LSU New Orleans Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would start this thread since nobody else has. This will probably be an extremely slow thread, but it should still exist. We can talk about housing, class, loans, stocks, whatever.

McSexy - you'd better come and support this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha. I almost forgot that we talked about doing this!

Signed my lease at 930 Poydras a couple of days ago.

Oh, yeah. I think our 2nd e-packet should be coming sometime soon. Maybe early June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a good deal on the place? (maybe we talked about this? I don't remember). Living on St. Charles would be cool.

____

Has anyone else filled out the e-packet forms and sent them in? The only one I've sent it in has been the form for the laptop.

Did you get a good deal on the place? (maybe we talked about this? I don't remember). Living on St. Charles would be cool.

____

Has anyone else filled out the e-packet forms and sent them in? The only one I've sent it in has been the form for the laptop.

No, we didn't talk about this. It was $1500 for 2 people, so it will probably run close to $1000 when utilities and cable is factored in.

That reminds me, I need to fill that stuff out and send it in. Is the laptop thing due on June 1st?

No, we didn't talk about this. It was $1500 for 2 people, so it will probably run close to $1000 when utilities and cable is factored in.

That reminds me, I need to fill that stuff out and send it in. Is the laptop thing due on June 1st?

Still less than mine.

Not sure actually. It's either June 1 or something like June 30. I think it says it on the sheet.

Okay, it's June 30th.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will be the only ones posting on this thread. :laugh:

I'll join in... don't know where I am living yet, been looking at American Can and a couple of duplexes off of St. Charles. See you in August!

I'll join in too:D....I'll be living in one of the dorms, which is definitely not as exciting as St. Charles or 930 Poydras :p

I got a 2 bedroom apartment in the residence hall because there were no more single rooms left. If any females are looking for a roommate PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just looking at the info packet, and I'm getting a bit confused..hopefully someone here can help me out :)

1) Do any of you know which Blue Cross plan the $50,000 and the $250,000 plans are? The info packet just gave the link to the general Blue Cross page..but there's a lot of different coverage options on the website...(I'm trying to figure out what's covered under each plan option)

2) If we're buying the health insurance, do we fill out the Waiver form (authorize to purchase insurance part), the Optional Fees checklist, and the supplimental accident and sickness plan form? The third form seems to be just for buying the $250K plan. But then the third form is on that list of forms that have to be returned by July 16

3) Lastly, if we're not receiving any Title IV funds, which "box" are we supposed to check on the authorization for use of funds form?

Thanks in advance!!

This is the brochure, http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/organizations/campushealth/studenthealth/LSU_SHI_Brochure.pdf , it should have the general information abou deductibles, co-pays, etc.

If you don't plan on buying the 250k plan, I don't see the point in turning in the form. I don't plan on it.

Title iv funds includes stafford loans, so unless you aren't taking out any loans from the school the form matters a little. I suppose it doesn't matter if you even turn it in, but even if you did the option you check wouldn't matter since it tells them how you want your funds dispersed.

This is the brochure, http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/organizations/campushealth/studenthealth/LSU_SHI_Brochure.pdf , it should have the general information abou deductibles, co-pays, etc.

If you don't plan on buying the 250k plan, I don't see the point in turning in the form. I don't plan on it.

Title iv funds includes stafford loans, so unless you aren't taking out any loans from the school the form matters a little. I suppose it doesn't matter if you even turn it in, but even if you did the option you check wouldn't matter since it tells them how you want your funds dispersed.

Thanks Dr. McSexy! :)

Hey met,

Where on St. Charles do you live? I ended up backing out of moving into Poydras due to my financial oversight. But I got a nice place on Prytania st, not too far from Louisiana Ave. Just trying to see how close I am to you.

In other news, I'm glad that none of us had serious decisions to make regarding coming here. We still don't have any financial aid information, unless I missed something.

Hey met,

Where on St. Charles do you live? I ended up backing out of moving into Poydras due to my financial oversight. But I got a nice place on Prytania st, not too far from Louisiana Ave. Just trying to see how close I am to you.

In other news, I'm glad that none of us had serious decisions to make regarding coming here. We still don't have any financial aid information, unless I missed something.

That sounds pretty sweet - I'm near Napoleon

In case anyone's wondering, if you completed your financial aid file April 15, you should expect your financial aid check to be ready by august 25th.

I hope at some point they'll actually get some documents to us.

In case anyone's wondering, if you completed your financial aid file April 15, you should expect your financial aid check to be ready by august 25th.

I hope at some point they'll actually get some documents to us.

I hope that's true. Y'all got this email, right? This doesn't mean I have to do anything else to get the check, right?

We received your official Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) results, and you have completed any additional requirements related to your FAFSA results. Your application will now be placed in line for award processing based on the date the federal processor calculated your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Depending on application volume and seasonal variables, aid applicants generally receive an initial Financial Aid Notification (FAN) email within one to three months of the date FAFSA requirements are complete. You must return a signed copy of your FAN to accept your award.
Additional Requirements
All Federal student loan applicants must complete a Federal Direct Stafford loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Loan applicants who did not borrow Federal Stafford Loans at LSUHSC during the 2009-10 aid year must also complete online Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling. For loan applicants who borrowed Federal Stafford Loans at LSUHSC for the 2009-10 aid year, the counseling session is recommended but not required. Visit our LSUHSC aid applicant instructions, "How to Apply for Academic Year 2010-2011", accessible from the web address noted below, for links to meet these requirements online.
Federal PLUS is a more expensive loan typically utilized by a relatively small number of our Graduate/Professional students who are unable to reach their budget limits via the Federal Stafford loan (primarily those in the Nurse Anesthetist program), and by some parents of undergraduate students classified as Dependent on their FAFSA results. Requirements for PLUS applicants mirror those of Federal Stafford applicants, except that parent borrowers seeking PLUS are not required to complete the online counseling session.
Your loans will not be finalized, originated or disbursed until you have completed the applicable MPN and counseling requirements.
Please be attentive to any other application requirements, which we may convey via Missing Information Letter (MIL) email notifications, and by stipulations noted on your FAN email.
For aid applicant instructions and links visit:
http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/students/financialaid/apply_2010-2011.htm

Patrick J. Gorman

Yeah, I got that. I think you are good to go. That's all I did anyway.

In other news, actived my new lsuhsc account and e-mail tonight.

Yeah, I got that. I think you are good to go. That's all I did anyway.

In other news, actived my new lsuhsc account and e-mail tonight.

I did that last night, too. I also activated my LSU alumni email. Now I have too many emails.

I am really freaking out about this immunization stuff. I need to get my records from LSU Health Center, but they have to mail them. The physical and TB test are fine since I can just get those at an after hours clinic, but the titers are really making me worry. After hours said they can't write orders for the lab work for that and I need to see a PCP (but I don't have one and don't have much time to find one and make an appointment). Any suggestions?

Did you ever go to the LSU student health center? They have a policy in place where you are allowed a followup for free for recent graduates. You might can call and ask. They may take you anyway by charge a visit fee.

Or you can try the LSUHSC student health center. Even if you aren't a student yet, they may have a policy in place for incoming students. Maybe explain that you don't have a regular PCP and see if they can perform the physical and the lab work.

I'm with you though. I've really never have had a regular PCP. I'm just lucky I live in a small town with soca who are accepting new patients.

I have to get the Varicella vaccines. I apparently have never had chicken pox. I'm going to call the SHC and see if I can do it through them.

EDIT:
Now I see that you have been to the LSU health center. Like I mentioned, I would try this route first to see if they will see you and do the physical and order the lab work.

Last edited:
Okay, met,

How did you get your alumni e-mail? I released my info to them a long time ago, but I don't see how to sign up for the e-mail or anything.

Okay, met,

How did you get your alumni e-mail? I released my info to them a long time ago, but I don't see how to sign up for the e-mail or anything.

You have to email the alumni help desk because the website to register your email address isn't working right now (or at least it wasn't about a month ago). Give them some options for what you want your email to be and then they will let you know and give you your new address. Then you can go to Hotmail and start it up.

In case anyone is wondering, I e-mailed the finaid office to ask about our award letters and the response I got was this:

We will probably start processing priority 1st year student at the end of July. You will receive an award letter once processed to be signed and returned to request your funds.

Thanks,

Okay, took me a little while to figure this out and since LSU-NO doesn't seem to have much information on how to do it, I figured I'd post it here.

To set-up your LSUHSC e-mail so that you can access via your iphone (I'm also assuming that the same info would apply if you were to set it up on droid or crackberries):
1.) Create a new account and selection Microsoft Exchange
2.)
  • email: [email protected]
  • server: mail.lsuhsc.edu
  • domain: lsumc-master
  • username: username
  • password: password
  • SSL: ON
3.) You should be good to go.

Am I the only one freaking out about having all the immunization stuff in on time? :scared:

My pediatrician lost my medical records, so I couldn't do much about it until yesterday when I finally went over there with my mom's dates and got them to approve it and give me a legit document. I had the physical and TB test and will get all that signed off tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting for my varicella and VDRL titers to come back (did the bloodwork today). I'm worried that I'll be put on a registration hold if they don't come back before Wednesday.

Am I the only one freaking out about having all the immunization stuff in on time? :scared:

I went ahead and sent all of my forms even though I don't have the Varicella vaccines and I'm going to need them.

From the sounds of it, they aren't THAT stingy when it comes to the immunizations, esp. if you are getting the student health insurance. I heard that last year, several people waited until after the registration to get/start some of their immunizations because they had the student health insurance and were waiting for that to take effect.

And as long as you are in the process of getting your immunizations, it should be no biggie.

I don't think it should take that long to get your lab results, so I think you'll be okay.

I went ahead and sent all of my forms even though I don't have the Varicella vaccines and I'm going to need them.

From the sounds of it, they aren't THAT stingy when it comes to the immunizations, esp. if you are getting the student health insurance. I heard that last year, several people waited until after the registration to get/start some of their immunizations because they had the student health insurance and were waiting for that to take effect.

And as long as you are in the process of getting your immunizations, it should be no biggie.

I don't think it should take that long to get your lab results, so I think you'll be okay.

That was a quick response. :laugh:

I think I just needed someone to tell me that so I can chill a little. Plus, I have the documents from the lab showing that my bloodwork has been done and I'm just waiting for results.

I'll probably mail out the non-health stuff tomorrow. All that stuff needs to be sent to different places, doesn't it? :thumbdown:

I just happened to be on, lol. I didn't pay attention to when you posted it.

You can just send them all to the Admissions office and they'll take care of it. The address is on the website for the 2nd e-packet.

Tomorrow's the day I have to go and turn all my immunization forms in. I still need to get the stuff signed and I sure as hell hope my titer results came back today/tomorrow. Kind of nervous about getting everything in tomorrow.

Congrats Y'all!
I'm one of the L4's who will be helping to teach your SPM groups :)

Feel free to PM me here if you have any questions about LSU or medschool or NOLA.

If only they could send a financial aid letter. :rolleyes:

The 4th years just got theirs about a week ago so it will probably be a bit. Y'all are the last to get processed since your semester starts later. They are struggling this year because of the ramifications of the new financial aid bill. Apparently they had to change their entire mechanism for processing us. Last year this time I'd had my check for a week and I still have at least 2-3 weeks to wait this year. I would definitely make sure y'all come with enough $$ to get you through a few weeks of school with no check.

Anyone else feeling stressed out already? Not so much ab whats coming, but what's going... like your friends, hobbies, etc.

Anyone else feeling stressed out already? Not so much ab whats coming, but what's going... like your friends, hobbies, etc.

I know what you mean. I just finished a roadtrip with 2 of my best friends (they aren't doing medicine) and we were talking about how nothing is really going to be the same anymore. But I'm ready to start after I get my 2.5 weeks of rest.

Haven't gotten anything yet.

I'm having to borrow money from parents for next month's rent. I have credit card, so I'll be able to pay for my other bills with that.

Just got back from vacation. I'll be totally moved into New Orleans on Thurs.

Haven't gotten anything yet.

I'm having to borrow money from parents for next month's rent. I have credit card, so I'll be able to pay for my other bills with that.

Just got back from vacation. I'll be totally moved into New Orleans on Thurs.

I just got an email notifying me about the financial aid award. :D

Now I just have to actually get the check...

Has anyone not gotten one yet? I'll probably email fin aid on Monday if I don't hear anything. Else I'm assuming I'm going for free. :laugh:

Has anyone not gotten one yet? I'll probably email fin aid on Monday if I don't hear anything. Else I'm assuming I'm going for free. :laugh:

I haven't heard anything. I went today to get my ID and parking office but I was told at the parking office that "first years are not in the system yet."

out of curiosity, has anyone been contacted by their big buddy yet?