Loyola (w/ money) vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTWheaton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I would appreciate your help. I can go to Pitt with no financial help or Loyola for $20K less/year. I have zero debt from undergrad and some savings, but money is still an important consideration. . .who likes being in debt? Anyway, I am tentatively interested in orthopedic surgery and may like to incorporate a decent amount of research in my career. I am drawn toward Pitt because it is a top-15 research school, so I know research opportunities and top physicians will abound. I also like their curriculum better than Loyola's. I think I would like Loyola and do great there, but Pitt does seem to be in a different league.

Pretty much, if all were even I would choose Pitt, but $20K/year saved at Loyola is pretty enticing...any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't necessarily think Pitt is in a "different league." Pitt is a top ranked school, but you should ultimately base your decision on location, finances, etc. If you like Pittsburgh as a city and you think you will honestly be happier at Pitt, id go there. Otherwise, id follow the $. I turned down one of my upper choice schools simply because it was around 50K more expensive. To me that's a lot of money, but then again, I have no savings and a mountain of debt...:(

Hey All, I would appreciate your help. I can go to Pitt with no financial help or Loyola for $20K less/year. I have zero debt from undergrad and some savings, but money is still an important consideration. . .who likes being in debt? Anyway, I am tentatively interested in orthopedic surgery and may like to incorporate a decent amount of research in my career. I am drawn toward Pitt because it is a top-15 research school, so I know research opportunities and top physicians will abound. I also like their curriculum better than Loyola's. I think I would like Loyola and do great there, but Pitt does seem to be in a different league.

Pretty much, if all were even I would choose Pitt, but $20K/year saved at Loyola is pretty enticing...any opinions?

I think Loyola is a wonderful place. Yet when weighing your interest in research as well as the fact you like their curriculum better I think Pitt makes the most sense. 80K with some additional interest (120K) should not make your decision in my opinion. The league issue is really immaterial. If you do well in medical school doors will open, irrespective of where you go, but maybe a few more after graduating from Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.