LSU New Orleans Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdoc710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for those accepted and choosing New Orleans. See yall soon

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I don't know what year you are, but maybe you could answer some questions for me. What does the first year schedule look like (i.e.) how many hours are you in class a day)? What does the third and fourth year schedule look like. I've heard at most schools 3rd year is very hard and fourth year is more laid back with less time at the hospitals then third year. Is this true here too? I got accepted here, but I'm not sure if I'll be attending.

i've just been accepted as well, so i dont have any answers for u. I interviewed on 10/7/08 and got my letter on 10/20, was accepted to shreveport as well, but chose new orleans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I don't know what year you are, but maybe you could answer some questions for me. What does the first year schedule look like (i.e.) how many hours are you in class a day)? What does the third and fourth year schedule look like. I've heard at most schools 3rd year is very hard and fourth year is more laid back with less time at the hospitals then third year. Is this true here too? I got accepted here, but I'm not sure if I'll be attending.

Check out the medschool website...it has some pretty specific details concerning schedules, etc.

http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/student_affairs/curriculum.aspx

2008 course catalog:

http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/catalog/MedicineCatalog2008.pdf

I received my acceptance letter last week, the day before Thanksgiving and will be attending.

I was offered and accepted a spot in New Orleans as well.

How well does LSU-NO prepare students for Step I?

Was accepted a couple of weeks ago not 100% sure where I'm going yet though. Just got the "accepted range" letter from Tulane and still have some interviews to go.

Congrats guys
I am a current 3rd year.
Enjoy yourself before the hard work start. That being said the past 2.5 years have been great and I could not imagine being anywhere else.

I'm sure I'm going to get some biased answers on this thread, but what do y'all think the advantages/disadvantages LSU has over Tulane and vice versa. (other than tuition of course:cool:)

I'm sure I'm going to get some biased answers on this thread, but what do y'all think the advantages/disadvantages LSU has over Tulane and vice versa. (other than tuition of course:cool:)

allow me to chime in on this as well. I'm currently a 3rd year at LSU-NO.

First congrats to everyone who has been accepted; you'll truly enjoy yourselves, as much as can be expected.
for JTuble1386: The first year schedule consists of anatomy, HPD (embryology) and histology your first semester and biochem, neuro and physiology 2nd semester. obviously most of your time is spent in anatomy first semester with classes usually from 8-12 (gross labs will occasionally be 10-12)and HPD and SPM classes in the afternoon for an hour or 2 (gross lab is sometimes in the afternoon from 1-5).
Second semester is essentially classes 8-12 with occasional afternoon classes from 1-3 or so.

For step I, I felt pretty well prepared and used the 4 week break b/w 2nd and 3rd years to really study for Step 1 and I did pretty well on the exam.

and lastly I think that as a whole we (LSU students) are closer to our fellow classmates and have more fun than our Tulane counterparts. Rumors run rampant that Tulane students do not study as much as we do and while that may or may not be true, I do know that LSU seems to prepare us for clinicals (3rd and 4th year) much more so than Tulane does. I don't really know of any sure disadvantages though i'm sure there are some.

As a last remark, the first 2 years are the most miserable and enjoyable time of your life but once you past Step 1 it really is all downhill from there. I can honestly say I've thoroughly enjoyed 3rd year thus far.

Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have or PM me and i'll give you my email addy to answer your questions.

All run-ons/grammatical errors are intentional and well meant.

allow me to chime in on this as well. I'm currently a 3rd year at LSU-NO.

First congrats to everyone who has been accepted; you'll truly enjoy yourselves, as much as can be expected.
for JTuble1386: The first year schedule consists of anatomy, HPD (embryology) and histology your first semester and biochem, neuro and physiology 2nd semester. obviously most of your time is spent in anatomy first semester with classes usually from 8-12 (gross labs will occasionally be 10-12)and HPD and SPM classes in the afternoon for an hour or 2 (gross lab is sometimes in the afternoon from 1-5).
Second semester is essentially classes 8-12 with occasional afternoon classes from 1-3 or so.

For step I, I felt pretty well prepared and used the 4 week break b/w 2nd and 3rd years to really study for Step 1 and I did pretty well on the exam.

and lastly I think that as a whole we (LSU students) are closer to our fellow classmates and have more fun than our Tulane counterparts. Rumors run rampant that Tulane students do not study as much as we do and while that may or may not be true, I do know that LSU seems to prepare us for clinicals (3rd and 4th year) much more so than Tulane does. I don't really know of any sure disadvantages though i'm sure there are some.

As a last remark, the first 2 years are the most miserable and enjoyable time of your life but once you past Step 1 it really is all downhill from there. I can honestly say I've thoroughly enjoyed 3rd year thus far.

Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have or PM me and i'll give you my email addy to answer your questions.

All run-ons/grammatical errors are intentional and well meant.

Thanks for your insight. I'm still playing the waiting game on about another dozen or so schools so I'll have to see what my final options are.

Where do medical students at LSU-NO live? I have also been accepted there and looking for a placed to live. What are some apartment complexes where students live?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do medical students at LSU-NO live? I have also been accepted there and looking for a placed to live. What are some apartment complexes where students live?

There are a bunch of choices on where to live:

-On campus dorms/apts (I heard $500 a month next year?)--Good because on campus, convenient, cheap. Bad because you have to check-in guests, small, tough to get, etc.

-Downtown/warehouse district--probably the most expensive apts (1 br = $900-1300) you'll find besides St. Charles. I've heard the Saulet is decent. If you have some more bling in your system (and want to drink wine and cheese on your balcony at night instead of studying)...try the Cottonmill. If you find something in the area for less than $800, please let me know. The location is insane.

-Uptown--bigger apts/houses than warehouse dist. Prices vary much more. (nice 2br can go for like 1500 if you look hard enough). Units are a lot older too. Tough to find a decent place that hasn't been destroyed by undergrad Tulanians.

-UNO area...if you dont mind a longer commute, you can find amazing deals on houses to rent. A lot of people live out here...not bad at all.

Lakeview has houses and apt for rent and sale. its about a 10 minute ride in the AM...I have classmates that rent apt (like a flor of a house) for like $1400 and they are nice

In case anyone is looking for housing in the New Orleans area, I'm moving out of my place uptown/lower garden district so my brother-in-law is looking for a roommate. It's a beautiful place with hardwood floors and takes less than 10 minutes to get to the downtown area. I lived with him for my last three years of med school at LSU and he's an awesome roommate, perfect for a med student. There's also a park across the street and a coffee shop within walking distance down the street which is great for studying.

You would basically have the upstairs part of the house to yourself which includes a big bedroom, two closets, and a loft which can be converted into a study or anything else.

If you are interested, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call Chris at (504) 813-4098.

Hi everyone...hope all is well for you.
I was accepted to LSU and SIU. I am not sure where to go. I live in Illinois. It looks like LSU will be cheaper than SIU once i file for instate tuition come my second year..36 grand less overall. The downside of LSU are the boards...they dont count in illinois. Also unlike many students i will be bringing my new wife with me.
What do you guys think...where should i go? Are there any students at LSU COD that would be willing to talk with me?
Any opinions would be appreciated?
Thanks

Hello everyone,

I've been accepted to LSU-NO as well. I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be goin, and I'm pretty crumped about it.

Its my third year to apply... I got pretty tired of the whole application process, but it paid off.

As far as housing choices, I'll probably go somewhere in Metaire. I've gotten some advice to check the Residence Hall. I like some of the other apartments I've been looking at though, and I don't really want to live in the middle of downtown Big Easy.

Anyway, lookin forward to meetin everyone.

Fa shizzle

Hey everyone!

I choose LSU-NO too. Does anyone know if they're going to do camp tiger? I was considering it. I'll see y'all in August!

Are any of you guys debating over going to Tulane or LSU? I am thinking hard about the money differences and whether or not Tulane warrants the extra cash. Are any of you in the same situation?

Tulane is a name and significantly more expensive for that name.....some of the training sites are the same.

Are any of you guys debating over going to Tulane or LSU? I am thinking hard about the money differences and whether or not Tulane warrants the extra cash. Are any of you in the same situation?

does anyone know when the committee will meet to review past interviews? I already received two "further review" letters, maybe third times a charm!

congrats on the acceptances! Does anyone know if there is any movement on that waitlist? Thanks!:D:laugh:

Hey Y'all, I'm a current L2 at LSU-NO. I live in mid-city which is a great neighborhood and a very short drive to school. Its similar to uptown but without the rampant undergrad infestation.

I chose LSU over Tulane, and was a Tulane alum for undergrad. The education is virtually identical in pre-clin years. Some of our professors even wear both Tulane and lsu IDs and lecture at both schools. For 3rd and 4th year some of the rotation sites are the same too. When I interviewed at Tulane one of the professors recommended that I choose LSU if I was lucky enough to get in lol. Tulane's name has more recognition for lay-folks but LSU has a good reputation for preparing its students for internship. The two schools probably come out equally as far as education. There certainly isn't anything about Tulane to justify an extra 30k/year. Especially with the current economic situation, its REALLY nice not to have to worry about getting private loans and to have a much more manageable debt to pay off at the end.

Congrats - I look forward to seeing yall next year!

If anyone is looking for a place to live I have a 3BR 2BA apt uptown for rent. 1400/month. (It's the first floor of my house .I'm a 2nd year) Send me a pm for more info!

I just received a letter today. I got wait-listed:(.

I ask because I too am waiting to hear something back. I was told my file would be reviewed again may 5...why would they look after the waiting list is made? My interview was in November if that matters, but it should not.

I interviewed early this month and just received a letter saying that no decision has been made on my application. Did you receive something similar?

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to next year's class!

If you are looking for a place to live I have a 3 BR 2 BA apartment for rent uptown. It is is the first floor of my house (my roommates and I live upstaris and are medical students) and has a washer and dryer and fully furnished kitchen. It is a 15 minute drive to the med school and a short walk to Maple St and St. Charles Ave. Rent is 1400/month. Please send me a PM if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks!

I was told that there was an advocacy meeting tomorrow, may 5. Can anyone back me on that, and what does that mean?

I know that they are going to reevaluate applicants that are in limbo, but I am not sure what this means for the waitlist. Yes it is May 5th.

Last edited:
I also have been getting the "no decision has been made" letters since january. I just talked to the admissions office and they said that they are waiting until may 15th to make the final decisions...

I was told that letters would be mailed today or tomorrow, but I am not sure what they will say...I hope it says something more than "keep waiting!"

I was told that no letters are going out until after May 15th so that they can see how many slots they have to fill. Basically nothing seems to have changed. You may not want to wait by the mailbox. Bummer. :(

Hmmm....odd, Someone from their office returned an email to me on may6 about the letters.

Acceptance arrived today with the letter postmarked May 7th, so it seems likely they met on the 6th. Caught me off guard, was expecting the usual Friday meeting/Wednesday mailout. Also they sent it to my current address rather than my permanent address where the "No Decision" letters were mailed to. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Captionwaffle, Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

New Orleans, so anything mailed arrives the next day. I noticed your profile says Houma so that would easily add a day or so to delivery time.

OK this is a little nutty. Why would they lie to me? There is a conspiracy afoot. dunnn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnn:scared:

OK this is a little nutty. Why would they lie to me? There is a conspiracy afoot. dunnn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnn:scared:

Honestly, from my dealing with them, I've come to the conclusion that they either have no idea what's going on or the staff doesn't communicate well with each other :(

Hey yall!! :D I'll be a first year at LSU in a few months and I'm doing the prematriculation program. Also, i'm looking for a NICE, preferable renovated 2 or 3 bedroom 2 bath house or apartment somewhere relatively close to school and in a good neighborhood to move into in June or July!! send me a PM if you know of one thats available or have any advice regarding off campus living arrangments for LSUNO students. Can't wait to see everyone in August! let the misery/fun begin!! :eek:

They said that they will send letters out Tuesday or Wednesday.

yea I got the same email this time...Is this the waiting list? seems kinda late to make a list

yea I got the same email this time...Is this the waiting list? seems kinda late to make a list

When did they send this email out? I haven't heard anything from them in a long time