LSU-Shreveport Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cajunchrisbu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am just trying to see who else out there has reserved their spot in the class of 2013!!!

Geaux Tigers

Members don't see this ad.

c'mon guys....

I know there has to be more people out there that have been accepted for class of 2013!

(i know about 80 of you have looked...you know you want to say something haha)

Talk....discuss...

Last edited:
there doesn't seem to be many people from louisiana on this site...

i got my acceptance at LSU-S recently and i'm almost willing to pack up and move to shreveport right now (if only i didn't have to finish up my last semester of classes in florida...)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yea I know what you mean! I already have my apartment deposit paid. I can't wait.

class of 2013!

I know a few of the people who have been accepted, I went to high school with at least one, and another is one of my good friends here at Baylor. When did you interview?

I interviewed on Jan 6th but it took a while for the letter to get to me here in florida. I'm from new orleans, so I don't have too much familiarity with the Shreveport area, but I definitely liked LSU-S a lot more than NO.

I plan on being at LSUS in the fall too. Interviewed in mid-September and got accepted a week later, so I've been waiting around for a while, haha. Though, I haven't gone so far as getting an apartment yet. Should I start on that now?

I plan on being at LSUS in the fall too. Interviewed in mid-September and got accepted a week later, so I've been waiting around for a while, haha. Though, I haven't gone so far as getting an apartment yet. Should I start on that now?

haha i don't know I was just so excited I went looking the weekend after getting my letter!!

I'm so ready to get out of Waco Tx

Yea it took me about a week to find out too, I interviewed on Jan 27th

I'll be a 4th year next year...

I was in college in New Orleans, and picked between Shreveport / New Orleans. Granted, I was the first class after Katrina....I still think you all made a good choice.

Our board scores have gotten progressively better (my class average was 227), and there is plenty of free time through out the 4 years, so your life won't suck.

Shreveport's not a horrible place to live...little to zero crime, low cost of living, and very little traffic.

Good luck to everyone, and congrats.

Another current student here. I'll be graduating in May. JBienvenu is right on the money and you'll definitely enjoy your experience here. I am pretty far removed from 1st year, but please email me with any questions you might have regarding the school/studying/where to go out/whatever. And congrats!

I just got my letter about a month ago, looking forward to it... Where are y'all looking to live.

I looked at millicent crossing, it looks pretty good so I think I'm going to go there.

What about you?

I'm a 3rd year up here at LSUHSC-S. As far as housing goes, there are a bunch of good places around the area of Millicent. I personally lived in Towne Oaks South which is behind the Dairy Queen very close to Millicent. I had a really good experience there. Most people at Millicent Crossing had pretty good experiences also, but the apartments and kitchens especially were a little nicer at Towne Oaks South comparatively. Many people end up living in apts for a year or so, then find people to share a house with because you can rent or buy houses for fairly cheap. If any of you need more specifics or advice, feel free to email me at [email protected] . Good luck to y'all.:thumbup:

I was thinking there or champion lake. I am just not sure what's in my budget. Whats the rent and grounds like at Millicent crossings?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking there or champion lake. I am just not sure what's in my budget. Whats the rent and grounds like at Millicent crossings?

The rent is around $600 for a one bedroom (kind of high i think) but still not ridiculous. The apartment its self is nice and the grounds are nice too. There are two other apartments right next to it, Raintree and brandywine which are about the same price.

I also looked at the one futuremd was taking about and it is really nice too. The are all good size which is nice since I am going to be bringing my dog.

Yea for sure the budget issue here too, I don't want to break the bank on housing!

congrats on the acceptances! Does anyone know if there is any movement on that waitlist? Thanks!:D:laugh:

Congrats guys! I've really enjoyed being in Shreveport and hopefully y'all will too.

Can you give us some highlights to look forward to in Shreveport

This is a response that I gave in a PM regarding housing suggestions if you are looking to rent a house near school. Figured that I'd just put it on here since someone else will likely have a similar issue:

Most of us recommend to go driving around the neighborhoods directly east of I-49 and preferably south of Kings Hwy. The neighborhoods are known as South Highlands and Broadmoor. These neighborhoods will usually have houses and duplexes for rent or sale. You could also pay and go to RentMax (not sure if that's the name) on Kings Hwy for a listing of rent houses. You can also go to Captain Shreve neighborhood which is off of Kings Hwy east of Youree Drive. These places are all within 5-10 minutes from school and tend to be good locations for med students.

Personally, I live in Highlands which is east of I-49 but north of Kings Hwy. It is a little more hit or miss. The neighborhood is dependent on which block you're on. The one that I live on is good with mostly families, but if you go a couple blocks down, it gets sort of rough. This causes the housing prices to be less, and you just have to do your research on which block to live on if you choose this option.

Hope this gives you a good start. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.

Hey, congratulations to those of you who are starting at LSUHSC-S in August. I graduated in 2005 and am moving to Shreveport in July to start my first post-residency job (I have eight weeks left of my Emergency Medicine residency). I'm going to be working at Willis Knighton.

PM me if you have any questions about Shreveport or the area.

For those of you looking for one of the best neighborhoods to live, hope you'll consider Broadmoor. Extremely convenient to LSUHSC-S. Please see my attachment.

Good luck in Shreveport.

Many Cheers,

Laurie Oliphint

Attachments

• Fantastic Broadmoor Home.doc
    341 KB · Views: 232
Hey. I'm going to be in Shreveport on July 1st to start my first real, honest-to-gosh, big-time attending job. I'm from the area, too so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Panda Bear, MD
LSUHSC-S 2005

Does anyone know what to expect for orientation?

Does anyone know what to expect for orientation?

Last year's schedule =

L01 Monday, August 4 8:00-9:00 am Welcome & Introduction to the
Medical School Curriculum Chesson
L02 Monday, August 4 9:00-9:30 am Faculty - Student Dinner, Spouses Alliance & Maps Desha
L03 Monday, August 4 9:30-11:30 am Student Affairs Platt
L04 Monday, August 4 11:30 am -12:00 pm OSHA McGaha
L05 Tuesday, August 5 8:00-9:00 am Module I Curriculum Aamodt
L06 Tuesday, August 5 9:30-10:00 Introduction to Anatomy Beal
L07 Tuesday, August 5 10:15– 11:30 am Module III Curriculum Lowery-Nordberg/
Eggerstedt
L08 Tues.-Thurs.
Aug. 5- Aug. 7 1:00-5:00 pm CPR Training
(See group schedule for assigned time) Soderstrom
L09 Tues.-Thurs.
Aug. 5- Aug. 7 1:00-2:30 pm
2:30-4:00 Library Session
(See group schedule for assigned time) Timm
L10 Tues.-Thurs.
Aug. 5- Aug. 7 1:00-2:30 pm
2:30-4:00 Facilitated Learning Groups
(See group schedule for assigned time)
L11 Wednesday, August 6 8:00-10:30 am Lifestyle Survival Kit for Medical School
Chesson/Wissing
L12 Wednesday, August 6 10:45-11:45am The Doctor Panel
L13 Thursday, August 7 8:00-9:00 am Case Based Learning Gage-White
L14 Thursday, August 7 9:00-9:30 am Module I Small Group Meetings
L15 Thursday, August 7 9:45-11:45 am Personality Profile Ware/Phifer
L16 Friday, August 8 9:00-10:00 am Practice Quiz Aamodt
L17 Friday, August 8 10:00-10:45 am Mental Health White
L18 Friday, August 8 10:45-11:45 am Medical School – What have I gotten myself into? Flynn
L19 Friday, August 8 12:00-1:15 pm Organization Expo
L20 Friday, August 8 1:15-1:30 pm Review & Wrap Up Desha/Rinaudo/
Murphy
L21 Friday, August 8 1:30 PM The Real World of Med School

There's also various lunches including one with the 2nd year student you are paired with. There will be optional social activities during the weeknights. Also it will probably be recommended that you "dress up" - dress shirt and tie (and equivalent for females) for the first day (unless you go and get your ID and yearbook picture beforehand) and dress nicely (without tie) for the rest of the week. You should also get your laptops/e-mail/etc. on the first day, I believe.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Shreevport sucks. NOLA is far supreme

Useful comment. Learn how to spell before you comment on the superiority of your school.:rolleyes:

are we still getting the macs?

Y'all should be. I'm a fourth year at Shreve, and I'm pretty sure y'all will get new macs this year just like last year. Dr. Platt, who's been handling a good bit of the computer stuff, is a huge fan of Apple, so I'm pretty sure y'all will have them. Gotta say, I'm pretty jealous, especially since my IBM is now 3 years old;)

anyone know which mac or what comes on it?...I am moving up july 17 in to millicent crossing apts. Looking forward to meeting everyone!