LSU-NO vs Drexel vs SUNY Downstate vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemd21

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm just lost. Have As to Wayne and LSU, and II to Drexel and SUNY (which could very well turn to Rs, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the taking time off work during a stressful month to even interview).

About me:
- Live in New Orleans, been here for the last 8 years so would get in state tuition at LSU
- Obsessed with New Orleans and the weather here BUT my family is all in Maryland and I would like to be closer/have more options for residency closer
- Unsure with specialty. Currently leaning EM, ID, IM, hospitalist, crit care, but that has HUGE likelihood to change
- Really want to work with diverse patients and am very interested in health equity (applying MD/MPH for this reason)
- Want to conduct research in my future career
- Really interested in early clinical exposure

Help please!!

Edit: Wanted to add that the wildcards are DC schools that I haven't even heard from yet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about any of the MD/MPH programs, and there’s no big prestige difference between these schools, but with IS tuition at LSU-NO, I would definitely recommend going there. It looks like it will be ~$30k/year cheaper (total of ~$175k+ cheaper after a decade of interest accumulates), which will make a massive difference to you after you graduate—especially if you do primary care. Going to an OOS or private school is not ideal for primary care. Take some of the extra money and fly out to MD once a month or something haha.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure about any of the MD/MPH programs, and there’s no big prestige difference between these schools, but with IS tuition at LSU-NO, I would definitely recommend going there. It looks like it will be ~$30k/year cheaper (total of ~$175k+ cheaper after a decade of interest accumulates), which will make a massive difference to you after you graduate—especially if you do primary care. Going to an OOS or private school is not ideal for primary care. Take some of the extra money and fly out to MD once a month or something haha.
Hm yeah, makes sense. I edited it and hope it’s a little clearer but I’m not interested in primary care at all. More critical care, working as a hospitalist/in the ICU. I just think I could become interested in more competitive specialties in the future!

edit: adding, that even with that said I’m sure it’s not impossible to match well from LSU

Hm yeah, makes sense. I edited it and hope it’s a little clearer but I’m not interested in primary care at all. More critical care, working as a hospitalist/in the ICU. I just think I could become interested in more competitive specialties in the future!

edit: adding, that even with that said I’m sure it’s not impossible to match well from LSU
Critical care/Hospitalist is still (usually) reached through an IM residency initially. IM and EM are some of the two least competitive specialties and you’d have no trouble matching into them from LSU (plus you wouldn’t be in crippling debt). I’m not sure what you mean by ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
Critical care/Hospitalist is still (usually) reached through an IM residency initially. IM and EM are some of the two least competitive specialties and you’d have no trouble matching into them from LSU (plus you wouldn’t be in crippling debt). I’m not sure what you mean by ID.
Infectious disease! And very true! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
From your two acceptances, would choose the state school. I am not as well versed with LSU but the residency match is very regional and it may be more difficult to make your way back up the east coast. DC school for you makes a lot of sense and the diversity of those populations are unmatched, so I hope you get an acceptance at one. Otherwise would suggest LSU, although not a research powerhouse for competitive specialties. Drexel also is more expensive, but can provide a well rounded experience in a big diverse class in a big city with diverse populations and would help you match NE residency with a big alumni network. Not sure which SUNY downstate vs stonybrook vs upstate ( stonybrook would be more research heavy than the rest). Also please do not turn down interviews-you earned them and then wait for financial aid! I would advise picking a Med school in a NE city for you.