LUCOM - Liberty College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMS1 Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current student to answer questions 100% honestly...please don't bother with rude comments/debate I don't have the time...I'm happy to answer questions about my experience thus far. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Current student to answer questions 100% honestly...please don't bother with rude comments/debate I don't have the time...I'm happy to answer questions about my experience thus far. :)
You've been digging up a lot of old threads lately.
There are plenty of other threads where people can ask questions to current students if they wish; no need to create another. Besides, I've read your same copy and pasted replies in several other threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've been digging up a lot of old threads lately.

There are plenty of other threads where people can ask questions to current students if they wish; no need to create another. Besides, I've read your same copy and pasted replies in several other threads.
Again dude I'll paste my own words wherever I please.

Hi. I saw you attend LUCOM. I'm in relatively close commute to LUCOM and considered applying, but they are very new. What is your input?
Thanks for your help.

Not the oldest necrobump we've had. 7/10

Reactions: 1 users
LUCOM:
My opinion:
Religious Christian school campus.
May have a harder time recruiting students with top stats than many other schools.
First class of students apparently had overall subpar COMLEX performance last summer.
Appears to me to be having difficulties obtaining enough in state or adjacent state rotation sites. E.g. they are located in Virginia but are sending students in 3rd year to a hospital in a small town in Illinois and to a small town in Texas.
Effingham IL is more than 600 miles from the LUCOM campus.
Palestine TX is more than 1100 miles from the LUCOM campus
http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=28248&MID=175326
http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=28248&MID=189441

Last edited:
First year class had a massive attrition rate.

LUCOM:
My opinion:
May have a harder time recruiting students with top stats than many other schools.
First class of students apparently had overall subpar COMLEX performance last summer.
Appears to me to be having difficulties obtaining enough in state or adjacent state rotation sites. E.g. they are located in Virginia but are sending students in 3rd year to a hospital in a small town in Illinois and to a small town in Texas.

Reactions: 2 users
First year class had a massive attrition rate.
what exactly is a "massive attrition rate?" Are you lumping students who were dismissed, repeated 1st year and left on their own? You made it sound like we lost 50 students.

what exactly is a "massive attrition rate?" Are you lumping students who were dismissed, repeated 1st year and left on their own? You made it sound like we lost 50 students.

Most attrition for medical schools is from self-selection. They leave due to family, illness, etc. It's often not-academic. Those first two you listed are bad things. And the % is the only thing that matters. 10 students from a 300 person class? Normal. 10 students from a 100 person class? Huge red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
The massive attrition rate at LUCOM is probably driven more by the quality of the student body than anything else in my opinion. Excluding the smart and extremely religious students who self select to go there, LUCOM is probably a DO school of last resort for a number of applicants. I saw on another thread that the entering class at NYIT-AR only has a MCAT average of 496 which is equivalent to a 22 on the old scale. If my theory holds, we will be seeing a massive attrition rate at some of these other new DO schools also.

Reactions: 3 users
Attrition also includes people who have to repeat the year, which I'd what I was referring to. LUCOM'S numbers were 2x the national avg for any med school.

Most attrition for medical schools is from self-selection. They leave due to family, illness, etc. It's often not-academic. Those first two you listed are bad things. And the % is the only thing that matters. 10 students from a 300 person class? Normal. 10 students from a 100 person class? Huge red flag.

The massive attrition rate at LUCOM is probably driven more by the quality of the student body than anything else in my opinion. Excluding the smart and extremely religious students who self select to go there, LUCOM is probably a DO school of last resort for a number of applicants. I saw on another thread that the entering class at NYIT-AR only has a MCAT average of 496 which is equivalent to a 22 on the old scale. If my theory holds, we will be seeing a massive attrition rate at some of these other new DO schools also.
That sounds like pod at my school. Admit 50 students then about 30-33 make it. It's horrible what's happening thanks to profit. Honestly, any school with attrition above 5% should be placed on probation. Any school with a board failure rate of 10% should receive some type of penalty.

You must be new here. Goro is a notorious self-serving troll with a very biased liberal agenda. Just ignore him. 1st year lost 10 ppl out of like 150, and their board pass was 89%, ~ 4% higher than the national pass rate for inaugural classes.

Reactions: 2 users

If it's legitimately a 22 then I expect that over 50% of the class will encounter some form of difficulty graduating in 4 years and passing boards. That is far below even LUCOM's 24 or 25 average.

You must be new here. Goro is a notorious self-serving troll with a very biased liberal agenda. Just ignore him. 1st year lost 10 ppl out of like 150, and their board pass was 89%, ~ 4% higher than the national pass rate for inaugural classes.
I'm not new, and I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I know what attrition is and what causes it...I merely wanted to see how Goro decides what "massive" is.

BTW, historically, what was the attrition rate for new schools? Is this attrition rate something unique to LUCOM? or has it happened to schools that were simply new?

I'm not new, and I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I know what attrition is and what causes it...I merely wanted to see how Goro decides what "massive" is.

BTW, historically, what was the attrition rate for new schools? Is this attrition rate something unique to LUCOM? or has it happened to schools that were simply new?
No you're not getting it. His choice to use the word "massive" was solely based on the conversation being about LUCOM. It's the same reason he likes to use the 10% figure when referring to 1st year attrition when the actual attrition is closer to like 6%, because it serves his agenda. He doesn't care about the data or informing pre-meds if it doesn't suit his opinion. It's a reoccurring theme of his.

Spare me, please. From two separate inside sources: the inaugural class lost 18 of 162 students, for an attrition rate of 11%.

Twelve failed or dropped out, but re-enrolled the next year. Five failed out and did not re-enroll.

Double digit attrition are indeed massive for an medical school outside the Caribbean.

Liberal indeed. Add to the above Faculty who don't know what they're doing.

The first time COMLEX failure rate is in line with new schools, so will cut them some slack on that.

I still can't recommend LUCOM to any prospect DO applicant.

And read the student handbook and it's list of don't, while the rest of you are a it.

No you're not getting it. His choice to use the word "massive" was solely based on the conversation being about LUCOM. It's the same reason he likes to use the 10% figure when referring to 1st year attrition when the actual attrition is closer to like 6%, because it serves his agenda. He doesn't care about the data or informing pre-meds if it doesn't suit his opinion. It's a reoccurring theme of his.

LUCOM:
My opinion:
Alternative facts! LUCOM had a first-time pass rate of ~89%, higher than the national average for first class test takers and the higher than the last like 11 new DO schools.

Also, lots of in-state rotation sites including a bunch right in Lynchburg.

I won't argue with anything else.

Alternative facts! LUCOM had a first-time pass rate of ~89%, higher than the national average for first class test takers and the higher than the last like 11 new DO schools.

Also, lots of in-state rotation sites including a bunch right in Lynchburg.

I won't argue with anything else.

Admittedly you guys took it on a year where the average pass rate was around 2% higher than usual at like 94-95%. But that's fine, I think the school isn't the worst thing on Earth and seems to be functioning. Though we will see what happens come the match.

Also never use the words alternative facts again.

Reactions: 3 users

Funny, my IRL friends who are in LUCOM's first class told me the attrition rate was much higher than 6%. I'm gonna believe them over the rando internet guy.

Funny, my IRL friends who are in LUCOM's first class told me the attrition rate was much higher than 6%. I'm gonna believe them over the rando internet guy.
That's valid. I encourage everyone to not take some rando internet guy's word for it (that goes for pretty much everyone here) and contact admissions themselves. SDN is obviously just not a reliable source of info on the school. Go ahead and do a search, it's always the same 5 trolls with no known affiliation to the school taking over the thread.

That's valid. I encourage everyone to not take some rando internet guy's word for it (that goes for pretty much everyone here) and contact admissions themselves. SDN is obviously just not a reliable source of info on the school. Go ahead and do a search, it's always the same 5 trolls with no known affiliation to the school taking over the thread.

Yeah, you can totally trust adcoms to tell you the truth.