LSU-New Orleans 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerncomfort

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We needed a thread in here! :)

5 months to go! Anyone else freaking a little bit about uprooting a fairly comfortable existence for this grand adventure? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

get ready to study like you never have.............................

Just checking in with my future classmates in the Class of 2009! My first year with you guys next year (2nd year curriculum), I will only be in couple of classes. I'm excited to meet you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
southerncomfort said:

5 months to go! Anyone else freaking a little bit about uprooting a fairly comfortable existence for this grand adventure? ;)

let the adventures begin...

southerncomfort said:

I've been accepted into LSU-NO and LSU-Shreveport. I'm leaning towards Shreveport, but New Orleans is still an option.

I'm living in New Orleans right now, one of the main reasons I plan on heading up north. Are you guys/girls worried about New Orleans / the health care system?

Jbienven said:
I'm living in New Orleans right now, one of the main reasons I plan on heading up north. Are you guys/girls worried about New Orleans / the health care system?

I checked the LSUHSC.edu site everyday and LSUHSC-NO is coming back strong! Shoot, it's coming back so strong that not only we're restoring old programs, but LSUHSC is starting new programs too! Just recently LSUHSC-NO approved a Doctorate program in Physical Therapy to start for Fall 2006!

MEB is almost operational and I just heard from my Residency Director (OMFS) that LSU NO SOM is definitely heading back to NO for Fall 2006.

I know nothing about Shreveport, but I've heard that it's nothing but farm land up there! I would stick around.

Yah-E said:
I checked the LSUHSC.edu site everyday and LSUHSC-NO is coming back strong! Shoot, it's coming back so strong that not only we're restoring old programs, but LSUHSC is starting new programs too! Just recently LSUHSC-NO approved a Doctorate program in Physical Therapy to start for Fall 2006!

MEB is almost operational and I just heard from my Residency Director (OMFS) that LSU NO SOM is definitely heading back to NO for Fall 2006.

I know nothing about Shreveport, but I've heard that it's nothing but farm land up there! I would stick around.

Well, after speaking with a couple physicians who are/were teaching/working at LSUHSC...I've decided to go to Shreveport. One said: "The program is way to fragmented, there isn't a cohesivness that there was before, and the crowning jewell (Big Charity) is gone. I wouldn't allow my kids to attend New Orleans, go to Shreveport."

Not to mention I'm living in New Orleans, and it sucks. Garbage comes once a week, there are still 4 way stops at major intersections...and its getting quite old. Not to mention, I already lost everything I own, and I can't risk losing it again (as small as those chances may be).

By the way, farmland doesn't bother me near as much as ubran sprawl and crime.

Jbienven said:
Not to mention I'm living in New Orleans, and it sucks. Garbage comes once a week, there are still 4 way stops at major intersections...and its getting quite old. Not to mention, I already lost everything I own, and I can't risk losing it again (as small as those chances may be).

Now don't get me all excited now with those beautiful things you've mentioned about NO! :laugh: Well, sounds like you've already made up your mind. Good luck to ya!

Since you're currently in NO, any suggestions on where to look or not to look for a place to rent? My good friend who's a ER PGY-1 lives in the Garden District, he suggested that I should look in that area. How's that area? Was it affected by Katrina? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Yah-E said:
Now don't get me all excited now with those beautiful things you've mentioned about NO! :laugh: Well, sounds like you've already made up your mind. Good luck to ya!

Since you're currently in NO, any suggestions on where to look or not to look for a place to rent? My good friend who's a ER PGY-1 lives in the Garden District, he suggested that I should look in that area. How's that area? Was it affected by Katrina? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

With 80% of the city flooded, there were very few areas NOT affected by Katrina. However, areas along the "crescent" of the river...Most areas south of historic St. Charles remained dry. Uptown, Garden District, French Quarter would be the 3 I suggest. Uptown is a quick 5 minute drive down Claiborne (when they get the traffic lights working again) to the medical school. Garden district and French Quarter are closer.

Rent is going to be higher than normal, due to the demand on the housing market. I haven't started looking for another place down here, so I don't know how terrible it really may be....but I know finding a new place in mid-december was a pain in the ass. Stay along the river, its the only semi-safe place in the city. (and I don't mean crime, I mean water). Personally, I've enjoyed living uptown, and the garden district isn't that much different...they kind of blend together, except the garden district seems to have (had) a higher crime rate.

Jbienven said:
With 80% of the city flooded, there were very few areas NOT affected by Katrina. However, areas along the "crescent" of the river...Most areas south of historic St. Charles remained dry. Uptown, Garden District, French Quarter would be the 3 I suggest. Uptown is a quick 5 minute drive down Claiborne (when they get the traffic lights working again) to the medical school. Garden district and French Quarter are closer.

Rent is going to be higher than normal, due to the demand on the housing market. I haven't started looking for another place down here, so I don't know how terrible it really may be....but I know finding a new place in mid-december was a pain in the ass. Stay along the river, its the only semi-safe place in the city. (and I don't mean crime, I mean water). Personally, I've enjoyed living uptown, and the garden district isn't that much different...they kind of blend together, except the garden district seems to have (had) a higher crime rate.

Nice, thanks for the run down. I hope I can find a place for a reasonable price! I'll probably make a trip out there in the beginning of May.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to take this time to extend a big welcome to the LSU-NO class of 2010! I believe everyone has made an excellent choice in choosing to attend LSU-NO. :thumbup: I am so motivated and ready to get this party started already!

Speaking to faulty and second year students, all eyes are on us! LSU will be implementing many programs that will directly affect our medical training. I hope everyone is ready to dive in headfirst! Due to Katrina, we will have many opportunities to help refine the Louisiana health care system past medical students didn't have. I am very optimistic and can't wait to see the wonderful people in our class! :)

Just received the email about Camp Tiger. I would love to do this! :D
Anyone else plan on participating?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Already signed up!

Just wondering if anyone has received any more information.

I received an email about housing, but that's been it. Perdido is one of our options, although we'd really like to buy or rent somewhere dog-friendly. The real estate situation is just crazy though!

Does anyone what the avg board score is at LSUNO?

I have my interview at LSU on monday. Does anyone have any specific advice for me or examples of questions that I might encounter? Thanks.

Just relax and be yourself! :) Cliche, yes, but it was really a pleasant afternoon and very relaxed. When I went, we started with a "state of things" discussion and were encouraged to ask questions. I had two interviews--one with a faculty member and one with Dr. Eubanks. Both were just as nice as can be! There are also upperclass students on the committee, so you may have a student interviewer. It was all open-file, so be prepared to talk about yourself--research, explain any deficiencies, why medicine, etc. The credit union is right across from Pennington, with lots of parking. There's also a nice little deli across the street that has great lunches.
Really--my biggest concern post-interview was that they would think I was some kind of doofus because I never stopped smiling. It really was that relaxed and nice! :D

Class of 2009 student here to tell you that y'all are going to have fun next year. School will be better for y'all then it was pre-katrina. All electronics being brought to 2006 standards, new seats with individual plugs for laptops at everyseat, wireless all over, new everything. email me [email protected] and I will send you the updates we get. Plenty of housing opportunities check out craigslist. have fun....the adventure is about to begin.

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and thought that it went very well. I just received a letter from the admissions committee stating that "at a recent meeting of the Admissions Committee, no final action was taken on you application" and that it will undergo a subsequent review. The letter also said that most people that are accepted go through a secondary review and that I most those people hear about their acceptance from Jan to June. Did anyone else receive a letter like this and does anyone know if it is a good or bad thing. It almost sounds like a euphemism for a waiting list. Any feedback is appreciated thanks.

sactown said:
I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and thought that it went very well. I just received a letter from the admissions committee stating that "at a recent meeting of the Admissions Committee, no final action was taken on you application" and that it will undergo a subsequent review. The letter also said that most people that are accepted go through a secondary review and that I most those people hear about their acceptance from Jan to June. Did anyone else receive a letter like this and does anyone know if it is a good or bad thing. It almost sounds like a euphemism for a waiting list. Any feedback is appreciated thanks.

it is not exactly a waiting list. your file was assigned to one of the people who interviewed you. that person can request to review your application at any future committee meeting. after the may 15th deadline, the committee will meet accept some, place others on a true waiting list, and the rest will be encouraged to reapply next year.
At my interview, Dr. Eubanks said that there was normally 200 people with no final action at the May meeting.
Hope this helps

Did he mentioned of those 200 how many are eventually accepted? I would imagine that its probably a small portion that late in the process. Thanks.

Hi everyone!!! I got word of my acceptance last week...I was just wondering for those of you who already have their packets when Orientation starts and whether the dorms are open for next year. Where is everyone going to live by the way?

sunkist said:
Hi everyone!!! I got word of my acceptance last week...I was just wondering for those of you who already have their packets when Orientation starts and whether the dorms are open for next year. Where is everyone going to live by the way?

"Registration and Orientation begin August 10th and 11th, 2006. Classes begin August 17, 2006"

The residence hall and Stanislaus Hall are supposed to be open. There is an application in the packet or you can get it online; mail it to the BR address instead of the NO one on the website.

I've applied for an apartment in the res hall, but now am strongly considering staying in Covington (own home) and commuting. We don't really want to invest money in purchasing on the southshore and rentals are just ridiculous. I don't know... :confused:

I have a quick question for you guys that have held acceptances at both N.O. and Shreveport.... why choose N.O. over Shreveport? I'd love to hear your reasons!

RubRoss LSU said:
I have a quick question for you guys that have held acceptances at both N.O. and Shreveport.... why choose N.O. over Shreveport? I'd love to hear your reasons!

Couldn't tell you, I chose Shreveport.

RubRoss LSU said:

With me it is a matter of the vibe I got while at the two schools and my deep love for the city of New Orleans. I have been evacuated since August and coming home to Shreveport just wouldn't be the same. Its so subjective but I felt more at home with the people from LSU-NO than Shrevport, I really didn't feel like I fit in at all with any of the students we had contact with in Shreveport and there was a fair amount of bashing and out-right lies about the status of LSU-NO and Tulane at Shreveport which really turned me off. You shouldn't feel like you have to diss another school to get me to go to yours, you should be able to sell your med school on its strength alone. My interviews were great at LSU-NO, really conversational and natural. Also, I'm kind of superstitious and on the plane ride home from Baton Rouge I was seated next to a proff from LSU-NO and we ended up having this amazing conversation and we had so many things in common it seemed like fate whispering in my ear "You really belong at LSU-NO". Anyway, I'm sure this won't be too much help as it is so subjective, the schools are really equal in terms of the quality of education you will get, its really a matter of which environment you think you will thrive in.

Just curious if anyone had some insight as to what we will be doing during the week of orientation.

Greetings fellow LSU New Orleans classmates, have any of you heard back from the school concerning the residence halls? I may just end up commuting from home like southercomfort.

BTW psipsina congratulations on your scholarship! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Aside: We should start a countdown to orientation. :)

Hey! Anyone else at the Orientation yesterday? I met a few people, and the current L1s were all very nice. It should be fun!
Anyone else staying on the boat for camp?

I second the countdown idea, Freelow!

14 Weeks to Orientation!! :D

(on the other hand, 14 Weeks to Get Financial Aid, Decide Where to Live, ... :eek: )

Jbienven said:
Well, after speaking with a couple physicians who are/were teaching/working at LSUHSC...I've decided to go to Shreveport. One said: "The program is way to fragmented, there isn't a cohesivness that there was before, and the crowning jewell (Big Charity) is gone. I wouldn't allow my kids to attend New Orleans, go to Shreveport."

Let me just say that if you speak to almost any physician, they will even tell you not to become physicians b/c their lives suck. New Orleans is coming back, slowly but surely with University Hospital slated to reopen in July and a level 1 trauma center at Elmwood reopened last week. Intersection signals are 90% up, and if garbage pick up determines where you get a medical education, then have fun in Shreveport!!!

LSU Medical Student, Class 2009

southerncomfort said:
Hey! Anyone else at the Orientation yesterday? I met a few people, and the current L1s were all very nice. It should be fun!
Anyone else staying on the boat for camp?

I second the countdown idea, Freelow!

14 Weeks to Orientation!! :D

(on the other hand, 14 Weeks to Get Financial Aid, Decide Where to Live, ... :eek: )

Hey,
I am a current L1 and was at that meeting. I have to say that some of us were impressed by y'alls attendance. Congrats and you will have a blast at Camp Tiger. Its an opportunity to help out the kids, but its also an opportunity to meet us and your incoming class mates and have a few wild parties during that week. I am currently living on the boat (writing this message from here!) and it should be alot of fun. If you have questions/concerns about anything (housing/school/etc) feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]). Good job on picking New Orleans. To all those who haven't chosen New Orleans for very petty reasons (i.e. garbage pick-up and four-way stop signs) then Shreveport will suit them well. For all those willing to deliver healthcare to people willing to rebuild our great city: YOU ANSWERED THE CALL---CONGRATULATIONS!

psipsina said:
With me it is a matter of the vibe I got while at the two schools and my deep love for the city of New Orleans. I have been evacuated since August and coming home to Shreveport just wouldn't be the same. Its so subjective but I felt more at home with the people from LSU-NO than Shrevport, I really didn't feel like I fit in at all with any of the students we had contact with in Shreveport and there was a fair amount of bashing and out-right lies about the status of LSU-NO and Tulane at Shreveport which really turned me off. You shouldn't feel like you have to diss another school to get me to go to yours, you should be able to sell your med school on its strength alone. My interviews were great at LSU-NO, really conversational and natural. Also, I'm kind of superstitious and on the plane ride home from Baton Rouge I was seated next to a proff from LSU-NO and we ended up having this amazing conversation and we had so many things in common it seemed like fate whispering in my ear "You really belong at LSU-NO". Anyway, I'm sure this won't be too much help as it is so subjective, the schools are really equal in terms of the quality of education you will get, its really a matter of which environment you think you will thrive in.

Good choice! Yeah, I was part of the group who reported Shreveport to New Orleans administration for telling outright lies about us and kicking us in the side when we WERE down! This has only made us stronger, and yet another kick to Shreveport!!!!

L1, New Orleans

NO_lives_on said:
Let me just say that if you speak to almost any physician, they will even tell you not to become physicians b/c their lives suck. New Orleans is coming back, slowly but surely with University Hospital slated to reopen in July and a level 1 trauma center at Elmwood reopened last week. Intersection signals are 90% up, and if garbage pick up determines where you get a medical education, then have fun in Shreveport!!!

LSU Medical Student, Class 2009

Talking to many physicians, and not having one of them telling me their lives suck...I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I don't know what intersections you're driving through...oh wait, you're not, you're living in Baton Rouge.

I will have fun, thanks!

NO_lives_on said:
Hey,
I am a current L1 and was at that meeting. I have to say that some of us were impressed by y'alls attendance. Congrats and you will have a blast at Camp Tiger. Its an opportunity to help out the kids, but its also an opportunity to meet us and your incoming class mates and have a few wild parties during that week. I am currently living on the boat (writing this message from here!) and it should be alot of fun. If you have questions/concerns about anything (housing/school/etc) feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]). Good job on picking New Orleans. To all those who haven't chosen New Orleans for very petty reasons (i.e. garbage pick-up and four-way stop signs) then Shreveport will suit them well. For all those willing to deliver healthcare to people willing to rebuild our great city: YOU ANSWERED THE CALL---CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey!
Since that meeting, I have told many people how impressed I was with your class. I was blown away by how friendly and supportive you all were, of each other and of us! (even applauding when you were shushed!) I can't wait till camp, and I'm really looking forward to August 10! :)

Oh, almost forgot...it's now 13 WEEKS TO GO!! :D

Thanks Southerncomfort for starting the countdown and keeping it up! I have been really busy studying because my school had to extend its spring session into the summer due to Katrina. :thumbdown:

Yes, they (Class of 2009) really impressed me also when they came to my school to clear up the rumors. Everyone of them was very helpful. It's amazing to see how outgoing, humble, and informative they were with all the obstacles they had to face. I really look forward to putting on that white coat. :laugh:

Shreveport students have to swipe their ID cards everyday for attendance :thumbdown: . Way to treat your medical students like adults Shreveport. Good luck on your USMLE.

See y'all at Camp Tiger!! :D

(Don't forget the "meeting" (=party) on the boat Sunday night :cool: )

Hey all, I'll be joining you this upcoming August. I interviewed the last week of March, and I just got my acceptance letter today in the mail! The very next thing I did was go to the post office to send in my deposit. Let's enjoy this summer and get ready to work our butts off!

Topa...my wife flew out there to the OC for a RN conference in Anaheim this AM......see ya in august...good luck. Congrats.

ToPa55 said:
Hey all, I'll be joining you this upcoming August. I interviewed the last week of March, and I just got my acceptance letter today in the mail! The very next thing I did was go to the post office to send in my deposit. Let's enjoy this summer and get ready to work our butts off!

ToPa55 said:

Welcome to the class ToPa!

Hello all my fellow classmates, I just recently got accepted and I'm still waiting on whatever packets they send you, but I have a quick question about laptops. I'm really looking into getting a tablet, but was just wondering, is there a specific brand (Dell/IBM) or type (PC/Mac) of laptop that we must get? or is getting a laptop even required? This would be good to know before I drop a G or two on a computer. Thanks.

ToPa55 said:
Hello all my fellow classmates, I just recently got accepted and I'm still waiting on whatever packets they send you, but I have a quick question about laptops. I'm really looking into getting a tablet, but was just wondering, is there a specific brand (Dell/IBM) or type (PC/Mac) of laptop that we must get? or is getting a laptop even required? This would be good to know before I drop a G or two on a computer. Thanks.

you have to buy the laptop from the school...

Hello! I, like ToPa received my acceptance letter last week (and interviewed last wk in March). I cannot tell you how excited I am to meet all of my fellow classmates - and there is nowhere else I'd rather go. Let me just tell you how disappointed I am to not have been able to participate in the Camp Tiger this year (due to my recent notification) - yall don't have too much fun without me.

Long time reader, first post.
A.S.

CONGRATULATIONS Topa55 & Nellinola on your recent acceptance!!! Welcome to the class. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! Look forward to seeing you guys in August. :) :thumbup:

bonesmd said:
you have to buy the laptop from the school...

Yah that seriously sucks . . . I had a horrible experience with gateway years ago and vowed never to give them my money again, and now here I am forced to buy a gateway. Earlier on in the process I joked with my husband that I might choose Tulane just so I could have my powerbook, but alas, I realized that a crummy laptop is a poor reason to chose a medschool, so I will suffer with my gateway. But still I was in the Mac store drooling just yesterday over my dream laptop. At least if forced to have a PC I would have bought a Sony or an Alienware, something a bit more stylish than a Gateway, if given the choice.

What happens to people that just bought a brand new spanking top of the line laptop a few months ago, before they knew that they were attending LSU?
This isn't me, I haven't bought a computer in like 4 years, just asking a hypothetical.

Does anyone know when we get our email addresses? I need to start lookin for potential roommates so being on the mass emailing list will probably be helpful.