LSU New Orleans Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMaCIV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing to post my experiences and impressions of the OMFS residency at LSU New Orleans. I just finished up a two-week externship there and have to say that it was was the best externship I have done. I have gone to a few others and at LSU-NO I was able to be more hands on and see more things than any other program. I went to the OR pretty much every day and was allowed to scrub in for 90% of the cases. The 5th and 6th year residents were extremely helpful and encouraging. Besides the standard extern duties of retraction, irrigation and suction, they let me cut and close incisions as well as drill and screw during plate fixation. They were even going to let me insert a foley catheter, unfortunately the nurse got to it before I could (just kidding btw). If shucking teeth is more your goal, then you also have the choice to work in the outpatient clinic and do as much as you would like. I took call most nights and when mandible fractures came in, I was right there doing the CRMMF with the interns on call. I rounded on a patient most mornings and presented the patient to the chiefs and faculty. On the last day I went to Dr. Perenack's private practice where I observed multiple facial cosmetic surgery cases, including a chin implant, blepharoplasty, brow lift, and face lift.

All in all, I was expected to function like a red-shirt/intern and loved every minute of it. It is an extremely intense externship and do not go there expecting to get a lot of sleep. Do go there ready to work and get your hands dirty. I would recommend this externship to anybody who is seriously interested in doing OMFS and wants to see how one of the best programs in the country functions. Thanks again guys for the great time!

Please feel free to post or message me if you have any other questions about my experience, the types of cases I encountered, or anything else about the externship at LSU New Orleans.

Members don't see this ad.

I am writing to post my experiences and impressions of the OMFS residency at LSU New Orleans. I just finished up a two-week externship there and have to say that it was was the best externship I have done. I have gone to a few others and at LSU-NO I was able to be more hands on and see more things than any other program. I went to the OR pretty much every day and was allowed to scrub in for 90% of the cases. The 5th and 6th year residents were extremely helpful and encouraging. Besides the standard extern duties of retraction, irrigation and suction, they let me cut and close incisions as well as drill and screw during plate fixation. They were even going to let me insert a foley catheter, unfortunately the nurse got to it before I could (just kidding btw). If shucking teeth is more your goal, then you also have the choice to work in the outpatient clinic and do as much as you would like. I took call most nights and when mandible fractures came in, I was right there doing the CRMMF with the interns on call. I rounded on a patient most mornings and presented the patient to the chiefs and faculty. On the last day I went to Dr. Perenack's private practice where I observed multiple facial cosmetic surgery cases, including a chin implant, blepharoplasty, brow lift, and face lift.

All in all, I was expected to function like a red-shirt/intern and loved every minute of it. It is an extremely intense externship and do not go there expecting to get a lot of sleep. Do go there ready to work and get your hands dirty. I would recommend this externship to anybody who is seriously interested in doing OMFS and wants to see how one of the best programs in the country functions. Thanks again guys for the great time!

Please feel free to post or message me if you have any other questions about my experience, the types of cases I encountered, or anything else about the externship at LSU New Orleans.

:thumbup: Look forward to visting this amazing program in a few years :)