LSU-Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObeG

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the contact info for the OMFS program at LSU Shreveport? It says the OMFS wesite is "Coming soon" I would like to do an externship there this summer...
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would be careful about going there. The things the residents make the externs do in the call room at night are legendary. And there's this one redneck 3rd-year resident from Tennessee with only 7 teeth.....scary....

toofache32 said:
I would be careful about going there. The things the residents make the externs do in the call room at night are legendary. And there's this one redneck 3rd-year resident from Tennessee with only 7 teeth.....scary....

Im from the south...so I can handle gaped tooth rednecks.
wow extern hazing...makes me fee like im back in undergrad! bring it on! haha :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ObeG said:
wow extern hazing...makes me fee like im back in undergrad! bring it on! haha :laugh:
I'm sure it's still better than Parkland. I heard those guys are the meanest motherscratchers around.

toofache32 said:
I'm sure it's still better than Parkland. I heard those guys are the meanest motherscratchers around.

both sodomize their externs... sniffle, sniffle. :( But shreveport doesn't give any fourplay... :thumbdown:

toofache32 said:

Yeah, I heard that Christopher Price is the only one there who is nice. Word on the street is that he bakes cupcakes for the interns and does their dictations for them.

CrispRice said:
Yeah, I heard that Christopher Price is the only one there who is nice. Word on the street is that he bakes cupcakes for the interns and does their dictations for them.

forget foreplay....the real question is....do they cuddle???
:love:

ObeG said:

rednecks are one thing... but can you handle a granola-munchin', Birkenstock wearing, dread-hedded Dead Head from the Pacific Northwest. I'm coming full-force with an Anti-Bush pin, a new recycling campaign for the hospital cafeteria, and a pledge to ride my bike to work. And there will be none of this "extern hazing," instead we will go down to the Starbucks, order a double-tall mocha-frappo-whippy-dipty-doo and talk about our feelings for a kinder, gentler, more user friendly future of the specialty...

Seriously though... I start at Shreveport this summer and will be getting a house this spring break. If I can be of help as far as housing/travel goes, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Keep in touch,
Nate

Swamp Yankee said:
rednecks are one thing... but can you handle a granola-munchin', Birkenstock wearing, dread-hedded Dead Head from the Pacific Northwest. I'm coming full-force with an Anti-Bush pin, a new recycling campaign for the hospital cafeteria, and a pledge to ride my bike to work. And there will be none of this "extern hazing," instead we will go down to the Starbucks, order a double-tall mocha-frappo-whippy-dipty-doo and talk about our feelings for a kinder, gentler, more user friendly future of the specialty...

Seriously though... I start at Shreveport this summer and will be getting a house this spring break. If I can be of help as far as housing/travel goes, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Keep in touch,
Nate

sweet! sounds like a kick a$$ place to me
;) I love hippies, birkenstocks, granola and coffee! Man, I can't wait!!! :love:

GatorDMD said:
both sodomize their externs... sniffle, sniffle. :( But shreveport doesn't give any fourplay... :thumbdown:
What do you call that donkey-punch that I gave you...unbelieveable. You try to make someone feel special and this is how he repays you...

Swamp Yankee said:

Keep in touch,
Nate
When are you coming? Would you like me to wash the sheets?

Swamp Yankee said:

Keep in touch,
Nate

I think I'm nautious....with an elevated BP....

does user friendly future entail you are more disponable to being hazed/worked? That is what I would call a user friendly future of the specialty... specifically your future in the specialty...

esclavo said:
I think I'm nautious....with an elevated BP....

does user friendly future entail you are more disponable to being hazed/worked? That is what I would call a user friendly future of the specialty... specifically your future in the specialty...

should i bring my own paddle? Do you prefer the one that says "FAH-Q" or the "Sole Pole"???? "allright allright....party at the moon tower..."

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok fine, if you actually want to know the answer to your question it is:

G.E. Ghali DDS MD
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Dept.
LSUHSC -shreveport
1501 kings hwy
Shreveport, LA 71103

318-675-6101

I'm almost like 100 percent right about the above, but call the number first, a secretary named jena (with an incredibly strong southern accent), will answer (you'll never meet a nicer person) and just tell her when you want to come so she can pen you down because sometimes our extern list fills and we only take like max 2 at a time. We just max out our externs. We don't ***** them out to the clinic like toof does at parkland. :)

Oh, and toof, that 3rd year toothless wonder is actually from arkansas, not tennessee. You're just confusing all the people who went to memphis for dental school with toothless people. :)

OMFSCardsFan said:
What do you call that donkey-punch that I gave you...unbelieveable. You try to make someone feel special and this is how he repays you...
Donkey punch? I thought it was a Cleveland Steamer....

north2southOMFS said:
Oh, and toof, that 3rd year toothless wonder is actually from arkansas, not tennessee. You're just confusing all the people who went to memphis for dental school with toothless people. :)
Arkansas....Tennessee....same difference. Ya know how we know that the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas? Because anywhere else it would have been a teethbrush.

toofache32 said:
Donkey punch? I thought it was a Cleveland Steamer....
Unfortunately, the b*stard was a prude...

north2southOMFS said:
Ok fine, if you actually want to know the answer to your question it is:

G.E. Ghali DDS MD
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Dept.
LSUHSC -shreveport
1501 kings hwy
Shreveport, LA 71103

318-675-6101
I already gave him the info...he's coming in August/September.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to work with N2S instead of me when you're here. The bad news is that he shucks teeth like a girl (uses periotomes, sections single-rooted teeth, says "eeeewww" when he taps an abscess). The good news is that you'll learn to handle lots of complications...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I already gave him the info...he's coming in August/September.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to work with N2S instead of me when you're here. The bad news is that he shucks teeth like a girl (uses periotomes, sections single-rooted teeth, says "eeeewww" when he taps an abscess). The good news is that you'll learn to handle lots of complications...

Make sure he comes during trauma month. Makes it more worth the trip!

esclavo said:
Make sure he comes during trauma month. Makes it more worth the trip!
so trauma month is september. Hopefully I'll get a week...
"trauma month" does that mean no face call??

I was an intern at Parkland, and there were many nights I would wonder into the call room and have the oppurtunity to cuddle with toofache. However, thank god, there was a bunk bed.... and i just got to sleep on the "frumpy" upper bunk mattress....just another way to make the interns lives miserable. While i dont exactly miss Parkland, i can say that Dallas is a very fun city with tons of **** to do. And Memphis is, well..........Memphis.

Thanks for the help though Fayette with all of the Memphis info, it helped. Tell Brian to lay off the cream in his coffee, that guys lactose intolerance scarred me for life.

ihateteeth said:
I was an intern at Parkland, and there were many nights I would wonder into the call room and have the oppurtunity to cuddle with toofache. However, thank god, there was a bunk bed.... and i just got to sleep on the "frumpy" upper bunk mattress....just another way to make the interns lives miserable. While i dont exactly miss Parkland, i can say that Dallas is a very fun city with tons of **** to do. And Memphis is, well..........Memphis.

Thanks for the help though Fayette with all of the Memphis info, it helped. Tell Brian to lay off the cream in his coffee, that guys lactose intolerance scarred me for life.

nothing like the lumpy top bunk at parkland :D Congrats on Memphis man! i am sure Extraction will miss you!

ihateteeth said:
I was an intern at Parkland, and there were many nights I would wonder into the call room and have the oppurtunity to cuddle with toofache. However, thank god, there was a bunk bed.... and i just got to sleep on the "frumpy" upper bunk mattress....
I purposely made the other mattress frumpy so you would cuddle with me, but I guess it didn't work.

Let me know how things are going for you these days. Email me at [email protected] where my first and last names are all one word.

ihateteeth said:

Yeah man, congrats on Memphis! Be sure to rag on the newbie Mormon from Maryland :smuggrin: ...

ObeG said:
so trauma month is september. Hopefully I'll get a week...
"trauma month" does that mean no face call??
"Trauma month" means the same as being on face call. During trauma, we take everything head and neck with the exception of isolated nasal fractures, which go to ENT. Off trauma, we only get isolated mandible fractures and odontogenic infections. We won't really expect you to know anything, but if you figure out how to suture and do I&Ds, you'll make a good first impression for yourself.

OMFSCardsFan said:
"Trauma month" means the same as being on face call. During trauma, we take everything head and neck with the exception of isolated nasal fractures, which go to ENT. Off trauma, we only get isolated mandible fractures and odontogenic infections. We won't really expect you to know anything, but if you figure out how to suture and do I&Ds, you'll make a good first impression for yourself.

would you recommend coming for 2 weeks during a full trauma month? instead of just one week of trauma?

OMFSCardsFan said:

that's more than i know how to do.

ObeG said:
would you recommend coming for 2 weeks during a full trauma month? instead of just one week of trauma?
Definitely...if you can swing it. There is more of an opportunity to get your hands dirty on more than daily clinic activity during a trauma month. I figure if you didn't want to touch patients, you'd be interested in ortho. =)

Swamp Yankee said:
that's more than i know how to do.
Yeah, I know...that's why you were our 14th choice in the MATCH...boy did we get screwed...ObeG, maybe we'll be able to swap you out with Swamp if you do a good job while you're here.

to a clueless pre-dent would you mind answering the following question:

what is so special about shreveport? after all, people need implants, extractions, and removal of salivary gland calculi regardless of where they lived. so you'd expect shreveport to deal with the same procedures that parkland and st. luke's deal with. however, shreveport gets the lime light. am i, a clueless predent, missin somethin here? please enlighten me.

thanks guys

fightingspirit said:
to a clueless pre-dent would you mind answering the following question:

what is so special about shreveport? after all, people need implants, extractions, and removal of salivary gland calculi regardless of where they lived. so you'd expect shreveport to deal with the same procedures that parkland and st. luke's deal with. however, shreveport gets the lime light. am i, a clueless predent, missin somethin here? please enlighten me.

This is actually a great question. All training programs are different because they have different:

1) Patient populations: Some programs are in private hospitals (Mayo) where they do more expensive, non-insured procedures like implants & cosmetic surgery. Other programs are based in county hospitals (Shreveport) where none of the patients have funding....these patients need lots of extractions and repair of their facial fractures from always getting their asses kicked while gang-banging. Trauma is one of the best ways to learn to operate (in my opinion) because every case is different and they're already f'ed up. I would beware of the programs without much exposure to trauma.
Also, some programs are hospital-based and others are dental school-based (many have both). You can theoretically get exposed to a wider variety of patient with more types of hospitals (VA hospitals, Children's hospitals, private hospitals, county hospitals, etc) although there are some "all-in-one" hospitals where you may see everything.

2) Faculty interests: You're training will only be as good as your faculty. There are some places where the faculty just aren't interested in stuff outside the mouth for some reason. You can't do cases if you don't have faculty to cover you. And those patients will just get referred to other places. On the other hand, some programs have faculty that like to do anything and everything (Shreveport).

3) Competing specialties: ENT & Plastic surgery are competitors in the academic world, but less so out in private practice. Many places have a strong ENT or Plastics program which may have the tendency to overshadow the other 2 departments. To a certain extent, this is political and also goes back to the faculty....you're only as strong as your faculty. On the other hand, the OMFS department in Shreveport (and other places) doesn't step aside for anyone and doesn't let anyone walk over them.

toofache32 said:
This is actually a great question. All training programs are different because they have different:

1) Patient populations: Some programs are in private hospitals (Mayo) where they do more expensive, non-insured procedures like implants & cosmetic surgery. Other programs are based in county hospitals (Shreveport) where none of the patients have funding....these patients need lots of extractions and repair of their facial fractures from always getting their asses kicked while gang-banging. Trauma is one of the best ways to learn to operate (in my opinion) because every case is different and they're already f'ed up. I would beware of the programs without much exposure to trauma.
Also, some programs are hospital-based and others are dental school-based (many have both). You can theoretically get exposed to a wider variety of patient with more types of hospitals (VA hospitals, Children's hospitals, private hospitals, county hospitals, etc) although there are some "all-in-one" hospitals where you may see everything.

2) Faculty interests: You're training will only be as good as your faculty. There are some places where the faculty just aren't interested in stuff outside the mouth for some reason. You can't do cases if you don't have faculty to cover you. And those patients will just get referred to other places. On the other hand, some programs have faculty that like to do anything and everything (Shreveport).

3) Competing specialties: ENT & Plastic surgery are competitors in the academic world, but less so out in private practice. Many places have a strong ENT or Plastics program which may have the tendency to overshadow the other 2 departments. To a certain extent, this is political and also goes back to the faculty....you're only as strong as your faculty. On the other hand, the OMFS department in Shreveport (and other places) doesn't step aside for anyone and doesn't let anyone walk over them.

thank you for this informative post. it seems that shreveport is th eplace to be if you're an OMFsurgery junkie. do they have a 4-yr program?

OMFSCardsFan said:
Definitely...if you can swing it. There is more of an opportunity to get your hands dirty on more than daily clinic activity during a trauma month. I figure if you didn't want to touch patients, you'd be interested in ortho. =)

good adivce...I'm gonna try and swing two weeks in a trauma month....nothing sounds better than doing an I&D at 3 am!

north2southOMFS said:
I'd rather stick a fork in my eyeball.

or lick your t-i-t, for that matter... :D

north2southOMFS said:
I'd rather stick a fork in my eyeball.
Which is exactly why we like having externs...

OMFSCardsFan said:
We won't really expect you to know anything, but if you figure out how to suture and do I&Ds, you'll make a good first impression for yourself.
I'm still waiting for you...

fightingspirit said:
thank you for this informative post. it seems that shreveport is th eplace to be if you're an OMFsurgery junkie. do they have a 4-yr program?
No. They offer a one year internship which OMSCardsFan is currently doing.

ObeG said:
Does anyone know the contact info for the OMFS program at LSU Shreveport? It says the OMFS wesite is "Coming soon" I would like to do an externship there this summer...
thanks

I know several people that have gone through LSU-----Do not apply there unless you like hell

sevodes said:
I know several people that have gone through LSU-----Do not apply there unless you like hell
I guess than call me beelzebub....
seriously though, why else would you do an externship? don't you want to go through the most grueling 2 weeks to make sure you can cut it? I figure if you can hang at a place like "hell" aka shreveport, you can hang anywhere....

ObeG said:
I guess than call me beelzebub....
seriously though, why else would you do an externship? don't you want to go through the most grueling 2 weeks to make sure you can cut it? I figure if you can hang at a place like "hell" aka shreveport, you can hang anywhere....

the only thing you have to worry about is the louisiana swamp virus:

it will cripple you. :barf:

Swamp Yankee said:
the only thing you have to worry about is the louisiana swamp virus:

it will cripple you. :barf:
As long as you stay away from TX's wife, you don't have to worry about it...

tx oms said:
No. They offer a one year internship which OMSCardsFan is currently doing.
It was a good deal...they promised me that TX would be "removed" from the program by then, and I'd be filling up the empty spot. The one thing I worry about is how you're going to pay for that headlamp without your resident salary...I heard that Ghali is taking it out of your book fund...

sevodes said:
By "like hell," I assume that you mean "like to operate," or in LSU-NO's case, "like to tread water." It would be interesting to go somewhere where you get to watch your attendings operate for six years...observing is for p*ssies...

sevodes said:

Shreve isn't glorious or "white collar"... what makes it so good is that there is soo much stuff to see and do and even for a dental student (if you aren't work brittle and if you go during trauma month). I would call Shreve hell if you don't like work and your physical stamina is "ortho-soft".

esclavo said:
...I would call Shreve hell if you don't like work and your physical stamina is "ortho-soft".
a.k.a. "ortho-limp"

I am a student worker at LSU-Shrev, who would I need to contact to see if a can shadow for a day or two?

i think one of the shreveport residents should write one of those joms
"from the teaching clinics" articles on your program. everyone could get all
"bow-tied" up for a group photo out in front of the new clinic (like the harvard boys from a few months ago); you could could talk about how shreveport was discovered by toothless settlers from texas one hundred years ago and how the program has developed into a training institution of unparalled proportion. you should be sure to describe lsu-shreveport's rise to power in great detail, including how it went on to aquire weapons grade plutonium in the late '90s, and how they plan to use it on parkland in the not too distant future. check out the april joms, your predecessors to the west have a lengthy feature (and a well-designed study to go along with it).
it is time; they must be crushed.

FuturoDentista said:
I am a student worker at LSU-Shrev, who would I need to contact to see if a can shadow for a day or two?
I'm not really sure, but if you stop by the clinic, we can help you figure it out. I doubt there will be much paperwork to do if you're only going to observe. We haven't had any non-extern "shadows" since I've been here, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about it...

Swamp Yankee said:
i think one of the shreveport residents should write one of those joms
"from the teaching clinics" articles on your program. everyone could get all
"bow-tied" up for a group photo out in front of the new clinic (like the harvard boys from a few months ago); you could could talk about how shreveport was discovered by toothless settlers from texas one hundred years ago and how the program has developed into a training institution of unparalled proportion. you should be sure to describe lsu-shreveport's rise to power in great detail, including how it went on to aquire weapons grade plutonium in the late '90s, and how they plan to use it on parkland in the not too distant future. check out the april joms, your predecessors to the west have a lengthy feature (and a well-designed study to go along with it).
it is time; they must be crushed.
Dude, you crack me up. It's going to be entertaining having you around...