LTAC hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EASM

Reaction score
I have been offered a job where I will work as a hospitalist at LTAC. I never been to one and I am wondering from your experience guys, what to expect and what is the downside of being a hospitalist in LTAC?

Members don't see this ad.

LTACs will have many trached and chronically vented patients. You should definitely ask if there is pulmonary coverage and what specifically you will be expected to manage, especially if you are not comfortable dealing with trach related issues.

Otherwise they tend to be pretty relaxed gigs if you don’t mind the patient population. Lots of people that don’t have much quality of life or chance for recovery, can get pretty depressing.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been offered a job where I will work as a hospitalist at LTAC. I never been to one and I am wondering from your experience guys, what to expect and what is the downside of being a hospitalist in LTAC?
what kind of numbers? (if you don't mind me asking). I mean $$$

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of numbers? (if you don't mind me asking). I mean $$$
They actually have not discussed the pay yet and I am not sure how different it should be than the regular hospitalist!

A co-fellow of mine used to moonlight at the local LTAC. The pay was mediocre (I think it was like $80/hr) but it was more or less sleeping for dollars with a "rough" night being half a dozen pages and having to ship a chronically vented quadriplegic with TBI back to the hospital for urosepsis.

I can't imagine the daytime work is that much worse and hopefully pays at least 2x.

Reactions: 1 users
A co-fellow of mine used to moonlight at the local LTAC. The pay was mediocre (I think it was like $80/hr) but it was more or less sleeping for dollars with a "rough" night being half a dozen pages and having to ship a chronically vented quadriplegic with TBI back to the hospital for urosepsis.

I can't imagine the daytime work is that much worse and hopefully pays at least 2x.

Just sounds like sad work tbh...

Reactions: 1 user
Just sounds like sad work tbh...
Yeah...he tried to get me in on the deal, but I was never that desperate for money.
The way better moonlighting deal for that LTAC was the PCCM group at my residency hospital that covered vent management there. It was completely voluntary so only a few of the attendings did it but they got $250 just to carry the pager overnight. They got paid $100/page and $500 to go in.
Most of the ones who did it lived close to the LTAC and would just go in every time they got paged since it would take them 15-20 minutes to deal with it by phone and 30 minutes to drive in and deal with it in person.

Reactions: 1 users