Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Loyola vs. Toledo

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JayJay3916, May 11, 2008.

1. JayJay3916

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So this has been a very hard decision for me and any advice/comments would be much appreciated. Tuition wise toledo would be about 100K cheaper over 4 years. Any advice on which school is better?

2. JSB235

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where will you be happier. I know 100k is a lot of money, but four years is a long time, and in the end If you are going to be happier in a city like Chicago, then go to Chicago, but if you like the small time feel of Toledo then go for Toledo, either way you are going to have an MD after your name in four years

3. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That would be the deciding factor for me. 100K plus interest is HUGE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Loyola - as do pretty much all of the students here. HOWEVER, even knowing what I know about how happy I am here, and how great an education I am getting, and how much I love Chicago - I would choose any US MD school that was $100K cheaper over here if I had had the choice.

Face it - that is a TON of money.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JayJay3916

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    See at Toledo I would have to live at home...lol

6. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't mean to be silly here, but couldn't you not live at home and make the price difference 80K? Then you save 80K, and don't live at home...

7. Abilene85

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a Toledo-native and I don't live at home, but I might move back third year (when I'll be spending a ton of time in the hospital) to save some money. Just tell your parents that you feel you are old enough that you need to live on your own...or that you really need your own space for quiet study time...or blah blah some true/semi-true excuse to move out. There are a number of first and second years looking for roommates right now, and that would be around $400-500 a month, so really not that much.

Honestly, if your gut isn't cheering for Loyola strong enough to push any thoughts of loans out of your mind, I would go with the cheaper school. $100k is a LOT of money. Toledo is a great school, and if you get bored and want to go to Chicago, it makes for a nice weekend vacation.