red flag to you as an interviewee. Sure, we acknowledge that we're not #1, but wherever you go, the students should have discovered things they love about their program that they had no idea existed there when they applied. There were some huge international programs and efforts here, for instance, that would have greatly interested me as an applicant; however, they weren't mentioned on the Admissions website for whatever reason (even under the global health track).

What is IIRC?

If I recall correctly. You can google these things. ;) It's really a skill you need to develop now if you haven't already. Resourcefulness is probably in the top 5 skills needed to get into med school (and even moreso to be successful).

Sometimes you just get a subconscious, bad feeling based on what people say and moreso how they say it and what it meant...I understand that for sure. I didn't get that feeling during my experience though.

Thank you for all of the information. It sounds like people who go to SLU really like it but, the people that interviewed there kind of got a weird vibe from the students.
One last question, which is probably geared towards people who are currently enrolled at either school. I plan to try and go out east for residency and I was wondering if any of the schools have a strong match out east (I did see that matching out west was discussed a little above).
Thanks!

Thank you for all of the information. It sounds like people who go to SLU really like it but, the people that interviewed there kind of got a weird vibe from the students.
One last question, which is probably geared towards people who are currently enrolled at either school. I plan to try and go out east for residency and I was wondering if any of the schools have a strong match out east (I did see that matching out west was discussed a little above).
Thanks!

I know that SLU has more than its fair share of California UGs and I'm sure that contributes to people matching out west from there. Anecdotally, I remember seeing last year's match list (SLUSOM posts it on the door of one of the student lounge areas) and was very surprised by the number of people matching NE (there were more than I would've guessed).

Thanks!

It sounds like people who go to SLU really like it but, the people that interviewed there kind of got a weird vibe from the students
12a2.jpg

Deja vu all up in dis biitch

I know that SLU has more than its fair share of California UGs and I'm sure that contributes to people matching out west from there. Anecdotally, I remember seeing last year's match list (SLUSOM posts it on the door of one of the student lounge areas) and was very surprised by the number of people matching NE (there were more than I would've guessed).

There're tons of California UGs in Loyola too.

Status
Not open for further replies.