LSU-NO vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsnap12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have acceptances at both and I am so torn between the schools. I am out of state so the cost difference isn't that significant. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

They're both in New Orleans, share the same teaching hospital, cost the same to you since you're OOS, and both unranked. Go with your gut feeling or where you think you'll be the most happy..even though they're basically in the same place/hospital

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in global medicine or have a primary care field in mind as one you'd like to go in, Tulane would be a slightly better fit due to their support structures for those. Other than that, it's all about what Syndicate said....what fit would make you happier/a better student-doctor? Is class scheduling important to you? What about earlier hands-on opportunities? Look at all the small pieces and see what makes the most sense to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same position... but here's some things to consider:

-Tulane is pass/fail the first 2 years, so it's not as competitive, and the vibe that I got was that all the students helped each other out rather than competing against each other for the top rank (obviously you still want to be higher ranked, but it's more of a I help you, you help me sort of thing)
-LSU is the main partner in the new hospital that's being built, so I believe they're more involved?
-you need to compare the academics to see which program you'd like to do better; Tulane has blocks while LSU is more integrated (I think; don't quote me on this)

Just like everyone else said, ultimately it comes down to where you'd be happiest as a student! I'm in a different situation in the sense that I'm in-state so the tuition thing is a huge factor for me...

Reactions: 1 users
I am fortunate to have acceptances at both and I am so torn between the schools. I am out of state so the cost difference isn't that significant. Any opinions?

Definitely Tulane. You will greatly appreciate Pass/Fail grading in the first 2 years when you can study the material for boards (USMLE Step 1) and still pass your classes, rather than study the ridiculous minutiae that some professor thinks you should memorize for a grade.

Reactions: 1 user
They're both in New Orleans, share the same teaching hospital, cost the same to you since you're OOS, and both unranked. Go with your gut feeling or where you think you'll be the most happy..even though they're basically in the same place/hospital

Even if one was ranked, placement on USWNR is not a good factor to use when deciding between schools.