LSU-Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PartyROC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friend from dental school has been ranting about LSU-Shreveport and how excited he is to extern there and apply in a year...but I had actually never heard of the program (didn't know there were two omfs programs in LA...heard only good things about LSU-NO...but nada about LSU-S)

I searched the forum here and found that it is well documented on this forum for the past decade that Shreveport is a great place to extern, but I was wondering how the residency program was?

Is it well balanced...or does it tend to focus on dental-alveolar vs trauma vs cancer or what have you?

Are there any past/current residents, externs, or people who interviewed who wouldn't mind very briefly hitting on the strengths and weak areas of this program?

For example, I noticed it had no attached dental school...does this present as a boon or bane as an omfs resident? (Ie less implants...or maybe more)

I also saw that two of the attendings/chairs offered accredited fellowships...again is this good for the residents (assuming they don't have an interest in either fellowship)?

Feel free to respond here, in the stickied overview, or pm for me to relay to my buddy

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Shreveport is a well-rounded program, and their focus is major surgery (rather than outpatient surgery). I think they run pretty much the entire scope of OMFS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably also worth noting, they do the least amount of medical school of any 6yr i'm familiar with (jump in if there's a program I am missing)

And, they do 43 months of omfs which is more than any 4 or 6 year program i believe

They also have two accredited fellowships attached to the program

These guys come out as legitimate omfs juggernauts

Reactions: 1 user
It's an excellent program. Their scope is broad but not full. Their residents do not seem malignant and know the value of hard work. I am uncertain as to how tone between resident and attending interactions tho.

Worth an externship and worth even more being a part of

Did some time in Shreveport. Those guys are machines. My legs hurt from running around and standing in the operating room with those peeps!!

Strong faculty. Great residents. Broad scope. Another strong program of the south.