Lucky Mechanical Pencil not Allowed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scalpel179

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to begin the test when they insert a "new" rule that I would not be allowed to use my mechanical pencil. I was crushed! This pencil has been with me through thick and thin. Call me crazy, but I have had the same cheap ol' pencil since I began college. She has served me well and yesterday was not given her chance. Man, I'm still bummed. :eek:

Nontheless, I think that I pulled through managed with another pencil. Anyway, anyone else experience something similiar?

I guess that I should make it more clear, no one was allowed mechanical pencils. It was quite commical when the exam procters had to scavenge for enough plane old number 2 pencils for all of us who planned on using mechanical pencils.

Members don't see this ad.

scalpel179 said:
So I'm getting ready to begin the test when they insert a "new" rule that I would not be allowed to use my mechanical pencil. I was crushed! This pencil has been with me through thick and thin. Call me crazy, but I have had the same cheap ol' pencil since I began college. She has served me well and yesterday was not given her chance. Man, I'm still bummed. :eek:

Nontheless, I think that I pulled through managed with another pencil. Anyway, anyone else experience something similiar?

Why would they deny you the use of a mechanical pencil?

scalpel179 said:

I guess that I should make it more clear, no one was allowed mechanical pencils. It was quite commical when the exam procters had to scavenge for enough plane old number 2 pencils for all of us who planned on using mechanical pencils.
That's odd. I also love using a mechanical pencil, although I don't have a "lucky" one. Wish I did!! Mine are #2 lead, as are most I think, so I don't understand why the proctor had a problem with it. :confused:

you should've known. mechanical pencils....what were you thinking?! shame on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird- they let me use mine.

The proctors were probably on a power trip ;)

There's nothing in the rules they read about no mechanical pencils. Just about everybody in my room was using them. I would have been pretty mad if I couldn't use mine!

Mine said that we could use mechanical pencils but warned us that in the past, some scantrons were not able to be read correctly due to mechanical pencils. That scared me so I used the pencil Kaplan gave me in the morning as well as one of my proctor's pencils.

Ridiculous. The rules never disallow mechanical pencils. The rules do specify a black ballpoint pen for WS, but the proctor text modifies that to basically "any pen with dark black ink." Not that pencil choice has much of an effect on multiple choice scores, but still.