lpn? rn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpticDean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it take to become a LPN? After I am a LPN already how do I become a rn, what schooling do I have to take?

Members don't see this ad.

To become an lpn you can go to a vocationnal or trade school. Any prereqs they require they usually let you do concurrently while in the program. Most programs are about 9 months but never more than a year. To become an RN afterwardswill require another year of schooling at a university or community college. My advice to you would be to just go straight to RN because from my interactions with many nurses LPN do almost everything an RN does but gets paid a whole lot less. Also after the first year of the RN program you technically can take the test to be an LPN.

I went to LPN school before RN school and it was the best thing I ever did! I got a great head-start in the field, was able to work while in RN school, and already had a job(s) when I graduated RN school.

LPN school is down and dirty nursing. You are going to do every proceedure, and poke your nose into every specialty field in the hosptial and local community. The hands-on in my RN school was not even a close 2nd...heck a close 100th...to my LPN school training. We all graduated KNOWING how to nurse from having, well, done it for close to a year, 6 days a week. On the flip, there were many people I graduated RN school with that hadn't touched a real person to perform many of the "required" proceedures! My RN program seemed to be about "power" and "control" and "fear-tactics" --- where my LPN program was about what is was supposed to be about --- Nursing.

Just my $.02

Kat :D