"LSU Health pulls medical residents from Shreveport veterans hospital ICU"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Señor S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this?

But in a statement, OBVAMC Public Affairs Officer Shannon Arledge wrote, "The attending physician is responsible for patient care. The senior attending physician in our ICU has not changed and we have skilled nurse practitioners serving under the attending physician’s leadership."

Voorhies said his discussion with Dr. Lewis indicated there was a disagreement over the supervision of its residents at the veterans hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on 3 VAs I've worked at, the VA ICU would be step-down anywhere else. Probably a net win for the residents in term of their training.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know anything about this?

Just reading the title I can say this is a common occurrence. I know at Cleveland Clinic, PAs work side by side with residents and attendings prefer to work with them more than residents.

For training not to meet ACGME standards and residents pulled, it must have been absolute dog**** and residents must have complained. Overall, this is probably a net positive for those residents that now will have to be placed in proper ICU training facilities

Reactions: 1 user